The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It won't be the uni (unless support for struggling students is poor). Marking is pretty standardised. It's more likely you just chose the wrong course for you.

Don't focus on the name. I think you should look at other courses and how they are assessed. Pick one that will suit you better. That may be at a RG uni or a non RG. As long as you do well there should be nothing to stop you.

Another thing is that most uni learning should be independent and what not. Whereas A levels can be spoon fed and are more a test of memory than critical thinking (unless you did humanities). You may need to try different learning techniques.
[QUOTE="Someboady;79878972"]Long story short, got 4A*s at A-level. Failed my first year studying at Imperial and now ive lost faith in my abilities as a student.

I have the option to retake the entire year as a new student but I am terrified of failing again its been absolute hell.

I'm perfectly content with going to a less prestigious uni and getting a degree that doesnt have as high a risk of failure.

This has really been a really painful summer and I can't decide between retaking this year or just taking a gap and going to uni in 2019.

Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE

What are you studying OP? I'd tend to go anywhere but Imperial - it doesn't have a great reputation for supporting students.
Original post by Muttley79

What are you studying OP? I'd tend to go anywhere but Imperial - it doesn't have a great reputation for supporting students.

Where did you read that it doesn't have a good reputation for supporting students?

It helped me out a lot, and everyone was really nice.
(edited 5 years ago)
You should read some of his ideas on Oxford and Cambridge if you think that's bad...
Original post by Someboady
Long story short, got 4A*s at A-level. Failed my first year studying at Imperial and now ive lost faith in my abilities as a student.

I have the option to retake the entire year as a new student but I am terrified of failing again its been absolute hell.

I'm perfectly content with going to a less prestigious uni and getting a degree that doesnt have as high a risk of failure.

This has really been a really painful summer and I can't decide between retaking this year or just taking a gap and going to uni in 2019.

Any help is appreciated.

Just my 10p worth and its probably already been covered.

1. ID what went wrong.
2. Talk to your tutor.
3. Can you make it right.
4. Would you be better off suspending or reapplying i.e will they reconsider you if you took a gap and tried to get a handle on it?
5. It could be the uni, the subject or other issues.
6. You might find other unis with a course to which you are more suited or you would feel happier at?

The key is one to understand if its repairable and whether its worth the effort. If you got A* then you are obviously very bright and they cant take that away, but it sounds like something went wrong.

Dont lose faith in yourself.
Reply 25
Original post by onepostonlytsr
Imperial (and Oxbridge) are harder than other universities. Second year physics topics at other unis (such as electromagnetism and vector calculus in the case of physics) are covered in the first year at Imperial.

When you are taught the topic doesn't matter at all. Some of my third year topics are easier than my first year topics in my degree (Actuarial Science). What you may find difficult, others may find easier (for example, I failed my VBA exam at first year uni, but smashed Stochastic Models in 2nd year, which everyone found it as the hardest exam).

What's more important is if these second year physics topics at other universities (such as electromagnetism and vector calculus) have any prerequisites before you are taught them. If there are no prerequisites before you are taught these modules, it's not important when you have to take them.
Original post by Outbox228
Where did you read that it doesn't have a good reputation for supporting students?

It helped me out a lot, and everyone was really nice.

That's very much the exception sadly [comments from many] ... good to hear they got it right for you.
That's very much the exception sadly [comments from many] ... good to hear they got it right for you.

Ahh I see.

Thankfully they were nice to me then :smile:
You're right I feel like I should give it a second try because whats the worst that could happen.. if I fail again I can cut my losses after that
I wasn't terribly far off. I achieved a 2:2 but I didn't achieve 40% in all of my modules.
It's true the issue is most unis are no longer accepting students :/

It's not uncommon for some to struggle to adapt to the level of some universities. You're obviously very capable, but need to understand what went wrong. A 2:2 (aka a Desmond) would concern me, as it suggests that you don't have many higher grades.

You're attitude sounds good, so I would lean towards redoing the year - I suspect that the concepts will be easier with more time for you to get used to them. There will always be some modules that are annoying, e.g. Reasoning About Programs! After the first year, I expect that there are fewer, and that the choice offered makes them easier to avoid.

Good luck.

Did you do any September resits?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AnharM
I think you're exaggerating the gap in terms of work between Imperial and a "less prestigious uni". The level of effort and work you need to put in, to do well at a less prestigious university will still remain the same as Imperial.

Firstly, we don't even know what he's studying (could be Maths for example, in which the standards set at most universities will remain the same).

His main problem is actually putting in the work and studying, and putting the hours. If he doesn't put in the hours at another university, he'll still come out with the same result and fail.

True. Although getting 4 A* at A-Level requires a lot of hard work, so he is clearly capable of putting in the hours at uni. Maybe it's the balance of living independently and studying?
Reply 30
Original post by Quantum_of_Hope
True. Although getting 4 A* at A-Level requires a lot of hard work, so he is clearly capable of putting in the hours at uni. Maybe it's the balance of living independently and studying?

Yes, he is definitely capable of putting in the hours, but he didn't. We were forced to go into lessons during sixth form, we aren't during university. He may have missed a ton of lectures that ultimately led to a spiral, and he didn't have enough time to catch up on the work for example. Especially the early 9am lectures that so many people miss. There's far more independent studying at university too.
Original post by AnharM
Yes, he is definitely capable of putting in the hours, but he didn't. We were forced to go into lessons during sixth form, we aren't during university. He may have missed a ton of lectures that ultimately led to a spiral, and he didn't have enough time to catch up on the work for example. Especially the early 9am lectures that so many people miss. There's far more independent studying at university too.

I got 4A* in A-Levels as well, so I know that you have to put in a lot of independent study as well as just attending lessons! So I didn't find uni that much of a step up in terms of independent study. I agree with what you're saying though - once you miss a few lectures, it's a 'slippery slope' or whatever the saying is!
Original post by AnharM

Firstly, we don't even know what he's studying (could be Maths for example, in which the standards set at most universities will remain the same).

10/10 joke. some maths courses shouldn't even be called maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Reality Check
I'm sorry things didn't work out for you. I think you first need a really clear idea of what went wrong this past year which led up to the failure before you start to consider what you should do for the future. There would be little point in repeating the year if you don't actually know exactly what caused you to fail the first. Do you have that knowledge - or is it something you're still working through?

You're right. I can't say for sure what went wrong but I have some theories as to what I couldve done better how I can make sure failure doesn't happen again. Regardless, I took the option to restart my degree. If this fails, I'll attend a less intense university.
Reply 34
[QUOTE="Muttley79;79879970"]
Long story short, got 4A*s at A-level. Failed my first year studying at Imperial and now ive lost faith in my abilities as a student.

Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE

Hey,
I studied Joint Maths and Computing - a difficult course by Imperial standards too
Reply 35
Original post by Princepieman
10/10 joke. some maths courses shouldn't even be called maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

At most RG universities, the standard is set the same. Maths will still be maths. But maybe you are right in terms of the questions they might ask you, there might be more rigorous questions on a Imperial Maths paper, than on a QMUL Maths paper for example. But that is subjective, and can't be confirmed unless a student goes to both universities and does the same course.

I don't want to know what goes on at universities like London Met.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Quantum_of_Hope

Yeah I don't think I got the balance exactly right, but if I dedicate more time to studying maybe this year will go better
You're right. I can't say for sure what went wrong but I have some theories as to what I couldve done better how I can make sure failure doesn't happen again. Regardless, I took the option to restart my degree. If this fails, I'll attend a less intense university.

You can't really do this as you'll not have enough funding in place.
Reply 38
You can't really do this as you'll not have enough funding in place.

You're right so I'll have to make sure this works then.
But I'd have to fund the last year of my degree myself if I did this.
You're right so I'll have to make sure this works then.
But I'd have to fund the last year of my degree myself if I did this.

They make you fund the first year if you start again after two years.

Latest

Trending

Trending