The Student Room Group

first job

So i work as a food runner in a posh pub. Does anyone have any tips on how to work well as a food runner and how to talk to the staff a bit better because i'm so much younger than them and they all already know each other. Also anyone who's ever worked in this industry, how do i best hold three plates? stupid question but oh well : )
Original post by frdd007
So i work as a food runner in a posh pub. Does anyone have any tips on how to work well as a food runner and how to talk to the staff a bit better because i'm so much younger than them and they all already know each other. Also anyone who's ever worked in this industry, how do i best hold three plates? stupid question but oh well : )

In terms of talking to the staff, just be friendly to them. It takes time for yourself to establish yourself as one of the team so don't worry too much.

In terms of the actual work, keep calm and your composure. Sometimes it can be hectic, and you may come across angry diners who are displeased with the service, food, wait or just generally everything (your "favourite" kind of customer). Just remain professional and polite. Comfortable shoes are a must, especially as you will be on your feet for most of the evening.
Original post by frdd007

As a manager within the bar industry, what I look for within newbies is eagerness.

If I hire you knowing you have no experience, then what am I looking for? I'm obviously not looking for experience or knowledge. What I'm looking for is someone with energy, something that I would expect from someone who has no previous experience. How proactive are you? Are you willing to learn? Talk to your colleagues, have a genuine interest in what they are doing and how you can learn from them. If you've nothing to do, then ask what you can be doing; you're new, we don't expect you to know what you're doing, but I expect you to ask about what you could be doing or how things work.

Diligence and humbleness is also key. I don't give a damn how talented you are at playing an instrument or what and where you're studying. Focus on your work, who you are as a person? Thats something we will all get to know in time as we begin to accept you as part of the family and as a friend.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by bigferociousdog
As a manager within the bar industry, what I look for within newbies is eagerness.

If I hire you knowing you have no experience, then what am I looking for? I'm obviously not looking for experience or knowledge. What I'm looking for is someone with energy, something that I would expect from someone who has no previous experience. How proactive are you? Are you willing to learn? Talk to your colleagues, have a genuine interest in what they are doing and how you can learn from them. If you've nothing to do, then ask what you can be doing; you're new, we don't expect you to know what you're doing, but I expect you to ask about what you could be doing or how things work.

Diligence and humbleness is also key. I don't give a damn how talented you are at playing an instrument or what and where you're studying. Focus on your work, who you are as a person? Thats something we will all get to know in time as we begin to accept you as part of the family and as a friend.

Good luck!

Ok thank you very much, it’s going pretty well so far!:smile:
Keep calm. It can get very hectic during stressful periods but stressing will only make you fluster and means you're more prone to making mistakes. Starting a new job and trying to fit in with staff who already know each other and have a rapport is always a bit awkward but just be yourself and you'll naturally start to engage more. Holding three plates is actually pretty straightforward - I hold one with the middle three fingers of my left hand underneath the plate which means the other two (thumb and little finger) on top can support the bottom of a second plate which is on my wrist. The final plate is then in my right hand. Don't try and take more than one/two plates if they're hot though.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending