Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in my final year of studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment. I am predicted to finish with D*D*D, which is equivalent to 160 UCAS points. At GCSE I got 4 A's and 6 B's with my options being French (A), German (A) and Business Studies & Economics (B). After GCSE's I attended a grammar school sixth form for A levels in Maths, Economics and Politics. However, due to medical conditions, I did not complete my AS levels and left the school. Therefore, I am now technically in 'year 14'.

I am considering studying architecture at uni but I don't know if I will be accepted because not all unis accept BTEC and I have never taken art.

Is it possible to do architecture by self teaching art? I am willing to study art alongside my BTEC in order to create a portfolio. Perhaps take art courses or a year out focused on improving my art skills.

Is this a viable option?

Thanks in advance!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ladybird29)
    Hi,

I'm currently in my final year of studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment. I am predicted to finish with D*D*D, which is equivalent to 160 UCAS points. At GCSE I got 4 A's and 6 B's with my options being French (A), German (A) and Business Studies & Economics (B). After GCSE's I attended a grammar school sixth form for A levels in Maths, Economics and Politics. However, due to medical conditions, I did not complete my AS levels and left the school. Therefore, I am now technically in 'year 14'.

I am considering studying architecture at uni but I don't know if I will be accepted because not all unis accept BTEC and I have never taken art.

Is it possible to do architecture by self teaching art? I am willing to study art alongside my BTEC in order to create a portfolio. Perhaps take art courses or a year out focused on improving my art skills.

Is this a viable option?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes it’s a option. Without a creative subject you will normally be asked to provide a portfolio. Most universities will have portfolio guidelines online to get an idea what is required. Generally a focus on drawing, particularly drawing from life (doesn’t have to be buildings just anything that you are able to capture in 2d from looking at the 3d) and some sort of 3d work (sculpture, model making, design/prototypes etc) are normally encouraged.

Applying to art and design foundation diploma (FAD) courses as a backup is a good idea too. There’s a faq on these courses at the top of the art and design university courses forum which explains what they cover. It would be a good idea for someone in your situation to develop your portfolio more with more support and also just to try out studying a creative course full time for a year before you commit to a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yes it’s a option. Without a creative subject you will normally be asked to provide a portfolio. Most universities will have portfolio guidelines online to get an idea what is required. Generally a focus on drawing, particularly drawing from life (doesn’t have to be buildings just anything that you are able to capture in 2d from looking at the 3d) and some sort of 3d work (sculpture, model making, design/prototypes etc) are normally encouraged.

Applying to art and design foundation diploma (FAD) courses as a backup is a good idea too. There’s a faq on these courses at the top of the art and design university courses forum which explains what they cover. It would be a good idea for someone in your situation to develop your portfolio more with more support and also just to try out studying a creative course full time for a year before you commit to a degree.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful and has given me a lot to think about. More structure would probably be better fro me rather than self-teaching art.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 24, 2018

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.