Effect of Light's intensity (distance of light source)on resistance of the LDR

Watch
username2889812
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi!
I'm trying to find secondary sources for this investigation....the effect of changing the distance of light source upon the resistance of the LDR
Couldn't find any (secondary evidence)graphs with log scales....
I took log Resistance in the y axis and log distance on the X axis...

Any links or sources of information (for secondary evidence) or the key words to be searched would be really (times infinity) helpful! :ta:
uberteknik
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spannerin'moi)
Hi!
I'm trying to find secondary sources for this investigation....the effect of changing the distance of light source upon the resistance of the LDR
Couldn't find any (secondary evidence)graphs with log scales....
I took log Resistance in the y axis and log distance on the X axis...

Any links or sources of information (for secondary evidence) or the key words to be searched would be really (times infinity) helpful! :ta:
Luminous Intensity
Lux
Radiance
Irradiance
Inverse Square Law

Download LDR manufacturer's datasheet from RS components etc:

Here is the ORP12 device datasheet: https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webd...6b8156674b.pdf
username2889812
Rep:
(Original post by uberteknik)
Luminous Intensity
Lux
Radiance
Irradiance
Inverse Square Law

Download LDR manufacturer's datasheet from RS components etc:

Here is the ORP12 device datasheet: https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webd...6b8156674b.pdf
Thanks a ton for the resource ...very credible and valid:yep:
but I was looking for X axis to be log (distance of the light source) instead of lux or intensity of light :hmmmm:
uberteknik
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spannerin'moi)
Thanks a ton for the resource ...very credible and valid:yep:
but I was looking for X axis to be log (distance of the light source) instead of lux or intensity of light :hmmmm:
You will find the intensity of light falling on the LDR is a ratio of the surface area of the LDR and the total light output produced by the source.

As the distance from the source increases, the light received at the LDR falls away with the square of the distance because the light is received over the same surface area of the LDR, whilst the total light output from the source is spread over a larger surface area at that distance.

Lux is simply a reference light output. The ratio between irradiance and distance from the source is always a square law regardless of the units used.

username2889812
Rep:
You will find the intensity of light falling on the LDR is a ratio of the surface area of the LDR and the total light output produced by the source.

As the distance from the source increases, the light received at the LDR falls away with the square of the distance because the light is received over the same surface area of the LDR, whilst the total light output from the source is spread over a larger surface area at that distance.

Lux is simply a reference light output. The ratio between irradiance and distance from the source is always a square law regardless of the units used.

PRSOM

I've been reigned over this line of thought ...that the primary and secondary evidence should have the same x and y types of values so that a good comparison could be made...I thought I'll need another secondary evidence graph to explain the relationship between intensity of light and distance....but if I could explain the relationship well, it should be good....
:ta: a bunch!
username2889812
Rep:

I'm really sorry for the trouble but....wasn't the graph supposed to be non linear? The data sheet had it linear:hmmmm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (65)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.91%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.25%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (251)
48.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.45%

Watched Threads