im a mess god bless (help please) Watch

basicallyshrek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Im torn between three completely different courses for uni and I think its safe to say I have nooo idea what I'm doing academically at all...like if you think you were a mess you haven't seen me yet.

My A levels are: Computer Science, Psychology, Spanish

^ weird af choice but thats another story

So the courses I need help deciding on are:

Digital Media/Creative Computing (I feel like they're pretty much the same thing)
Environmental Science
Educational Psychology

I dont know how on earth I'm going to write a personal statement for all three so I obviously need to pick a direction and I'm just stuck.
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
hate to do this but bump because i need advice
anonymous1231231
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
what are the pros and cons of doing them?
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by basicallyshrek)
Im torn between three completely different courses for uni and I think its safe to say I have nooo idea what I'm doing academically at all...like if you think you were a mess you haven't seen me yet.

My A levels are: Computer Science, Psychology, Spanish

^ weird af choice but thats another story

So the courses I need help deciding on are:

Digital Media/Creative Computing (I feel like they're pretty much the same thing)
Environmental Science
Educational Psychology

I dont know how on earth I'm going to write a personal statement for all three so I obviously need to pick a direction and I'm just stuck.
Write 3 proper PSs, one for each course you are considering. That's likely to help you decide which course you actually prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
generally solid advice for young people who can't decide what they want to do (which is a lot of them!) is:

Choose a course that keeps the highest number of acceptable options open.

So, for you - look at each of the three courses you have stated, and look very closely at where they lead to after graduation.

Look at: 1 - possible post-graduate study options
2 - industry specific work options
3 - general non-specific graduate work options
4 - possible transfers/cross overs with other industries.

Remember as well, that by not choosing to study an option, does not necessarily mean its closed to you forever. If you study environmental science, there is no reason why you can't self-learn digital media, and run digital media projects/businesses on the side etc.

- when you have looked at where they all lead, and the one that keeps the most options open, that you deem acceptable, then - unless you have a preference - go with that one, because for most graduates who don't know exactly what they want to do, keeping options open now, means they are more likely to end up in an acceptable path later, rather then feeling stuck in their 3rd year, regretting their choice.
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Write 3 proper PSs, one for each course you are considering. That's likely to help you decide which course you actually prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is...amazing advice omfg thank u so so much, i dont know why I didn't think of this haha!

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
generally solid advice for young people who can't decide what they want to do (which is a lot of them!) is:

Choose a course that keeps the highest number of acceptable options open.

So, for you - look at each of the three courses you have stated, and look very closely at where they lead to after graduation.

Look at: 1 - possible post-graduate study options
2 - industry specific work options
3 - general non-specific graduate work options
4 - possible transfers/cross overs with other industries.

Remember as well, that by not choosing to study an option, does not necessarily mean its closed to you forever. If you study environmental science, there is no reason why you can't self-learn digital media, and run digital media projects/businesses on the side etc.

- when you have looked at where they all lead, and the one that keeps the most options open, that you deem acceptable, then - unless you have a preference - go with that one, because for most graduates who don't know exactly what they want to do, keeping options open now, means they are more likely to end up in an acceptable path later, rather then feeling stuck in their 3rd year, regretting their choice.
Omg you're a godsend thank you so much, I did have a look at career options after but it was without direction ngl. Being stuck in 3rd year n hating my course is like the one of the things I'm most afraid of tbh Thanks again for such great advice
dermo80145
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
If you study environmental science, there is no reason why you can't self-learn digital media, and run digital media projects/businesses on the side etc.
Pursuing any successful path in the creative sector needs more a lot more than a youtube education
Last edited by dermo80145; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (44)
16.36%
The paper was reasonable (131)
48.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (61)
22.68%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
12.27%

Watched Threads