The Student Room Group

Do gcses matter for uni?

I’ve been looking at uni courses and some of them say I need a 6 or above in English language gcse but I only got a 5. Will this prevent me from being able to apply? I got 7s and above in everything else.
if they specify that you need that then unfortunately you do, that must stuck :frown: is a retake possible?
Original post by Sch55
I’ve been looking at uni courses and some of them say I need a 6 or above in English language gcse but I only got a 5. Will this prevent me from being able to apply? I got 7s and above in everything else.

GCSE requirements are quite rigid. If they ask for a 6 then you'll generally need it.
Tbh if you got 7s in everything out its most likely they would take it to account and ignore the 5. However, if the course is something strictly like English language ect, then they would most likely give be a bit harsh on you and for GCSE maths, some unis want it (mainly the top ones) and some don’t. However, it might put you at a disadvantage in terms of getting a job
Complete a disrupted studies form, your 7s will assist. Too many dodge markers out there, for all we know a remark could take you up to a 7 also. 5 is a pass and when it comes to applying for jobs nobody looks at GCSEs, most people do t even bother adding them after a while due to limited space. Don't worry.

PS I have assisted shortlisting so I have some experience
Reply 5
Original post by DagenhamDaisy
Complete a disrupted studies form, your 7s will assist. Too many dodge markers out there, for all we know a remark could take you up to a 7 also. 5 is a pass and when it comes to applying for jobs nobody looks at GCSEs, most people do t even bother adding them after a while due to limited space. Don't worry.

PS I have assisted shortlisting so I have some experience

Tbh I’ve heard a lot of people have had their English language remarked because so many people got lower than expected, I would have liked to get at least a 6. What’s a disrupted studies form?
It's a form you will need to request from admissions of the university you are applying to. It's like mitigating circumstances

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending