rubbishatgcse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am doing an EPQ on the Peleponnesian war based around the question - 'Which factor played the most crucial role in the defeat of Athens in the Peloponnesian War?'. Any points/ factors to help would be appreciated.
Telamonian Ajax
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could mention Sparta's blocking of the Hellespont to block Athenian food imports and thus making it a war of attrition. I think Xenophon mentions this one but I'm not entirely sure.

Perhaps the failure of the Sicilian expedition in 415 BC could be used as a major factor, but I couldn't really say.
rubbishatgcse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Telamonian Ajax)
You could mention Sparta's blocking of the Hellespont to block Athenian food imports and thus making it a war of attrition. I think Xenophon mentions this one but I'm not entirely sure.

Perhaps the failure of the Sicilian expedition in 415 BC could be used as a major factor, but I couldn't really say.
What factor do you think was the most effective for Athens loss, I think I would say the plague.
Telamonian Ajax
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, I think it might be difficult to give one sole factor for Athens' defeat, but if you look at different reasons and explain, upon looking at the evidence, that it is the result of many events rather than just one, that would probably be ok.

Then again, you may know more than I and this may be little to no help.
rubbishatgcse
Rep:
?
Honestly, I think it might be difficult to give one sole factor for Athens' defeat, but if you look at different reasons and explain, upon looking at the evidence, that it is the result of many events rather than just one, that would probably be ok.

Then again, you may know more than I and this may be little to no help.
I think that you're right and I chose this topic without having any prior knowledge and didnt think that it would be so broad XD oh well
Telamonian Ajax
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rubbishatgcse)
What factor do you think was the most effective for Athens loss, I think I would say the plague.
I think that perhaps the only connection that you could make there was that Pericles' death meant that Athenian strategy changed and they would begin to engage Sparta and her allies in land combat rather than just naval. But when it comes to a death toll, again, it is difficult to say.

I think that Athens was just worn down slowly. The war of attrition, the Sicilian expedition, the change in strategy and perhaps even Sparta's Persian alliance were, for me, all factors in Athens' downfall.
Telamonian Ajax
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you doing Ancient History at A-level?
rubbishatgcse
Rep:
?
Are you doing Ancient History at A-level?
Nope, I don't do any remotely close, Ancient history is an interest of mine and I wanted to learn about this war so thought an EPQ was a good idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (121)
62.37%
I don't have everything I need (73)
37.63%

Watched Threads