The 48% (a Brexit thread) Watch

NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
The attitude and understanding of the 52% who voted leave is often questioned, but to be fair, I've not heard much about the actual reasons of the 48% who voted remain.

Did some decide they are happy with their lot and they would just trust "call me Dave", or some of the nice celebrities who were promoting remain?

How many like holidays in Europe or French wine, so remain would keep the cost down?

Was it the secure funding for their science work or business supply chain, regardless of any other consideration?

. . . etc ...
Advertisement
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You've got some very low expectations...

holidays...wine...celebrities. Seriously?
TomSmith12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I was in the 48%- however having just spent a month inter railing around EU countries... we need to get out as fast as possible. The EU is causing significantly more damage than good and I didn't realise it until I saw it for myself.

Safe to say I now fully agree with Brexit in whatever form it takes. I am the 48%, but I've seen things that made me realise I voted wrong.
Advertisement
XOR_
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TomSmith12345)
I was in the 48%- however having just spent a month inter railing around EU countries... we need to get out as fast as possible. The EU is causing significantly more damage than good and I didn't realise it until I saw it for myself.

Safe to say I now fully agree with Brexit in whatever form it takes. I am the 48%, but I've seen things that made me realise I voted wrong.
such as?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
... but I've seen things that made me realise I voted wrong.
Such as...?
Advertisement
NJA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
You've got some very low expectations...

holidays...wine...celebrities. Seriously?
Reality Check: I'm not talking about me
math42
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey, hey, simmer down. We all know that everyone in that 48% spent copious hours researching Brexit in depth, drew up an elaborate list of pros and cons, used them to write a short essay on the issue, and then decided that, on balance, remaining would be better. Don't question such things.
Advertisement
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Reality Check: I'm not talking about me
Thank god for that! You were worrying me.
Zaporizhia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Like making it possible for you to go interrailing in the first place?...
Advertisement
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ;79881258)
such as?
Brussels was by far the most dodgy place I'd ever been to- and that is the home of the EU. Germany (Berlin) was not much better. It was mostly seeing how the migration crisis had truly impacted nations on the continent- migrants were the only people I saw committing crime, they made my friends (who were girls) very uncomfortable and heard more than a few accounts of them mugging fellow travellers we came across.

It is clear these were not integrated individuals and it was even more clear they had no intention of integrating into European culture.

I am not racist and fully support equality but losing control of borders has devastating consequences which I have seen. Police would board every train we got on and would almost always find illegal migrants to arrest and detain. I understand they are desperate but there are legal ways they can seek help...

I no longer want to be part of the EU, I spoke to Hungarians in Budapest who echoed my sentiments. All of them shared a common story of the EU screwing them over in one way or another. The laws of the UK should not be determined in a place so different to the UK. Looking back on my trip I only realised that what I was seeing was a result of the EU at the very end- then I decided I had been wrong to vote remain
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Zaporizhia)
Well that aint true cause I went with some Canadians...
Advertisement
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Plus my mum had a much better versions of inter railing (without limited travel days and reservation costs) before the EU was a thing so I don't think the Eu are responsible for inter railing- if anything it's become worse since the inception of the EU
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well that aint true cause I went with some Canadians...
How do you think you're able to go from country to country so frictionlessly?
Advertisement
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Such as...?
See my other response to the exact same question
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Brussels was by far the most dodgy place I'd ever been to- and that is the home of the EU. Germany (Berlin) was not much better. It was mostly seeing how the migration crisis had truly impacted nations on the continent- migrants were the only people I saw committing crime, they made my friends (who were girls) very uncomfortable and heard more than a few accounts of them mugging fellow travellers we came across.

It is clear these were not integrated individuals and it was even more clear they had no intention of integrating into European culture.

I am not racist and fully support equality but losing control of borders has devastating consequences which I have seen. Police would board every train we got on and would almost always find illegal migrants to arrest and detain. I understand they are desperate but there are legal ways they can seek help...

I no longer want to be part of the EU, I spoke to Hungarians in Budapest who echoed my sentiments. All of them shared a common story of the EU screwing them over in one way or another. The laws of the UK should not be determined in a place so different to the UK. Looking back on my trip I only realised that what I was seeing was a result of the EU at the very end- then I decided I had been wrong to vote remain
Screwing them over in what way exactly? I have been interrailing and lived in Germany, never experienced any of this. Not sure how injecting billions into the Hungarian economy is screwing them over, I'm sure the money can go to more grateful recipients
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
How do you think you're able to go from country to country so frictionlessly?
It wasn't at all frictionless? I had my passport and ticket checked every time we crossed a border?
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Screwing them over in what way exactly? I have been interrailing and lived in Germany, never experienced any of this. Not sure how injecting billions into the Hungarian economy is screwing them over, I'm sure the money can go to more grateful recipients
How long ago did you live in Germany? I'm fairly sure this is a recent phenomena as I had also been to Germany before and I'd never seen anything like it...

I think you need to do some more research into Hungarian's and the EU. I'm fairly sure they no longer want the money and I'm also completely sure it's not billions. Hungary wants out. Send the money to more grateful recipients, like Germany and France? Who seem to be the only 2 completely happy members of the EU OH WAIT THE SPF MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT THAT...

Everyone on the continent knew the EU wasn't perfect- it was a wake up call for me to realise the same.
Advertisement
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
The attitude and understanding of the 52% who voted leave is often questioned, but to be fair, I've not heard much about the actual reasons of the 48% who voted remain.

Did some decide they are happy with their lot and they would just trust "call me Dave", or some of the nice celebrities who were promoting remain?

How many like holidays in Europe or French wine, so remain would keep the cost down?

Was it the secure funding for their science work or business supply chain, regardless of any other consideration?

. . . etc ...
I think it's more down to not wanting to be isolated in a world where Asian and African countries will gain far more prominence over going on holidays to Europe. Instead, the UK finds itself having to beg other commonwealth states for increased trade, competing against a unified bloc of 27 states, China and the USA. This won't end well.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

This is your experience, and I cannot refute it. My experience of working in Europe for the past years is very different. I don't recognise the picture you paint, particularly of Berlin. As for Hungary, well they've never been particularly welcoming of immigrants or in fact anything which isn't Hungarian. Migration has certainly had an effect on all European countries who've taken in migrants and integration is certainly a pressing issue, but these comments seem a little hyperbolic to me: a bit like an educated version of the Daily Mail comments section.

It's a shame you've had such a negative experience of travelling in Europe.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
How long ago did you live in Germany? I'm fairly sure this is a recent phenomena as I had also been to Germany before and I'd never seen anything like it...

I think you need to do some more research into Hungarian's and the EU. I'm fairly sure they no longer want the money and I'm also completely sure it's not billions. Hungary wants out. Send the money to more grateful recipients, like Germany and France? Who seem to be the only 2 completely happy members of the EU OH WAIT THE SPF MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT THAT...

Everyone on the continent knew the EU wasn't perfect- it was a wake up call for me to realise the same.
I have family there, I go at least three times a year. And yes, it is billions. Crime in Germany has actually fallen in the past years compared to before the migrant crisis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (157)
24.49%
Pop (157)
24.49%
Jazz (26)
4.06%
Classical (38)
5.93%
Hip-Hop (114)
17.78%