The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00 Takes University - A University of Leeds Freshers Blog

I managed to blog myself right the way through my A-Level year and apparently a few people enjoyed it so here I am again, and this time I’m at University?!

About Me

Hey Everyone! I’m Emily, and I’m going to the University of Leeds to do Computer Science and Mathematics BSc for the next 3 (or hopefully 4 if I manage to get a year in industry) years of my life.

Leeds was my insurance choice as any of you who read my GYG blog last year will know, however I didn’t quite get the A-Level grades I needed to get in to my firm so Leeds is where I’m heading. I was gutted on results day but having had time to come to terms with things I’m really happy with where I’m going and extremely excited to move in.

I’m also trying to build up a university based Youtube channel this year so a few of those videos may appear here if I actually manage to get around to it!

Academic Info

Here's my previous results for anyone interested:

GCSE’s

Spoiler

AS-Levels

Spoiler

A-Levels

Spoiler

So What’s Gone On So Far?

I’ve been so busy lately that it’s taken me FOREVER to get around to beginning this blog. This means that a lot of University related things have already gone on so I’ll try and run through the story so far very briefly!

My first main issue was getting accommodation. Since Leeds was my insurance I could only apply for accommodation after results day whilst everyone who firmed Leeds could apply months before, and a lot of them already had accommodation allocated to them. This meant I was left with a more limited choice of halls I could apply to, and I was desperate to have an ensuite bathroom however ensuite rooms were the rooms which were most limited.

In the end I ended up getting ensuite accommodation in a Private Halls (so not owned by the university like the halls I thought I’d end up at.) This means not everyone in my accommodation is actually going to my university and they’re not all first years either. However this was a compromise I was willing to take for my own toilet :lol:

I only found out I’d got my place in these halls 2 weeks ago which was actually really late compared to when most people got allocated accommodation. This meant I was so ready to go shopping as it felt like I’d been waiting ages and well… I did quite the damage in Ikea, Wilko and Dunelm!

That isn’t even all of it… :oops:

As for moving in to accommodation, I officially move in on Saturday 22nd (2 days eek!) however there was also a key collection day on Saturday 15th as well. After hearing a few horror stories about the rooms from the first few people moving in, me and my parents impulsively decided to pack up the car last Saturday and drive to Leeds so I could get a look at my room as well as move half my stuff in!

The room isn’t as bad as people made out, just very small with very limited storage space and no shelves ( :sigh: ) but overall I’m happy with it! Also very glad we made the impulse decision to do 2 trips otherwise I’d never have fit all my stuff in the car. :teehee:

I’ve also just finished making a budgeting spreadsheet which should suffice me throughout the year and not going to lie I'm pretty proud of it:

First Semester Bucket List

Here's a list of things I'd like to do in my first semester of University, I'd like to hope I'm not being too ambitious here!

Decorate my room sticking to a colour scheme

Make an effort to befriend my flatmates

Survive Freshers Week :beer:

Join a society

Join the university brass band (…hopefully :eek3: )

Select my optional modules properly

Expand my cooking regime

Budget efficiently with my fancy spreadsheet

Keep on top of the workload :argh:

Get to know as many people as possible

Maintain my YouTube channel

And of course maintain this blog!

Important Dates

Below is a list of very important dates during my university year, I will update this as the year progresses (including adding my exam dates :afraid: )

Spoiler

Updates

Here I will leave a list of key blog updates for reference:

Spoiler

And I think that’s everything, sorry this was so long! I will be doing a tag list on this blog so you can be notified every time I update which should be once every week! I decided daily updates for a second year running was a bit much so we’re going for weekly this time :innocent:

I shall tag everyone from my last years GYG one last time and just let me know if you want to be added to the tag list for this blog! (If not this is the last time I tag you I promise :redface: )

Spoiler

Hopefully this blog will document a great first year so I look forward to it!

- Emily :wavey:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by EmilySarah00
x

Sign me up! :awesome: Good luck at university, Emily :cube:

Also, OMG, you have a Youtube channel?! :shock: I did not know that :getmecoat: Could you please tell me your username so I can watch your videos, please? :colondollar:
Original post by Michiyo
Sign me up! :awesome: Good luck at university, Emily :cube:

Also, OMG, you have a Youtube channel?! :shock: I did not know that :getmecoat: Could you please tell me your username so I can watch your videos, please? :colondollar:

Hooray! And thank you very much :hugs:

My YouTube channel is actually just my real name which is Emily Hilson (I'm not so protective over my name so I don't care if people know that.) I'm pretty sure if you search that my channel comes up at the top :hide:

It's not looking so great at the minute but I'm hoping the university videos will be a bit more exciting :laugh:
Reply 3
Hooray! And thank you very much :hugs:

My YouTube channel is actually just my real name which is Emily Hilson (I'm not so protective over my name so I don't care if people know that.) I'm pretty sure if you search that my channel comes up at the top :hide:

It's not looking so great at the minute but I'm hoping the university videos will be a bit more exciting :laugh:

OMG, is yours the one with 9600 subscribers after less than three months? :shock: Not going to lie, that is actually a decent number, given that most seem to struggle to get 1000 in a whole year of daily updates :yep:

I think it is looking good! :grin: But that might be because my main YouTube community at the moment is story time animation, in which anyone with 100000 subscribers is a God and few people have over a million subscribers :hide:
Reply 4
I would definitely like to be tagged! Excited to read more posts from you!
Emily, just enjoy ur life at Leeds!!
Reply 6
sign me up!! I'm looking forward to this. best of luck at uni!! :rave:
yes, i'd love to be tagged:biggrin:
keep me tagged :hugs:
you are going to flourish!!!
Tag me!! :gah: So excited to see how you get on at Leeds! :woo:
Reply 10
I see an ikea blue bag :gah:
Wait you were on AQA Computing :confused: I'm sure we had moaning fests about OCR :lol:
Anyway, massive good luck, can't wait to hear all about your year :excited:
(but no tag list please, trying not to do them this year :getmecoat:)
Tag meeee!! So so so excited for you, you’re gonna do such amazing things and I can’t wait to read all about them! :cookie:
Reply 13
Tag me, please!

I managed to blog myself right the way through my A-Level year and apparently a few people enjoyed it so here I am again, and this time I’m at University?!

About Me

Hey Everyone! I’m Emily, and I’m going to the University of Leeds to do Computer Science and Mathematics BSc for the next 3 (or hopefully 4 if I manage to get a year in industry) years of my life.

Leeds was my insurance choice as any of you who read my GYG blog last year will know, however I didn’t quite get the A-Level grades I needed to get in to my firm so Leeds is where I’m heading. I was gutted on results day but having had time to come to terms with things I’m really happy with where I’m going and extremely excited to move in.

I’m also trying to build up a university based Youtube channel this year so a few of those videos may appear here if I actually manage to get around to it!

Academic Info

Here's my previous results for anyone interested:

GCSE’s

Spoiler

AS-Levels

Spoiler

A-Levels

Spoiler

So What’s Gone On So Far?

I’ve been so busy lately that it’s taken me FOREVER to get around to beginning this blog. This means that a lot of University related things have already gone on so I’ll try and run through the story so far very briefly!

My first main issue was getting accommodation. Since Leeds was my insurance I could only apply for accommodation after results day whilst everyone who firmed Leeds could apply months before, and a lot of them already had accommodation allocated to them. This meant I was left with a more limited choice of halls I could apply to, and I was desperate to have an ensuite bathroom however ensuite rooms were the rooms which were most limited.

In the end I ended up getting ensuite accommodation in a Private Halls (so not owned by the university like the halls I thought I’d end up at.) This means not everyone in my accommodation is actually going to my university and they’re not all first years either. However this was a compromise I was willing to take for my own toilet :lol:

I only found out I’d got my place in these halls 2 weeks ago which was actually really late compared to when most people got allocated accommodation. This meant I was so ready to go shopping as it felt like I’d been waiting ages and well… I did quite the damage in Ikea, Wilko and Dunelm!

That isn’t even all of it… :oops:

As for moving in to accommodation, I officially move in on Saturday 22nd (2 days eek!) however there was also a key collection day on Saturday 15th as well. After hearing a few horror stories about the rooms from the first few people moving in, me and my parents impulsively decided to pack up the car last Saturday and drive to Leeds so I could get a look at my room as well as move half my stuff in!

The room isn’t as bad as people made out, just very small with very limited storage space and no shelves ( :sigh: ) but overall I’m happy with it! Also very glad we made the impulse decision to do 2 trips otherwise I’d never have fit all my stuff in the car. :teehee:

I’ve also just finished making a budgeting spreadsheet which should suffice me throughout the year and not going to lie I'm pretty proud of it:

First Semester Bucket List

Here's a list of things I'd like to do in my first semester of University, I'd like to hope I'm not being too ambitious here!

Decorate my room sticking to a colour scheme

Make an effort to befriend my flatmates

Survive Freshers Week :beer:

Join a society

Join the university brass band (…hopefully :eek3: )

Select my optional modules properly

Expand my cooking regime

Budget efficiently with my fancy spreadsheet

Keep on top of the workload :argh:

Get to know as many people as possible

Maintain my YouTube channel

And of course maintain this blog!

Important Dates

Below is a list of very important dates during my university year, I will update this as the year progresses (including adding my exam dates :afraid: )

Spoiler

Updates

Here I will leave a list of key blog updates for reference:

Spoiler

And I think that’s everything, sorry this was so long! I will be doing a tag list on this blog so you can be notified every time I update which should be once every week! I decided daily updates for a second year running was a bit much so we’re going for weekly this time :innocent:

I shall tag everyone from my last years GYG one last time and just let me know if you want to be added to the tag list for this blog! (If not this is the last time I tag you I promise :redface: )

Spoiler

Hopefully this blog will document a great first year so I look forward to it!

- Emily :wavey:

I'm happy to stay tagged :smile:
Original post by Michiyo
OMG, is yours the one with 9600 subscribers after less than three months? :shock: Not going to lie, that is actually a decent number, given that most seem to struggle to get 1000 in a whole year of daily updates :yep:

I think it is looking good! :grin: But that might be because my main YouTube community at the moment is story time animation, in which anyone with 100000 subscribers is a God and few people have over a million subscribers :hide:

That is the one! However the subscribers were not gained over three months (I wish!) My channel was a bit different in the past but I deleted it all then set it up again :lol:

Thank you though! I’m hopefully vlogging tomorrow so that should be interesting :teehee:

Original post by Lelanor
I would definitely like to be tagged! Excited to read more posts from you!

Thank you! :heart:

Original post by Sherryew
Emily, just enjoy ur life at Leeds!!

Ahh thanks a lot! I hope I will :eek3:

Original post by nyxnko_
sign me up!! I'm looking forward to this. best of luck at uni!! :rave:

Yeees! Thanks so much :woo:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
yes, i'd love to be tagged:biggrin:

Hooray! You’re on the list :wink2:

Original post by clouddbubbles
keep me tagged :hugs:
you are going to flourish!!!

Aww thank you lovely :cube:

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Tag me!! :gah: So excited to see how you get on at Leeds! :woo:

Yesss! I’m so so so nervous now :eek3:
Original post by 8472
I see an ikea blue bag :gah:

Couldn’t do uni shopping without a trip to IKEA now could I? :wink2: :lol:

Original post by Lemur14
Wait you were on AQA Computing :confused: I'm sure we had moaning fests about OCR :lol:
Anyway, massive good luck, can't wait to hear all about your year :excited:
(but no tag list please, trying not to do them this year :getmecoat:)

Ah I’m an idiot! Got so carried away typing AQA for every other subject that I typed it for Computing too! I did do OCR :laugh:
And thank you so much! I won’t put you on the list don’t worry I’ve heard about your none tag list thing this year :hugs:

Original post by Protostar
Tag meeee!! So so so excited for you, you’re gonna do such amazing things and I can’t wait to read all about them! :cookie:

Consider yourself tagged! :giggle: I’m so excited for you too it’s so crazy where we’ve ended up! :cube:

Original post by MR1999
Tag me, please!

Got it! :woo:

Original post by Labrador99
I'm happy to stay tagged :smile:

Yay! :tongue:

Ah I’m an idiot! Got so carried away typing AQA for every other subject that I typed it for Computing too! I did do OCR :laugh:
And thank you so much! I won’t put you on the list don’t worry I’ve heard about your none tag list thing this year :hugs:

:lol: Okay was confused there :rofl:
Good luck tomorrow :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tag me please! I really enjoyed your GYG blog.

Quick Reply

Latest