The Student Room Group

might be in the wrong course. not feeling it with CS

after basically being hounded by my parents to do something like engineering, plumping or computer science i ended up doing CS (i genuinely have a interest in computer science) in brunel foundation year because my BTEC was in media not computing. just attended the intro lesson and basically got put off from the course now im not sure if i will like it. looking at the module for the foundation year its pretty much maths with a little bit of computing AND I HATE MATHS. i dont mind it but god damn is it pointless to me. the thing is now im thinking of changing my course to film making or something. my question is.

1) how intense is the maths in foundation year and the years that follow
2)how good is the employable rate if i graduate
3) can i finish the foundation year and just go ahead with a apprenticeship?
*opens thread*

Original post by mangola34
plumping
Original post by mangola34
after basically being hounded by my parents to do something like engineering, plumping or computer science i ended up doing CS (i genuinely have a interest in computer science) in brunel foundation year because my BTEC was in media not computing. just attended the intro lesson and basically got put off from the course now im not sure if i will like it. looking at the module for the foundation year its pretty much maths with a little bit of computing AND I HATE MATHS. i dont mind it but god damn is it pointless to me. the thing is now im thinking of changing my course to film making or something. my question is.

what did you think computer SCIENCE would involve? it's no cakewalk where you bum around on computers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do a film making course or some course that you are actually passionate about!

- I haven't done a foundation year but maths gets intense in second/third year.

- If you achieve a 2.1 or higher, you will get employed. Try getting a summer internship in your penultimate year to increase your chances.

- Doubt this.

You should probably not go for computer science. Only take this course if you have a genuine interest for technology and maths. You do a fair amount of programming, but there is a fair amount of maths. Maybe go for something like software engineering which is more programming heavy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending