az2031
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Is anyone genuinely worried about the prospect of a no-deal? I’ve just told my parents that I am and have been shot down, ‘it won’t affect me’ apparently.

Thoughts?

I’m so passionate about this because it’s a future I never voted nor had the option to vote for. I’m too young to vote and was too young in 2016.

Please tell me how you feel, I’m fascinated about Brexit!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The UK will get a deal, but it won't get through parliament, so no deal. Cannot wait to be honest.
az2031
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
The UK will get a deal, but it won't get through parliament, so no deal. Cannot wait to be honest.
Can’t wait to leave? Interesting! To trade with others and to limit immigration?
tsr intellectual
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It's a future TAX PAYERS voted for you entitled little commie
az2031
Rep:
?
(Original post by tsr intellectual)
It's a future TAX PAYERS voted for you entitled little commie
Interesting, you have to pay tax to vote? Does that mean democracy is a subscription?

(Sorry, I’m just interested)
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Not surprised you haven't left the country yet...
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by az2031)
Can’t wait to leave? Interesting! To trade with others and to limit immigration?
Yes, i'm 33 and have enough life experience to make a good decision. When I was younger, at a time with an influx of Polish etc, they took all the jobs. One example was applying for a new car washing service at my local Tesco, and my Dad drove me up there to hand CV out etc. On the way back he said that all the individuals who get employment will be immigrants. Damn, he was completely psychic and laughed, on top of that there was the day whereby British companies advertised over a million jobs abroad, not available to our citizens.

Secondly, we have so many homeless people on our streets that need being dealt with and would bite your arm off for one of those jobs. It also doesn't help that companies do not have to pay a workforce tax (cannot remember what it was called) on foreign workers, and take advantage of this and potential lower wages given out. Aside from that, I'm tired of walking down every ****ing street hearing a different foreign language every bloody five minutes, Jesus ****ing christ. Rant over.
az2031
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
Not surprised you haven't left the country yet...
Pardon?
az2031
Rep:
?
Yes, i'm 33 and have enough life experience to make a good decision. When I was younger, at a time with an influx of Polish etc, they took all the jobs. One example was applying for a new car washing service at my local Tesco, and my Dad drove me up there to hand CV out etc. On the way back he said that all the individuals who get employment will be immigrants. Damn, he was completely psychic and laughed, on top of that there was the day whereby British companies advertised over a million jobs abroad, not available to our citizens.

Secondly, we have so many homeless people on our streets that need being dealt with and would bite your arm off for one of those jobs. It also doesn't help that companies do not have to pay a workforce tax (cannot remember what it was called) on foreign workers, and take advantage of this and potential lower wages given out. Aside from that, I'm tired of walking down every ****ing street hearing a different foreign language every bloody five minutes, Jesus ****ing christ. Rant over.
All makes sense, thanks!
pdnd373
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
To get rid of the disgusting CAP and to increase accountability.

But rip privacy laws. That's what I will miss (the UK has a lot worse track record on issues regarding privacy, IMO.)

Interesting, you have to pay tax to vote? Does that mean democracy is a subscription?

(Sorry, I’m just interested)
Would you prefer no taxation?
az2031
Rep:
?
(Original post by pdnd373)
Would you prefer no taxation?
I get most of it but don’t see how the CAP is disgusting.

No, I fully support taxation but didn’t completely understand an earlier comment
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Pardon?
If you are genuinely worried, you would have started planning your future by looking at applying to study abroad. Because no deal could easily mean international sanctions against the UK.
az2031
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
If you are genuinely worried, you would have started planning your future by looking at applying to study abroad. Because no deal could easily mean international sanctions against the UK.
Yeah, I mean I’d got a uni in Paris in mind anyway. It seems more like a reality as the weeks go on 😂
pdnd373
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I get most of it but don’t see how the CAP is disgusting.

No, I fully support taxation but didn’t completely understand an earlier comment
I remember reading this ages ago.

This is mostly right.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4194793

Farmers are awarded money; the amount is decided by how much land these farmers have at their disposal.
There is no cap on how much money can be awarded.
Proportionally a corporate farmer and a small farmer are going to be awarded the same amount (respective to how much land they have.)
But corporate/big farmers are already well-established, already have the most efficient farming technologies, already can invest in R&D.
So the way I see it, it distorts the market to larger farmers, and makes the smaller farmers even more dependant on it.
It cements the coporate farmers position in the food market.
And it therefore completely fails in its objective to support farmers (whom have like 4x the suicide rates of the population. I have no idea how much could be attributed to this or the situation prior.) But nothing has changed because corporate farmers have lobbyists preventing any change. CAP already doesn't benefit the UK unlike how it benefits countries like France for example because both France and the UK have high GDPs for its size (so we contribute a lot to the EU budget), but we have a lot smaller land mass, and therefore a lot less farmland (so we disproportionally lose out.) (Hence why Thatcher negotiated the rebate.) Tony Blair tried to reform CAP in 2004(I think, if I recall correctly), but we lost part of the rebate (20%?) and the reform never went through (probs because of French lobbyists in part, for example. We didn't benefit from it, whereas other countries have.) (We lost quite a bit of leverage to negotiate a better CAP after this as a result, because other countries liked to make the point that we were being treated specially and claimed it was unfair.)
And then many in Britain whine that we have a rebate when we had it negotiated for a reason.

But meh, I'm no economist nor a student of politics.
toilet_talk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I hope brexit causes most academics to lose their jobs. Useless *****.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
According to those remain campaigners ...we should be by now foraging for food with no jobs to go to ...with no food or water and be begging the EU to allow us back in .....
Isn't it disgraceful how well the economy is still doing .
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A job is not yours until you earn it. If a British person loses out in the competitive job market for a low skill job to someone who speaks English as a second language, they really need to take a good look at themselves.

Despite the influx of migrant workers, we have record low unemployment. The johnny foreigner took my job narrative simply does not work anymore.

Aside from that, I'm tired of walking down every ****ing street hearing a different foreign language every bloody five minutes, Jesus ****ing christ. Rant over.
Oh, those foreign languages assaulting your delicate little ears? You poor thing. Stop being so fragile and toughen up.
az2031
Rep:
?
Enough of the ********, 15 vacancies and all immigrants, damn your head is so far up your arse you cannot see daylight. Ignorance and youth go hand in hand and always will.
I think you’ve gone a bit far there mate.
I’m a student in foreign languages and I can tell you they are beautiful. Your ignorance and youth comment is completely uncalled for
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think we are now seeing what the rest of Europe think of us . It's us against the rest and that's how we need to think in regards to these negotiations . The gloves are off and we may need to administer a few elbows to the ribs ( no....you we won't paying the EU £39 million until we are completely satisfied with the deal) . I don't think things will go the 11th hour because I'm not sure that would be in our best interests. However I think we all need to stick together and back Theresa May and her team . Stabbing her in the back is only going to weaken us and our position . A simple point that our European counterparts are well aware of .
Onwards and upwards in the meantime .
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If we exit with no deal, the pound is going to sink like a stone. Over night, imports on basics like bread, pasta, rice, veg and meat are going to sky rocket. It will affect everyone badly... a part from those who are wealthy with overseas investments paying them in foreign currency. You know - people like Reece Mogg and Farage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (153)
24.68%
Pop (149)
24.03%
Jazz (26)
4.19%
Classical (36)
5.81%
Hip-Hop (109)
17.58%