Electron configuration of Krypton Watch

DrDanB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am confused, my textbook gives the impression that Krypton's electronic configuration would be 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6, 4s2, 3d10, 4p6. However, the 3d orbital is surely in a lower energy level so would be filled before the 4s orbital, giving the true electronic configuration of Krypton to be 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6, 3d10, 4s2, 4p6.

Can anyone reassure me that my textbook is wrong and I'm not just losing my mind?
Reality Check
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DrDanB)
I am confused, my textbook gives the impression that Krypton's electronic configuration would be 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6, 4s2, 3d10, 4p6. However, the 3d orbital is surely in a lower energy level so would be filled before the 4s orbital, giving the true electronic configuration of Krypton to be 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6, 3d10, 4s2, 4p6.

Can anyone reassure me that my textbook is wrong and I'm not just losing my mind?
No,this is a common misconception. The 4s orbital is of lower energy than the 3d, and fills first.
DrDanB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
No,this is a common misconception. The 4s orbital is of lower energy than the 3d, and fills first.
Thank you for the clarification.

But I think it's safe to say that it's probably more than just a "common misconception". I mean, half the internet totally suppress this misconception. :banghead:
Reality Check
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DrDanB)
Thank you for the clarification.

But I think it's safe to say that it's probably more than just a "common misconception". I mean, half the internet totally suppress this misconception. :banghead:
haha - yes, exactly.
Linalolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
no its true. Its a big rule we learn in chemistry. Look at the periodic table and notice the s block is before the d block. so even though its 4s2 is 4 and 3d10 is in 3, its still before as it comes first in the periodic table.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (115)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.85%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.02%

Watched Threads