Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I recently found this site that pays you if you let them use your CPU.
    Is it safe? I always get a 'threat secured alarm by avast whenever I let the website use my pc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We're going to need a little more context but:

CPU mining implies crypto. You've made at least one other thread on crypto before. As I mentioned there, you need to do your own research.

CPU mining is not inherently bad. It's a perfectly legitimate use of a CPU. That said, running a CPU "all out" to mine will severely shorten its lifespan. If you want to kill your CPU faster, mining is one way you could do it.

Is selling out your CPU time to someone else safe? As a general rule, I would say no. You have absolutely no idea what they could be doing with your computer, nor do you really have any way to control it. Keep in mind that if you rent out your computer to mine, you could have made the same amount the miner makes by simply mining yourself.

Avast complaining about a threat is very up in the air. It's impossible to say if it's a legitimate warning or not, but generally you should be listening to your antivirus (even if it is Avast). Your antivirus knows more than you, if it says a website is dodgy and flags warnings then stay away from it. If you happen to post the website here asking whether it's safe or not, don't expect anyone to click a link that someone elses antivirus has flagged already.

And because you probably want to know, the CPU in your laptop (whatever laptop it may be) is crap. You won't get paid much to use it and in reality, the money you spend on electricity to keep your laptop going is probably higher. That's ignoring the physical cost on the components, because it will shorten the lifespan of your laptop. If selling out your CPU were somehow profitable, then logically the person paying for it must be making even more. If that were the case, we'd all be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlindRadio)
    Hey guys, I recently found this site that pays you if you let them use your CPU.
    Is it safe? I always get a 'threat secured alarm by avast whenever I let the website use my pc.
    As Acsel says, even without the security concerns or the potential damage to the CPU, you're going to spend more on powering the laptop than you're able to earn from it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.