The Student Room Group

do i need work experience for mechanical engineering

I want to go to a good uni top 20 on league table. will everyone have work experience
Original post by tom123h456
I want to go to a good uni top 20 on league table. will everyone have work experience

No they won't but you need to pick a uni with a year in industry - the league tables are not much help in telling you which make you employable.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
No they won't but you need to pick a uni with a year in industry - the league tables are not much help in telling you which make you employable.

what about the "graduate prospect" column
Original post by tom123h456
what about the "graduate prospect" column

It doesn't tell you who got jobs in the Engineering industry though ...
Moved to Engineering
Reply 5
Unistats gives you an indication of employment prospects by sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Which has higher job prospects computer science or mechanical engineering.
Stuck between choosing from the two
You don't need work experience to get into the undergraduate degree. Most people will recommend you to do an internship or year in industry during your degree, but honestly, it's not strictly necessary, you still have pretty good prospects without it, even at more prestigious companies.

As Doonesbury said, unistats gives information on sector of employment, and you will find that the position on the league tables or overall employment prospects don't really correlate with the proportion of people that get into engineering.
Reply 8
Original post by Svesh
Which has higher job prospects computer science or mechanical engineering.
Stuck between choosing from the two

Do you want to be a mechanical engineer or a computer scientist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's worth noting in general, for engineering, the "brand name" factor of your university is often a lot less important and/or doesn't correlate that much to league tables. For example, Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt are extremely employable universities for engineering and often "targeted" by the few companies/roles that tend to do that in the sector. However, they aren't "Russell Group" and they sometimes don't do as well in overall rankings, and applicants sometimes seem rather put off by this. In reality though they are extremely strong options to choose, especially if you are planning to stay in engineering after you graduate (rather than e.g. try to parlay your engineering degree into a career in finance or similar); in fact, they are actually better than some of those RG unis that do well in overall rankings, who happen to have weak engineering departments and get held up in the rankings by their other, stronger departments..

The above is just an illustrative example, but the salient point is that with engineering, if that's your planned career, you really need to shed any preconceptions about "prestige" and ranking, because by an large they simply don't apply. As above though, UNISTATS has a lot of helpful statistics and in particular actually contextualise these (e.g. those stats on which sector specifically graduates get employed in), so I would echo the above sentiments about checking that out.
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you want to be a mechanical engineer or a computer scientist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm edging more towards CS however, I like working in groups and solving problems with physics physically and I think this would be lacking in the cs degree and there would be alot of solo work.
Reply 11
cam i any one give me any work eperience places for mechanical engineering?

Quick Reply

Latest