The Student Room Group

What universities should I be looking at with these GCSEs

I received 10a*s (8&9s) & one 5 in English language.
Doing maths, biology and chemistry at A level.
Probably want to do a biochem degree or something related to science & lab work
Which unis will accept these grades (specifically English)
Original post by Ravenreyes

bro u going all out...u gonna be out there in oxford and cambridge man u name it
Reply 2

Ye you can go for that oxbridge if you get those A levels for sure. Now you've done your GCSE. Now do your A levels XD
Reply 3
It sounds like you're going to get high predicted grades for A-Level, which will definitely give you a wide range of options. You've got a strong pass in English, so it shouldn't hold you back, since you're not taking it at A-Level.
Reply 4
Original post by ibyghee
Ye you can go for that oxbridge if you get those A levels for sure. Now you've done your GCSE. Now do your A levels XD

Ok thank you, I really hope I can get into a good uni and I really am worrying ab the English & yes A-levels are the priority 😀 now
Reply 5
Original post by kb_123xx
bro u going all out...u gonna be out there in oxford and cambridge man u name it

Yooo thanks I was really worried about the English tho, because some unis don’t like 5,hopefully I won’t get rejected on that!
Reply 6
Imperial is the dream or any good uni in London tbh, loool I’m sorry for being annoying I’ll stop with the worrying hahaha :smile:))
Reply 7
Original post by Beth_H
It sounds like you're going to get high predicted grades for A-Level, which will definitely give you a wide range of options. You've got a strong pass in English, so it shouldn't hold you back, since you're not taking it at A-Level.

Very concerned with English, because most unis want a 6 do you think they will take into account my other grades, including the 8 in English lit? I really do not want to resit after all my hard work and just want to focus on A-levels. :frown:(
Reply 8

Any at all, just so long as you meet their English GCSE requirement. So, for example, you would be unsuccessful at UCL for Biochem because they require a B/6, but Cambridge (NatSci) and Oxford (Biochem) don't care.

Imperial requires a B/6 in English.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/requirements/english/#

Very concerned with English, because most unis want a 6 do you think they will take into account my other grades, including the 8 in English lit? I really do not want to resit after all my hard work and just want to focus on A-levels. :frown:(

Ask them, but they tend to be strict on their English requirements. Many don't require a B/6 and will be fine with a C/5.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
Any at all, just so long as you meet their English GCSE requirement. So, for example, you would be unsuccessful at UCL for Biochem because they require a B/6, but Cambridge (NatSci) and Oxford (Biochem) don't care.

Ugh, that’s so disappointing, do you think UCL & others (imperial) will reject me just because that English grade? Thanks
Reply 10
Ugh, that’s so disappointing, do you think UCL & others (imperial) will reject me just because that English grade? Thanks

See my edit : contact them to be sure.
Yooo thanks I was really worried about the English tho, because some unis don’t like 5,hopefully I won’t get rejected on that!

just try get better init a levels init
Salford, Man Met, Teeside, London Met, all those type really
Original post by LibertarianMP
Salford, Man Met, Teeside, London Met, all those type really

Thank you sm!
Original post by kb_123xx
just try get better init a levels init

Yhhhh

providing you get the alevels they all will.
Reply 16

The best thing to do would be to contact universities you're interested in and ask them directly.

Quick Reply