The Student Room Group

Bar staff trial shift at a club/venue?

The only previous work experience I have is on a farm and as a waitress in small restuarant, Ive never had any experience doing bar things so I'm really scared, especially since the venue is one in central london on a saturday and its at 11pm til 6 am for a hiphop/rnb club night. I'm quite an anxious person but trying to push myself to get a job and be social so does anyone have any tips for me and what to do etc?
I've never worked in a club but have 3 years experience working behind a bar

- Wear sensible, flat shoes with lots of grips, floors get sticky due to all the alcohol that's spilled and you don't want to go flying
- Same with clothes - wear stuff you don't mind getting dirty/sweaty/stained, black is normally a good colour
- Always tip the glass when pouring lager, don't give too much of a head
- Ask if people want ice/lemon in their soft drinks/spirits
- Ask if it's a single or a double
- If someone orders a spirit and bottled mixer, leave the customer to pour the mixer in themselves
- Get on top of cleaning when it's quiet, also re-stocking the bar, re-filling ice buckets, collecting glasses, putting clean glasses away
- Don't worry about knowing absolutely everything you stock, most people will order shots, spirits and mixers, bottled drinks and lager
- Same goes for when a barrel needs changing - you won't be expected to know how to do this straightaway, especially if you've never done bar work before. You'll be shown how to do it during a quieter moment.
(edited 5 years ago)
I can't say I've ever worked in a club before either, but I've worked behind bars for years and I agree with @bones-mccoy. Also just wanted to add: If confidence is something you struggle with, over time try and come up with a 'work persona.' When I first started waitressing and bar work I was really shy, so it helped me to pretend that I was more confident that I was. Over time the confidence I had in my work became real and I didn't have to pretend anymore. Also, expect to ask a lot of questions your first few weeks. It can be a lot to learn all at once, but the people you work with will know you haven't done it before and won't mind walking you through it. If you're not sure, ask, but try and notice the things you can do on your own, like refilling the ice when it's low. Try to work out and stick to a sleeping pattern that fits around your work. Those are some inconvenient hours you've got and it'll take some time to adapt the way you arrange your days. You might be pretty tired to begin with, but don't give up, you'll learn as you go and you'll do brilliantly. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending