This discussion is closed.
mizzyportia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently a second year medical student and I was thinking of starting a blog but I'm not sure what exactly I should talk about of course it would be medically related but what exactly and where do I start?

I reason I wanted to start blogging is to use it as a way to write down my thoughts and perhaps it may help me with my anxiety.

I think the blog name will be: ConfessionsofAnAnxiousMedic

any advice?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Someone more wise may say something about this but in terms of things to be careful of:
Don’t mention specific patients or reveal any personal information which may breach confidentiality
Be careful of giving medical advice online

The last one is a bit controversial:
You may need to use your own name and role nowadays posting online according to the GMC but someone double check.
username3756768
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mizzyportia)
I am currently a second year medical student and I was thinking of starting a blog but I'm not sure what exactly I should talk about of course it would be medically related but what exactly and where do I start?

I reason I wanted to start blogging is to use it as a way to write down my thoughts and perhaps it may help me with my anxiety.

any advice?
Yeah sounds really good - you can write about life as a medical student, your feelings about being one, your struggles etc... I’m a medical student too. I feel lots of people might gain a lot from it especially those applying
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mizzyportia)

any advice?
I think it's a good idea to start a blog and share your thoughts, as well as improve on your writing skills.

Just a word of warning though:

I started a blog in my first year of medical school. Found out during an Occupational Health appointment in my fourth year (I had mental health issues all through med school) that the medical school had been reading my blog posts and had actually printed off specific blog posts I had made around mental health and sent them to my occupational health physician.

Be careful.
mizzyportia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think it's a good idea to start a blog and share your thoughts, as well as improve on your writing skills.

I started a blog in my first year of medical school. Found out during an Occupational Health appointment in my fourth year (I had mental health issues all through med school) that the medical school had been reading my blog posts and had actually printed off specific blog posts I had made around mental health and sent them to my occupational health physician.

Be careful.
oh wow, thanks for the heads up about this yup definitely going to be extra careful with the content of the blog once I figure out how to create a blog in the first place lol
mizzyportia
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrXavier)
Yeah sounds really good - you can write about life as a medical student, your feelings about being one, your struggles etc... I’m a medical student too. I feel lots of people might gain a lot from it especially those applying
ahh yes it can definitely benefit others too, thank you for help with the content
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Be careful.
Dear lord that's frightening. Did you use your own full name for the blog? Did they mention to you how they found it?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ghotay)
Dear lord that's frightening. Did you use your own full name for the blog? Did they mention to you how they found it?
No I didn't use my full name but was using TSR quite a lot at the time and had my blog in my signature (my TSR username wasn't related to my name either).

I know that medical schools do look through TSR and that is understandable. I guess the most frustrating thing for me was the complete lack of transparency (they had been doing this for four years). It's particularly sad given the whole concept of greater pastoral support for medical students which involves a trusting and honest relationship between both parties.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No I didn't use my full name but was using TSR quite a lot at the time and had my blog in my signature (my TSR username wasn't related to my name either).

I know that medical schools do look through TSR and that is understandable. I guess the most frustrating thing for me was the complete lack of transparency (they had been doing this for four years). It's particularly sad given the whole concept of greater pastoral support for medical students which involves a trusting and honest relationship between both parties.
That is creepy as hell

EDIT: Like just imagine if a person did that rather than an institution. “Now now, as you said in your blog post three years ago...” “Excusemewhat”
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

It's pretty terrifying the amount of detective work they would have had to do to figure out it was you though, surely! I find it hard to even think of my medical school bothering to find out if I was a student there unless I started posting defamatory comments or saying I was cheating or something. Your experience is quite scary o__O
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed