Unstudioustudent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Trying to get this straight!

To start the course in October 2020 you apply before 15th Oct 2019. If you apply in October the year before you’re aiming to start the course obviously you’re only applying with predicted grades - which is fine, feeling very confident about those - but my GCSE/IGCSE results are very average and underwhelming so was hoping stellar predicted grades and LNAT score would compensate slightly.

But if you apply in Oct 2019 you wouldn’t have your LNAT score yet, because you do it in your last year of school, right? Or do I need to sit the LNAT ASAP - this month! - to have a score in time for next October!!??

From online:
“If you are applying to UCAS in 2018-19 you must also take the LNAT during the 2018-19 testing year. This begins on 1 September 2018.”

For background, I’m 16 and just started 5 A-levels (in AS year/lower sixth). And confused 😐
Slaughter&Ovary
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge don't use the LNAT, they have their own admissions test.
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
cambridge uses their own law exam i think its called the CLAT

oxford is the one that uses it

also cambridge doesn't put a lot of weight on GCSEs, if they're average it shouldnt be a huge issue tbh. what were they?
Unstudioustudent
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info, didn’t know that about Cambridge. I take it you don’t do the CLAT before applying? Will look it up online 👍🏻

My GCSEs/IGCSEs were A*98AAAABBBB5E. Not very bad but compared to those of other Oxbridge applicants I’ve seen... 😬
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Unstudioustudent)

To start the course in October 2020 you apply before 15th Oct 2019. If you apply in October the year before you’re aiming to start the course obviously you’re only applying with predicted grades - which is fine, feeling very confident about those - but my GCSE/IGCSE results are very average and underwhelming so was hoping stellar predicted grades and LNAT score would compensate slightly.

But if you apply in Oct 2019 you wouldn’t have your LNAT score yet, because you do it in your last year of school, right? Or do I need to sit the LNAT ASAP - this month! - to have a score in time for next October!!??

From online:
“If you are applying to UCAS in 2018-19 you must also take the LNAT during the 2018-19 testing year. This begins on 1 September 2018.”

For background, I’m 16 and just started 5 A-levels (in AS year/lower sixth). And confused 😐
Cambridge don't look at the LNAT.

You're 16 and you've just finished GCSEs. You will therefore be applying to universities during the 2019/2020 admissions cycle (we're currently going into 2018/2019).

You will sit the LNAT (for your other university choices - not Cambridge) in autumn 2019. Your Cambridge application should be sent off through UCAS by the 15th October 2019. Interviews will take place in December 2019, and you'll hear the final outcome in January 2020. You will start university in September-October 2020.
Unstudioustudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Cambridge don't look at the LNAT.

You're 16 and you've just finished GCSEs. You will therefore be applying to universities during the 2019/2020 admissions cycle (we're currently going into 2018/2019).

You will sit the LNAT (for your other university choices - not Cambridge) in autumn 2019. Your Cambridge application should be sent off through UCAS by the 15th October 2019. Interviews will take place in December 2019, and you'll hear the final outcome in January 2020. You will start university in September-October 2020.
Thank you! So if you apply in October 2019 I take it you won’t be able to include your LNAT score on the UCAS application? Or does it work differently?
Unstudioustudent
Rep:
?
Actually found a good website explaining it!
https://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/00047...lnat-test.html

Does anyone know if a good LNAT score would help you get into a uni that doesn’t have any admission test? Asking because my insurance choice is going to be Queen’s uni in Belfast, which hasn’t an admissions test and only requires AAA currently.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! So if you apply in October 2019 I take it you won’t be able to include your LNAT score on the UCAS application? Or does it work differently?
Unis find out about your LNAT a few hours after you sit it, irrespective of when this is. Pearson (who administer the exam) takes care of this.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

From online:

5 A Levels... Why?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads