Medicine International students Watch

Raksha02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey!

Thanks for reading this. I am sooo confused right now.

I am an international student and I want to apply for entry into medicine in the UK for entry either in 2019 or 2020. I say either because I am a year younger than others in my grade, and so will be 17 when I start my degree and this limits my choices of uni greatly if I have to apply now for 2019 entry, because I can mostly only apply to Scottish unis.

The thing is I have a predicted 45 in IB, and a 3240 Band 1 in the UKCAT. I also have 9A*s in IGCSE. So I have 2 plans:

Plan A: Apply to Edinburgh this cycle and NUS (assuming you can't apply to NTU). Go to Edinburgh or NUS depending on the results.
Plan B:
- If you can apply to NTU this year, take the BMAT. Apply to NUS, NTU, UCL and Edinburgh.
- If you can't apply to NTU this year, take the BMAT next year and apply to NTU, UCL, Imperial (or even Oxford if you want a high reach school), Edinburgh and Dundee (we can finalise these choices next year).

(NUS and NTU are local Singaporean Unis)

What are your opinions on whether I should apply this year to Edinburgh which is considerably more expensive than UCL and Imperial, or apply next year (including Edinburgh) but happy with the fact that I gave it all my best shot? Also considering the fact that NHS England is planning to cut the NHS subsidy for international medicine students clinical fees, which may increase the fees of these London Unis by upto 35,000 pounds?

I am so sorry this is so confusing but this is literally my life rn.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Raksha02)
Hey!

Thanks for reading this. I am sooo confused right now.

I am an international student and I want to apply for entry into medicine in the UK for entry either in 2019 or 2020. I say either because I am a year younger than others in my grade, and so will be 17 when I start my degree and this limits my choices of uni greatly if I have to apply now for 2019 entry, because I can mostly only apply to Scottish unis.

The thing is I have a predicted 45 in IB, and a 3240 Band 1 in the UKCAT. I also have 9A*s in IGCSE. So I have 2 plans:

Plan A: Apply to Edinburgh this cycle and NUS (assuming you can't apply to NTU). Go to Edinburgh or NUS depending on the results.
Plan B:
- If you can apply to NTU this year, take the BMAT. Apply to NUS, NTU, UCL and Edinburgh.
- If you can't apply to NTU this year, take the BMAT next year and apply to NTU, UCL, Imperial (or even Oxford if you want a high reach school), Edinburgh and Dundee (we can finalise these choices next year).

(NUS and NTU are local Singaporean Unis)

What are your opinions on whether I should apply this year to Edinburgh which is considerably more expensive than UCL and Imperial, or apply next year (including Edinburgh) but happy with the fact that I gave it all my best shot? Also considering the fact that NHS England is planning to cut the NHS subsidy for international medicine students clinical fees, which may increase the fees of these London Unis by upto 35,000 pounds?

I am so sorry this is so confusing but this is literally my life rn.
If you really want to go to Edinburgh, then why not try?

Bear in mind all UK medical degrees are equal in terms of accreditation
Raksha02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi thanks for the response

Its just that right now Edinburgh is more expensive than UCL, Imperial and Oxford. That is why I feel waiting a year will save me nearly 60,000 pounds. Unless they cut the subsidy...

Does anyone know what they are going to do with their plan to cut the NHS subsidy for international students for clinical years?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads