The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
^ Durham will not be known outside of the UK if it will not make an effort to market itself internationally, just like what St Andrews and King's have done. You will be surprised both King's and St Andrews have representatives in almost all career activities at some of the finest high schools in the US, Australia and Canada. Durham, a better regarded uni than King’s College in the UK, is in a well position to become well-known outside of the UK if they will do something about it.
Reply 81
Heard of Penn from the film "Mona Lisa Smile" :p:

Mona Lisa Smile Transcript:
- Wonder teacher.
- Tommy.

- How's Harvard?
- Oh, not too bad. Not too bad.

- Congratulate me.
- You set a date?

No, nothing official. Yet.

I meant, I got into Penn. Grad school.

Congratulations. What about Yale?

Yale? Oh, you mean Joanie.
Yeah. How about that, huh?

She is some girl.

- She's terrific.
- Yeah.

Just the fact that she got in.
I mean, she will always have that.

Thanks to you. Miss Watson,
you've been real swell to her.

We both appreciate it.

I'm sorry. "The fact that she got in,"
what does that mean?

Well, she'll be in Philadelphia.

With me.

Well, that's an awful long commute
to get dinner on the table by : .

- And we switch.
- Thank you.

Excuse me.
Reply 82
arjun266
So clearly most people in the UK are unaware of Penn? What about the Wharton section of Penn? Is that considered to be highly reputable...even more reputable than Oxford or LSE?

Wharton Business School is a globally top business school. It does not matter whether it is popular in the UK or not because all "HUGE employers" all over the world know the caliber of Wharton.

For MBA (Master's in Business Administration), I would say that Wharton is ahead of Oxford-Said, Cambridge-Judge, Warwick Business School and London Business School.

For MBA, Wharton's peer schools are Harvard Business School and Stanford Business School. INSEAD-France, LBS-UK, Northwestern-Kellogg, Chicago, Berkeley-Haas, Dartmouth-Tuck, MIT-Sloan and Columbia all belong to the same tier which is a tier just below HWS.
Reply 83
YankeeUK2008
I bet Wharton is praised in the UK, but what about non-Wharton Penn? Do people in the UK think of it as a lower ivy or on par with HYP and Columbia?

What's the word on Penn in the UK?

What english universities would you say have a good reputation in america?
Reply 84
brokenheroes
No I only meant in terms of heard of it. Seeing as American universities are everywhere in popular culture, how many British tv shows shown worldwide show teenagers about to attend (insert non oxbridge/london uni here) university?

People do filter out irrelevant information when they watch TV shows, though, so I'm not sure it really works that way. Unless the fact that a teenager on an American TV show is about to attend the University of XYZ is somehow made a big deal of (for example because the teenager is repeatedly complimented on or teased about going to XYZ), a lot of people who are watching the show and have never heard of the University of XYZ before will probably fail to take in the name.
Reply 85
zef99

I'd like to answer this one. In the US, it would most likely be this way:

Group 1 - Oxford, Cambridge
Group 2 - St Andrews, LSE

gap

Group 3A - Kings, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh
Group 3B - Warwick, Bristol, Durham

slight gap

Nottingham, Manchester, York, Bath
hobnob
People do filter out irrelevant information when they watch TV shows, though, so I'm not sure it really works that way. Unless the fact that a teenager on an American TV show is about to attend the University of XYZ is somehow made a big deal of (for example because the teenager is repeatedly complimented on or teased about going to XYZ), a lot of people who are watching the show and have never heard of the University of XYZ before will probably fail to take in the name.

:s-smilie: Guess I just take in irrelevant information then..
Reply 87
ILIGAN
Wharton Business School is a globally top business school. It does not matter whether it is popular in the UK or not because all "HUGE employers" all over the world know the caliber of Wharton.

For MBA (Master's in Business Administration), I would say that Wharton is ahead of Oxford-Said, Cambridge-Judge, Warwick Business School and London Business School.

For MBA, Wharton's peer schools are Harvard Business School and Stanford Business School. INSEAD-France, LBS-UK, Northwestern-Kellogg, Chicago, Berkeley-Haas, Dartmouth-Tuck, MIT-Sloan and Columbia all belong to the same tier which is a tier just below HWS.

What about for undergrad? Wharton is ranked number 1 in all the undergraduate business rankings...but does is it still better than Oxford?
Reply 88
ILIGAN
^ Durham will not be known outside of the UK if it will not make an effort to market itself internationally, just like what St Andrews and King's have done. You will be surprised both King's and St Andrews have representatives in almost all career activities at some of the finest high schools in the US, Australia and Canada. Durham, a better regarded uni than King’s College in the UK, is in a well position to become well-known outside of the UK if they will do something about it.

I know it's not well known outside of the UK, and that's my point. They are starting to make an effort to expand even further and market themselves more (the whole, "Princeton of Europe" thing - all they have at the moment is the Uni of Teikyo campus), but they are going about it entirely the wrong way.

Moving away from the historic centre (townhouses, cobbled streets, a libraby next to one of Europe's finest Cathedrals) and shifting off to a featureless campus just outside the city.
Reply 89
brokenheroes
:s-smilie: Guess I just take in irrelevant information then..

Not everybody has a good memory.:wink:
hobnob
Not everybody has a good memory.:wink:

.. Or wants to go to an American uni :frown:
Reply 91
arjun266
So clearly most people in the UK are unaware of Penn? What about the Wharton section of Penn? Is that considered to be highly reputable...even more reputable than Oxford or LSE?

Never heard of it .. :s-smilie:
Reply 92
zef99

In the op's opinion

Oxbridge, Kings, Royal Holloway, LSE, Bristol, UCL, U of L.

And Scottish: -

Edinburgh, St. Andrews.
arjun266

If UK people haven't heard of Penn itself, they're not very likely to have any knowledge of a specific area of it, are they? :rolleyes:
Reply 94
Joanna May
If UK people haven't heard of Penn itself, they're not very likely to have any knowledge of a specific area of it, are they? :rolleyes:

The OP was asking about the reputation of the non-Wharton section on Penn. Even if people generally haven't heard of Penn, most employers would have heard of Wharton. Wharton is what makes Penn ranked so highly in the US.
Reply 95
arjun266
The OP was asking about the reputation of the non-Wharton section on Penn. Even if people generally haven't heard of Penn, most employers would have heard of Wharton. Wharton is what makes Penn ranked so highly in the US.

Maybe, but most of us aren't employers. As students if we don't know about Penn, we won't know about Wharton.

I DO know a little about Penn, but nothing of Wharton until today.
arjun266

Yes, but someone who hasn't heard of any part of Penn at all, won't have heard of any of its components, so asking if we've heard of this part of Penn, when Penn itself drew a blank was rather pointless. :rolleyes:

Ask some employers if you want to know, don't ask a load of students, a lot of whom have barely started their degrees.
ILIGAN
I understand how British view this thing. I guess a lot of British students would rather stick to UK unis than cross the Atlantic and spend 4 years there, unless they really would want to migrate to the US. But outside of the UK, I guess those who are very well-off...would choose UPenn over any UK uni except Oxford and Cambridge, of course. You can see that the caliber of international students attending UPenn is higher than that of any London uni, including Warwick, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol and Durham. I guess it is only in the UK that UPenn is not considered prestigious in the elite crowd. But I guess that's highly attributable to UK's excellent academic system that they wouldn't have to look outside of their own backyard. :smile:

I know, but I have no plans whatsoever to live/work outside the EU, hence my decision. If I had aspirations to live in the US, yes you are 100% correct.
Reply 98
It's alright; though I prefer tagliatelle.
Reply 99
zef99

Oxford; St. Andrew's; LSE.

That's about it, really.

Latest

Trending

Trending