Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I need tips for geography, like do I watch the news and stuff to get the geog grammar..I'm good st English so essays aren't an issue but I'm doing it for gcse and i can't read a map, any advice? I can't drop it cause I'm rubbish at everything else
Chubbynoel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
I need tips for geography, like do I watch the news and stuff to get the geog grammar..I'm good st English so essays aren't an issue but I'm doing it for gcse and i can't read a map, any advice? I can't drop it cause I'm rubbish at everything else
wdym geog grammar?
go to cool geography. com - it helps for paper 3 map skills etc.
Msbrownie.xo
Rep:
?
Just read this over and it seems so depressing lmaoo
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
map reading is a very little component of paper 3 (providing you're on AQA)
deffo recommend learning the case studies inside out and make sure you've got all the processes (like stacks and stumps, stuff like that) down to the point where you can describe them in steps
make sure you're confident on all the different types of questions (describe, explain, evaluate) and know what marks they're awarded
SBizzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do Geography as well, are there required case studies or do they just come up
Msbrownie.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by SBizzy)
I do Geography as well, are there required case studies or do they just come up
Cause I've just started year ten, i don't really know about the case studies but right now I'm doing like urbanisation and population distribution so yh
Msbrownie.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by troubletracking)
map reading is a very little component of paper 3 (providing you're on AQA)
deffo recommend learning the case studies inside out and make sure you've got all the processes (like stacks and stumps, stuff like that) down to the point where you can describe them in steps
make sure you're confident on all the different types of questions (describe, explain, evaluate) and know what marks they're awarded
Yh I'm on aqa thanks for the tips, so is geography, essay based with information cause if so that's 🤙🏾🤙🏾
Msbrownie.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chubbynoel)
wdym geog grammar?
go to cool geography. com - it helps for paper 3 map skills etc.
I meant like writing in a way a geographer writes, idrk how to explain it, ig using loads of key words
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh I'm on aqa thanks for the tips, so is geography, essay based with information cause if so that's 🤙🏾🤙🏾
Mm, I'd say half and half. There's usually two 9 markers on each paper, and one of those is a 12 marker (3 marks for SPaG added), and they're your bigger essays where you need to write in paragraphs (so along the lines of agree, disagree, conclusion with opinion) These 9 markers are pretty much always on your case studies (hence why you could probably scrape a pass just by just knowing them), apart the one (or two??it was a while ago now ahaha) in the second half of paper three, cos they're on the application stuff you did (or will do) trips on.
Theres a bunch of six markers that still need consideration with paragarhs, though nothing on level of planning you'd put into a 9 marker (not much, tho, just a quick scribble beecause you haven't got much time)
The rest is anything from 4 marks to 1 marks, with lots of science-esk tick boxes, question and answers, multiple choice, you get the idea.
I'm a very essay kinda person like you too, and I geography was one of my best exams. Idk if you do history, but I found it a lot easier than that because a lot of it is really just general knowledge. I just learnt the case studies and pretty much everything else made so much sense to me it stuck in my head, or it was common sense (if in doubt in paper 1: climate change; if in doubt on paper two: positive multiplier effect)
Msbrownie.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by troubletracking)
Mm, I'd say half and half. There's usually two 9 markers on each paper, and one of those is a 12 marker (3 marks for SPaG added), and they're your bigger essays where you need to write in paragraphs (so along the lines of agree, disagree, conclusion with opinion) These 9 markers are pretty much always on your case studies (hence why you could probably scrape a pass just by just knowing them), apart the one (or two??it was a while ago now ahaha) in the second half of paper three, cos they're on the application stuff you did (or will do) trips on.
Theres a bunch of six markers that still need consideration with paragarhs, though nothing on level of planning you'd put into a 9 marker (not much, tho, just a quick scribble beecause you haven't got much time)
The rest is anything from 4 marks to 1 marks, with lots of science-esk tick boxes, question and answers, multiple choice, you get the idea.
I'm a very essay kinda person like you too, and I geography was one of my best exams. Idk if you do history, but I found it a lot easier than that because a lot of it is really just general knowledge. I just learnt the case studies and pretty much everything else made so much sense to me it stuck in my head, or it was common sense (if in doubt in paper 1: climate change; if in doubt on paper two: positive multiplier effect)
Thank you so much i will be using these tips, I don't do history I'm good at it and I was going to but my sister said it's too much content and I don't enjoy it. Thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads