Economics Personal Statement Watch

ebb04
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am applying to economics, I am writing my personal statement and I was if it would be good to talk about Elinor Ostrom?

I am applying to LSE as my first choice
TurboZX453
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
YES!!!!
ebb04
Rep:
?
(Original post by TurboZX453)
YES!!!!
Should I mention The tragedy of common as well? Also, because I am originally from Spain can I talk about brexit?
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ella008)
I am applying to economics, I am writing my personal statement and I was if it would be good to talk about Elinor Ostrom?

I am applying to LSE as my first choice
if it links to your interest in economics... can you contribute any original analysis of opinion?
ebb04
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
if it links to your interest in economics... can you contribute any original analysis of opinion?
well i guess so
i am trying to start writing about biology and natural selection (its one my a levels) and then say how economics is helping and talking about elinor research
Last edited by ebb04; 5 months ago
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
well i guess so
i am trying to start writing about biology and natural selection (its one my a levels) and then say how economics is helping and talking about elinor research
be really careful about the natural selection-economics link. i studied both bio and economics for A level and up to my first year at uni, after which i majored in Biology and I think the link between the two subjects is a bit cliché at best, controversial at worst!
ebb04
Rep:
?
be really careful about the natural selection-economics link. i studied both bio and economics for A level and up to my first year at uni, after which i majored in Biology and I think the link between the two subjects is a bit cliché at best, controversial at worst!

do u think it is risky to talk about it?
tbh i was just trying to find a different way to approach the economic
or i was thinking about health economics and nhs eg.money for stem research
Last edited by ebb04; 5 months ago
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
do u think it is risky to talk about it?
tbh i was just trying to find a different way to approach the economic
or i was thinking about health economics and nhs eg.money for stem research
yeah the health economics thing sounds much better! and safer. (but best to avoid stem cells. health economics is a huge field though so lots of talking points to choose from)
ebb04
Rep:
?
ahh okay thanks!!
yeah the health economics thing sounds much better! and safer. (but best to avoid stem cells. health economics is a huge field though so lots of talking points to choose from)
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There is no point in linking your A Levels to your course choice - focus on your interests outside of your A Levels
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
There is no point in linking your A Levels to your course choice - focus on your interests outside of your A Levels
yes there is dear. they want to see commitment to the degree choice and a very small paragraph explaining biology by talking about something interesting like health economics will be helpful, it obviously shouldn't dominate
Last edited by CollectiveSoul; 5 months ago
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
yes there is dear. they want to see commitment to the degree choice and a very small paragraph explaining biology by talking about something interesting like health economics will be helpful, it obviously shouldn't dominate
I'm not saying don't talk about health economics, I'm just saying there's no point in relating it to A Levels.

I have reviewed well over 1000 PSs on TSR, and I know that there is no point in talking about A levels - the admissions tutors will know the basics of what is covered, so it won't add anything to the PS. What is more individual is the extra reading etc. that an applicant does
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm not saying don't talk about health economics, I'm just saying there's no point in relating it to A Levels.

I have reviewed well over 1000 PSs on TSR, and I know that there is no point in talking about A levels - the admissions tutors will know the basics of what is covered, so it won't add anything to the PS. What is more individual is the extra reading etc. that an applicant does
yeah Ella did not say she was going to talk about the course content of Biology itself, but rather link the subject to her degree (via additional reading) , which is good for a paragraph.
ebb04
Rep:
?
yeah Ella did not say she was going to talk about the course content of Biology itself, but rather link the subject to her degree (via additional reading) , which is good for a paragraph.
yes exactly!
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
yes exactly!
where else are you applying? i did Biology at St Andrews but took Economics as well in my first year. applied to Durham, Warwick and Bath but LSE wasn't for me being in London!
ebb04
Rep:
?
where else are you applying? i did Biology at St Andrews but took Economics as well in my first year. applied to Durham, Warwick and Bath but LSE wasn't for me being in London!
Ucl, kings, queen and City; i am only applying in london
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ucl, kings, queen and City; i am only applying in london
ah ok interesting choices!
ebb04
Rep:
?

i have got a small paragraph on calculus that i have done in a level maths how it can help me with the course, what u think about it?
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i have got a small paragraph on calculus that i have done in a level maths how it can help me with the course, what u think about it?
It's not necessary - focus on the stuff you've done outside of your A Levels linked to economics A lot of applicants will have done A Level Maths
ebb04
Rep:
?
It's not necessary - focus on the stuff you've done outside of your A Levels linked to economics A lot of applicants will have done A Level Maths
ah okay thanks! i worked in a bank; should i mention it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.04%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.06%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.36%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (221)
30.44%

Watched Threads