The Student Room Group

Music GCSE

Hi everyone!
I'm just starting Year 10 now, and I have chosen Music GCSE, but although lots of people are saying that it's quite easy, I have found that I'm struggling.
I am grade 5 piano (doing next exam around march), but I have done no theory at all, and I did not realise that there would be so much theory included in the Music GCSE.
Have any of you had experience with this, and do you think I'll still be able to get the top grades (7,8,9) in the exam?
Thanks!
Original post by thatgeekystudent
Hi everyone!
I'm just starting Year 10 now, and I have chosen Music GCSE, but although lots of people are saying that it's quite easy, I have found that I'm struggling.
I am grade 5 piano (doing next exam around march), but I have done no theory at all, and I did not realise that there would be so much theory included in the Music GCSE.
Have any of you had experience with this, and do you think I'll still be able to get the top grades (7,8,9) in the exam?
Thanks!

You’re only in year 10, you have a LOT of time to improve, as long as you’re enjoying it then you’ll learn even quicker. Music is defiantly not an easy subject as it requires a lot of skill, in GCSEs not so much but still.
Original post by ZsDeividas
You’re only in year 10, you have a LOT of time to improve, as long as you’re enjoying it then you’ll learn even quicker. Music is defiantly not an easy subject as it requires a lot of skill, in GCSEs not so much but still.
Okay thanks! Do you think it will get easier for me or will it be really hard like it is now???
Original post by thatgeekystudent
Okay thanks! Do you think it will get easier for me or will it be really hard like it is now???

It will get easier for sure, you’ll be fine. Everything gets easier within time, just focus in lessons and do all your homework.
theory doesnt have much impact tbh, you need to be able to read music obviously and be able to dictate it, but its really not that bad.
I'm in year 11 doing music GCSE right now and it is definitely a lot easier than when I first started. Saying that, music is quite a bit harder than a lot of people may think - but as long as you focus and work hard throughout year 10, you'll find that you'll begin to understand the content much better.
hi! personally i wouldn't say that any GCSEs are 'easy' but i suppose it's personal opinion :biggrin:
i do music gcse, and i was grade 4 cello when i started, with no music theory knowledge. I think the most important thing is to keep going over the theory until you understand it :yep: i found that it does get easier as i went along, but again, personal opinion :smile:

you will definitely be able to get top grades!

EDIT: despite not knowing any music theory at the start of year 10, i am now in year 11 and am predicted an 8 :smile: (through hard work and asking questions when stuck)
(edited 5 years ago)
I was in exactly the same boat as you! When I started it felt like everyone was ahead of me, because I was only Grade 5 piano and I hadn't done theory either. As long as you like it and you're willing to put effort into it, you should be fine. If you do feel yourself getting overwhelmed or find yourself hating the subject, then I would reconsider the GCSE. But prior knowledge doesn't mean much for Music GCSE I think - you're there to learn, after all!
you definitely still have a chance,maybe try to do your grade 5 theory this REALLY helps trust me good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending