The Student Room Group

Momentum Question

http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/q/momentum/# <-- The question, I managed to reach u = root((2 - root2)g) but I don't know where to go from there to get the answer of 4/3 root((2 - root2)g). The solutions didn't help me out.
Original post by Guarddyyy
http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/q/momentum/# <-- The question, I managed to reach u = root((2 - root2)g) but I don't know where to go from there to get the answer of 4/3 root((2 - root2)g). The solutions didn't help me out.

I am not sure what the solutions said. You can write down 2 equations using conservation of linear momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. In these 2 equation there are 2 unknowns and you can solve them using standard method.

you have to find out the gpe lost by A as that will be it's gain in kinetic energy.

derive some general equations since you know EK is conserved and so is momentum and see what you can do from there. (label the velocitys Va and Vb)
Reply 3
Would I have to form a simultaneous equation of some sort to solve them? My physics teacher said he didn't know either.
Would I have to form a simultaneous equation of some sort to solve them? My physics teacher said he didn't know either.

yes it does involve simultaneous equations - what level of study are you at? This question would be a pretty hard AS question
Reply 5
Original post by isiaiah d
yes it does involve simultaneous equations - what level of study are you at? This question would be a pretty hard AS question

I'm doing A-levels, currently in year 13. I am trying to get into Cambridge to study engineering.
I'm doing A-levels, currently in year 13. I am trying to get into Cambridge to study engineering.

right- this questions should be accessible to you. Draw a diagram and work out how much GPE the ball A loses when it collidges with ball B. This loss of GPE will be the gain in kinetic energy and from this you can work out the speed of ball A when it collides, try and see what you can do now knowing it's elastic and momentum is conserves
Reply 7
Yeah, no matter what I try, I can't seem to solve it, I reach up until the point of making a momentum and kinetic energy equation. If I say the velocity of ball A before the collision is u, velocity after is v, and the velocity of ball B is w, I get 2 equations of 2u = w - 2v and u^2 = v^2 + (w^2)/2
Yeah, no matter what I try, I can't seem to solve it, I reach up until the point of making a momentum and kinetic energy equation. If I say the velocity of ball A before the collision is u, velocity after is v, and the velocity of ball B is w, I get 2 equations of 2u = w - 2v and u^2 = v^2 + (w^2)/2

those equations are right.
Now you want an equation for the kinetic energy the first ball gained before it's collision.
This is caluclated using the length and equations mgh=1/2 m u^2
Reply 9
those equations are right.
Now you want an equation for the kinetic energy the first ball gained before it's collision.
This is caluclated using the length and equations mgh=1/2 m u^2

I feel like I'm completely overcomplicating this question, every method I have tried, I've gotten w = -4v, via substituting the linear simultaneous equation into the quadratic one.
Reply 10
I can't tell exactly if this question is high end A-level or university based. The question seems so confusing and it's "mathematics and physics problems at the level of university engineering admissions interviews"
I can't tell exactly if this question is high end A-level or university based. The question seems so confusing and it's "mathematics and physics problems at the level of university engineering admissions interviews"

This is defo a university admissions level question - I only said hard AS because mechanics is AS and the kind of stuff they ask in the A-Level exams isn't far off this and can be harder tbh.

essentially you have three equations like in the summary(have you derived all three?)
What might help is leaving u and u and subbing in it's value at the end once you have values for v/w in terms if u..

I subbed in w=2u+2v into u^2=v^2+w^2/2 then completed the square to get v=-u or v=-u/3

If v=-u then w=0 and that's not really possible if you think about it for the smaller ball to stay still and the larger ball to just rebound with the same speed in the opposite direction.

Subbing v=-u/3 into w=2u+2v gives w=4u/3 which is the rigth answer if you sub in u
Reply 12
This is defo a university admissions level question - I only said hard AS because mechanics is AS and the kind of stuff they ask in the A-Level exams isn't far off this and can be harder tbh.

essentially you have three equations like in the summary(have you derived all three?)
What might help is leaving u and u and subbing in it's value at the end once you have values for v/w in terms if u..

I subbed in w=2u+2v into u^2=v^2+w^2/2 then completed the square to get v=-u or v=-u/3

If v=-u then w=0 and that's not really possible if you think about it for the smaller ball to stay still and the larger ball to just rebound with the same speed in the opposite direction.

Subbing v=-u/3 into w=2u+2v gives w=4u/3 which is the rigth answer if you sub in u

So if I substitute w = 2u + 2v into u^2 = v^2 + (w^2)/2, I would get u^2 = 2u^2 + 2uv + 2v^2 + v^2 which equals 0 = u^2 + 2uv + 3v^2, then I complete the square to get 0 = (u+v)^2 + 2v^2 ? Sorry about this, I seem so dam slow at figuring out where the v=-u and v= -u/3 comes from, but I understand that once you get those values you substitute them in.
So if I substitute w = 2u + 2v into u^2 = v^2 + (w^2)/2, I would get u^2 = 2u^2 + 2uv + 2v^2 + v^2 which equals 0 = u^2 + 2uv + 3v^2, then I complete the square to get 0 = (u+v)^2 + 2v^2 ? Sorry about this, I seem so dam slow at figuring out where the v=-u and v= -u/3 comes from, but I understand that once you get those values you substitute them in.

I got 4uv then completed square to get

(V+2u/3)^2 = u^2/9
Reply 14
I got 4uv then completed square to get

(V+2u/3)^2 = u^2/9

Dam I see what I did wrong with expanding (2u+2v)^2, I am so stupid...
Dam I see what I did wrong with expanding (2u+2v)^2, I am so stupid...

no problem the question is pretty hard tbh theres alot to it. Are you preparing for Oxbridge/Imperial?
Reply 16
no problem the question is pretty hard tbh theres alot to it. Are you preparing for Oxbridge/Imperial?

Beginning to prepare for Cambridge, I doubt I will have a chance to be honest, but it's worth a try.
Beginning to prepare for Cambridge, I doubt I will have a chance to be honest, but it's worth a try.

defo worth a try, I was in the same position last year and wouldn't have been able to do this at all im pretty sure. Im reapplying too, make sure to use isaac physics btw and this is a good link for some physics if you're interrested:
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/downloads/uyp/upgrade_your_physics.pdf

Thinking of reapplying to Cambridge too - why did you pick it over Oxford may I ask?
Reply 18
defo worth a try, I was in the same position last year and wouldn't have been able to do this at all im pretty sure. Im reapplying too, make sure to use isaac physics btw and this is a good link for some physics if you're interrested:
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/downloads/uyp/upgrade_your_physics.pdf

Thinking of reapplying to Cambridge too - why did you pick it over Oxford may I ask?

I live in Cambridge :smile:
I live in Cambridge :smile:

ahh nice, well good luck! Something I wished someone told me was to look at apprenticeships.
Dyson,JLR,Aston martin,Rolls Royce all do degree apprenticeships which imo are better than uni (You get experience,get paid and get a a free degree and possibly a job after you've finished)

Quick Reply

Latest