The Student Room Group

1st year student in 2nd year class? Are they allowed to do this?

So basically I have just started college doing a HNC computing class. I am the only 1st year student and I’m in a class with 2nd years. Is this normal? Even tho they haven’t studied these modules either they are all still 1 year ahead of me and the teaching feels like it Is the 2nd year and not the first. I’d rather just leave get my deposit back and start a course else were when possible. Want to know basically if this is okay that they do this or if I have a right in bringing it up and asking for my money back as I’ve only paid deposit so far?
They might be doing a different course than you but have some of the same modules. Its better to save money and teach the same module to everyone rather than splitting it in two just for two groups of people. This is normal so don't worry. They don't have much of an advantage because was you said they haven't studied it before, they might just be a bit better at note taking but you should soon get the hang of it. But yes this is normal :smile:
Ah okay appreciate your reply! I totally get what your saying and in theory yes i hope I do get the hang of it but I just feel like it’s not been taught from the start for a first year student. As things keep being referred to other software etc they have used. And that’s the bit that is putting me off and making me anxious. Maybe just need to talk to my tutor and see my options because honestly I don’t wanna start something if I’m not happy but I feel stuck also as I’m not sure this excuse now would be valued as you said this is a normal thing to do so I wouldn’t get my deposit back

Again Thankyou for your reply

Quick Reply