The Student Room Group

What are the best degrees to have in this ever changing job economy

So I'm almost decided in terms of what degree I may wish to pursue in the future but I wished to have further input.
I'm looking for a degree that is in emerging or established markets that is continuously growing.

As well as for a degree that is easy to transfer over to different countries

It can not be a niche subject
It must be available at all levels in jobs

Like a maths degree is versatile and can used anywhere after graduation
It can not be an essay type subject as I both despise and have absolutly zero talent in those

Scroll to see replies

None really. While there are some skills which are always needed in the workplace (such as team-working and communication skills), it's entirely down to your own willingness and ability to adapt and respond to the needs and demands of your employer(s)/client(s) throughout your career which will determine your long-term job prospects and your value in the job market.

A degree is an academic endeavour rather than something which is particularly tailored to the workplace. In general, a university education is of little use when it comes to training for new hands-on vocational skills. The day-to-day skills you'll use in any job will change and evolve; all you can do is keep up. It's really up to you throughout your career to either put yourself in a position where you're learning new skills on the job (and making sure you never stagnate by staying in the same job for too long), or actively seeking out training outside of the workplace.

When it comes to choosing a degree, the best thing to do is choose something you enjoy. The first few years of your career are really the only point in your life when your degree really has any meaningful effect on your employability prospects; once you're established into a particular career it's largely irrelevant to you.

Aside from the fact the passage of time will cause your university memories to fade; you'll be judged far more on the things you'll have achieved and learned in the years since graduating; particularly on the value that your skills and experience can bring to a company or client who's looking to hire you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Most degrees related to medicine, comp sci and engineering. in that order
Reply 3
Sports Science, sports been around for thousands of years it's not gonna change anytime soon
computer science
Reply 5
An English degree is always useful because it's transferable to many things, and if you later on decide on a more definite course it gives you freedom. Unless you're more of a science and maths person in which case go for those degrees. Basic, very vague degrees where you have a breadth of choice are good, pair it with something you like too so it's not always a drag.
Gender studies
Reply 7
Computer science ftw , we be automating everything lmao
Medicine. Or CompSci, but you simply can't beat the stability of a Medicine degree.
the best jobs in terms of which ones are most likely to help you earn more on average?

computer science
mathematics
medicine
engineering
physics
law

but bear in mind there are outliers and people who work in different fields that make more or less than the average. provided you can realistically afford rent and essentials, you should do the thing that you want because a) you're more likely to enjoy it and not feel like you're wasting your time and b) you're more likely to do better and get a higher degree class.
Reply 10
anything stem and you're fine
Reply 11
Anything with an 'ology. Or Pottery.

Spoiler

Reply 12
hahah nice , but im not asian lmao
Original post by Inspiringvisons
So I'm almost decided in terms of what degree I may wish to pursue in the future but I wished to have further input.
I'm looking for a degree that is in emerging or established markets that is continuously growing.

As well as for a degree that is easy to transfer over to different countries

It can not be a niche subject
It must be available at all levels in jobs

Like a maths degree is versatile and can used anywhere after graduation
It can not be an essay type subject as I both despise and have absolutly zero talent in those
Depends what job you want. Or if you want a job that doesn't exist yet: Maths.:yy:
Original post by auburnstar
the best jobs in terms of which ones are most likely to help you earn more on average?

computer science
mathematics
medicine
engineering
physics
law

but bear in mind there are outliers and people who work in different fields that make more or less than the average. provided you can realistically afford rent and essentials, you should do the thing that you want because a) you're more likely to enjoy it and not feel like you're wasting your time and b) you're more likely to do better and get a higher degree class.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the time you've taken to answer this.

Anyway I was thinking more in terms of high wages and it being versatile enough to move to any country.
Original post by Leti-
An English degree is always useful because it's transferable to many things, and if you later on decide on a more definite course it gives you freedom. Unless you're more of a science and maths person in which case go for those degrees. Basic, very vague degrees where you have a breadth of choice are good, pair it with something you like too so it's not always a drag.

But the issue is it is so subjective. On one day you could be a A* student on one paper while on the same paper a different examinar will view it as a (C) paper.
In stem subjects the answer is always (example) no matter who marks it.
If you work hard enough for an A* you will get it. You will never be surprised by a B or a C.
.... Lol
Original post by Raen
Sports Science, sports been around for thousands of years it's not gonna change anytime soon

I'm not really a sports person and even if I was the market is absolutely saturated.
(edited 5 years ago)
Medicine, nursing and teaching.
Original post by winterscoming
None really. While there are some skills which are always needed in the workplace (such as team-working and communication skills), it's entirely down to your own willingness and ability to adapt and respond to the needs and demands of your employer(s)/client(s) throughout your career which will determine your long-term job prospects and your value in the job market.

A degree is an academic endeavour rather than something which is particularly tailored to the workplace. In general, a university education is of little use when it comes to training for new hands-on vocational skills. The day-to-day skills you'll use in any job will change and evolve; all you can do is keep up. It's really up to you throughout your career to either put yourself in a position where you're learning new skills on the job (and making sure you never stagnate by staying in the same job for too long), or actively seeking out training outside of the workplace.

When it comes to choosing a degree, the best thing to do is choose something you enjoy. The first few years of your career are really the only point in your life when your degree really has any meaningful effect on your employability prospects; once you're established into a particular career it's largely irrelevant to you.

Aside from the fact the passage of time will cause your university memories to fade; you'll be judged far more on the things you'll have achieved and learned in the years since graduating; particularly on the value that your skills and experience can bring to a company or client who's looking to hire you.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer but I was thinking in terms of what degrees will open more doors.
I understand that regardless of what degree I take I will need to work hard with developing skills and work experience

Quick Reply

Latest