The Student Room Group

Poor UKCAT Score and Dentistry

I did my UKCAT recently and I got an average of 605 and SJT of band 3 which I was really disappointed in because I basically messed it up.
I was wondering if I should still apply for dentistry or switch and do something else because my GCSE grades are 9,9,8 5A* 2A
My predicted grades would be a minimum of AAA (I haven't got mine yet but I got three A's last year in my mocks so..)
Reply 1
Original post by TRtwentyfour
I did my UKCAT recently and I got an average of 605 and SJT of band 3 which I was really disappointed in because I basically messed it up.
I was wondering if I should still apply for dentistry or switch and do something else because my GCSE grades are 9,9,8 5A* 2A
My predicted grades would be a minimum of AAA (I haven't got mine yet but I got three A's last year in my mocks so..)

If you want to study dentistry, I suggest you do. I would recommend you just avoid any universities that place a huge weighting on the ukcat. Although your ukcat score isn't amazing, it shouldn't be too low to apply to universities that don't put a huge weighting on ukcat.
Original post by mildhan
If you want to study dentistry, I suggest you do. I would recommend you just avoid any universities that place a huge weighting on the ukcat. Although your ukcat score isn't amazing, it shouldn't be too low to apply to universities that don't put a huge weighting on ukcat.

Thank you for your advice. I was wondering what universities to apply to though because I was considering Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham but I'm not entirely sure.
Reply 3
Original post by TRtwentyfour
Thank you for your advice. I was wondering what universities to apply to though because I was considering Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham but I'm not entirely sure.

I don't know exactly for dentistry, but for medicine, I know that Birmingham uses 40% ukcat and 60% academics in selecting people for interview (so they look a lot at ukcat), and I know bristol uses ukcat a lot for medicine too. I'm not sure what manchester does, and I'm not sure if they use the same selection process for dentistry as for medicine. I suggest you go to the university's websites and check how they select applicants. Most universities have information about that on their website and you can see how they use the ukcat and what weighting it has.
I'd say dont worry about ukcat as I applied this year for dentistry and I got 28's 3A*'s and 5A's and was predicted A*A*A and I only got 590 on the ukcat but I still got an interview from kcl which is literally the best for dentistry so as long as your personal statement and other stuff like that is good you'll be fine
Original post by Aj53
I'd say dont worry about ukcat as I applied this year for dentistry and I got 28's 3A*'s and 5A's and was predicted A*A*A and I only got 590 on the ukcat but I still got an interview from kcl which is literally the best for dentistry so as long as your personal statement and other stuff like that is good you'll be fine

Was this the enhanced course?
Bristol puts less emphasis on UCAT - check the Admissions Statement (link at the bottom of the course page - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/dentistry/bds-dentistry/)

Quick Reply