The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00 Takes University - A University of Leeds Freshers Blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Sorry you were ill, I can relate with the coughy sniffly thing, it sucks :frown: Hope you get better soon! :hugs:
Analysis is actually gross, every single lecture makes me question my life decisions :colondollar:
An open book test :gah: I didn't even know that was a thing at uni! :gah:

It's very horrible! Especially after 2 weeks :facepalm: Hope you get well soon too! :heart:
And yeah I agree, most lectures make me question myself to be honest :laugh:
And IKR! I don't even think I had an open test in high school let alone uni! :eek:

Original post by nyxnko_
I'm sorry you've been sick! Get well soon! :console:
But I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! :woo:

Thanks so much :hugs:

Original post by Ethan100
Hey Emily could you add me to the tags please? :smile:

Of course! :yep:

Original post by pereira325
Emily, sucks to hear you've not had the best week.
Personally, I've not experienced a bad flu like that for a few years but depression and loneliness can feel almost as bad, if not worse in a different way. Different pains... physical and mental I suppose.
Glad to hear you made a friend, ish! Hopefully you got her number/ facebook to chat/get more interaction going.
I don't have many friends at uni, but for the couple I do, I'd be very isolated if I didn't meet up with them all the time. Flatmates sound great, but the friends you really want are ones in your course so you have extra reason to attend lectures, and so a boring lecture is a little less boring!
Glad to hear you don't like proof by induction (one of the reasons I didn't want to do A2 further maths :tongue:) , but it's making a comeback!
Good to see you pulled yourself together to catch up. That's serious work and you did it!!!
I think I said it before, but the only way is up.
I don't know about friends from societies but what I do know is everyone's timetable is different and your degree sounds like it has a significant amount of teaching time, so yeah, friends from lectures/classes in priority!
About the whole partying thing... it depends on who you are I guess! I've not actually been to a party-party yet (awkward!), but it's clearly not the end of the world. I think the deal is finding happiness in the small things in life, and of course, one step at a time. To-do lists are great in that element, so nice work.

Yeah it was a struggle but life goes on! If I'd have vlogged the week it definitely wouldn't have been so great :lol:
And yeah I have her facebook! She's not the best at replying but she's definitely a friend :smile:
But I agree it's so important to have friends, even if it's just a couple, otherwise everything seems so lonely.
Also I somehow did Further Maths and completely avoided proof by induction?! I was so shocked when just about everyone else on my course had already done it and I was the only clueless one! :facepalm:
I'm still desperate to join a society despite it proving a serious struggle, but I agree that course friends are the most important as they're the ones you're around the most! It's getting better though as time goes on :yep:
And honestly parties aren't all that, you just end up with regrets and a bad head and wonder why you went out in the first place, so it's not all bad to not have been to any :smile:
(Kind Of) Update #4 - My University Room!

This has been a LONG time coming but I'm finally up to posting some pictures of my University Room! It took a fair amount of decorating and it wasn't quite finished when I took these photos however it's completely done in the video so you can see everything there if you want to take the time to watch :yep:

I'm still slightly at war with the colour scheme as it doesn't feel quite as coordinated as I wanted it to (there's just a lot of white and not much else) but I don't think I'm going to do a better job now, I just really regret getting the white photo frames from IKEA rather than the grey equivalents :ashamed:

But anyways here's some photos and then a full on video tour! :woo:

Photos:

Video:

[video="youtube;ipEyzcUSJno"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipEyzcUSJno&t=7s[/video]

Until next weeks update (which will probably be Monday rather than the weekend again.)
- Emily x

Tags:

Spoiler

circleofsighs
x

[QUOTE=EstelOfTheEyrie]x
ikuyo
x

Ethan100
x

YOUR ROOM IS SO AESTHETIC!! :love:
Original post by EmilySarah00
(Kind Of) Update #4 - My University Room!

This has been a LONG time coming but I'm finally up to posting some pictures of my University Room! It took a fair amount of decorating and it wasn't quite finished when I took these photos however it's completely done in the video so you can see everything there if you want to take the time to watch :yep:

I'm still slightly at war with the colour scheme as it doesn't feel quite as coordinated as I wanted it to (there's just a lot of white and not much else) but I don't think I'm going to do a better job now, I just really regret getting the white photo frames from IKEA rather than the grey equivalents :ashamed:

But anyways here's some photos and then a full on video tour! :woo:

Photos:

Video:

[video="youtube;ipEyzcUSJno"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipEyzcUSJno&t=7s[/video]

Until next weeks update (which will probably be Monday rather than the weekend again.)
- Emily x

Tags:

Spoiler

love your room! praying i get a double bed when i go to uni!!
your room's so pretty omg
Good luck with university and well done on getting a place. I wanna do computing at uni too so please sign me up to your tag list!! :smile:
Ahhh I love your room!! I can also relate to the fairy light photo wall being an absolute task lol but mine is considerably smaller (and messier :redface:) than yours is!

I need to visit IKEA by the looks, I’ve wanted some mini cacti/succulents for ages :sadnod:
I felt like such a failure for not making it into uni every day honestly! But it was for the best because I was so so ill (still recovering and it's been nearly 2 weeks :eek3: )
I don't know what it is with uni halls and fire alarms! They just always go off :facepalm:
And yeah the weekend was a struggle I'm kind of proud of myself for getting stuff done :woo:
Thanks very much :cube:

I'm pretty sure I can only think of one person I know as a fresher who has managed to get in every day so far...(although tbf I don't know loads, but still fresher flu seems to have hit everyone hard this year)
Or then you get St Andrews just testing them pre 7am until they get out in time :eek:
Did loads more than me at any rate :laugh:
:cube:
Soooo pretty! :heart: Even the blinds match! :gah:

Yeah it was a struggle but life goes on! If I'd have vlogged the week it definitely wouldn't have been so great :lol:
And yeah I have her facebook! She's not the best at replying but she's definitely a friend :smile:
But I agree it's so important to have friends, even if it's just a couple, otherwise everything seems so lonely.
Also I somehow did Further Maths and completely avoided proof by induction?! I was so shocked when just about everyone else on my course had already done it and I was the only clueless one! :facepalm:
I'm still desperate to join a society despite it proving a serious struggle, but I agree that course friends are the most important as they're the ones you're around the most! It's getting better though as time goes on :yep:
And honestly parties aren't all that, you just end up with regrets and a bad head and wonder why you went out in the first place, so it's not all bad to not have been to any :smile:

Well, vlog when you feel like it right! You're doing it on your phone so wherever and whenever inspiration strikes. Just treat it in the same way as your blog really except the 3d experience is there. A video is so much better because you can see a persons emotions and it just makes it seem so much more real. Plus, it might be easier (and more enjoyable) talking rather than typing. I reckon comp sci keeps you typing mandatorily enough as it is!!! But yeah, that's why I would love to see more vlogs. Obviously there's the convenience for people watching too, and since it's a video it retains people's attention more so than a huge pile of text.

Well, yay for friends.

I encountered proof by induction in FP1, unless I remember wrong (but it was so "traumatising" I can't forget it -joking obviously). Ah well, I'd say enjoy catching up, but that's not likely, so find a way to do it haha.

With regards to the society thing, what do you mean? Are you not in any societies yet? Personally, I'm a fan of tennis/badminton but for whatever reason they're on at the time I have some lecture or class, so I can't even attend. But then yeah, there's all the "cool" other ones, like dance. Not my cup of tea (not that tea is m cup of tea either :biggrin:), but yeah I'm not the best on giving advice on societies. Especially since I'm like a member of only 2 and I don't exactly regularly attend :tongue:.

To be fair, I'm glad you made your video showing the whole party thing, including the side-effects. Makes me think of the chain smokers song (which I reckon is playing on in the clubs?!). The one party I suppose I'm looking forward to is one for my degree which they have every year- called an Economics Ball. As you can tell it's not literally just clubbing, but a great evening out. I think it's the company you have really can make a huge difference :smile:

And, nice room!
OMG GUYS I'm SO SORRY these replies took SO LONG I've just never been more busy in my life it's mental!

Original post by nyxnko_
YOUR ROOM IS SO AESTHETIC!! :love:

THANK YOU SO MUCH :heart:

Original post by circleofsighs
love your room! praying i get a double bed when i go to uni!!

Ahh thank you! Try to apply to accomodation with a double bed it's kinda worth it :teehee:

Original post by entertainmyfaith
your room's so pretty omg

Thanks so much! :cube:

Original post by Strawbecky
Good luck with university and well done on getting a place. I wanna do computing at uni too so please sign me up to your tag list!! :smile:

Thank you lovely! Computing at uni is pretty nice not going to lie, so I'd recommend it! And you're on the tag list now :wink2:
Again very very awfully sorry for the majorly late replies!

Original post by Protostar
Ahhh I love your room!! I can also relate to the fairy light photo wall being an absolute task lol but mine is considerably smaller (and messier :redface:) than yours is!

I need to visit IKEA by the looks, I’ve wanted some mini cacti/succulents for ages :sadnod:

Thanks so much! Honestly I got the ruler out for my wall and literally did maths to make it neat!

And my REAL cacti came from my university plant sale, sadly the IKEA ones are all fake (but that means I can't kill them :lol: )

Original post by Lemur14
I'm pretty sure I can only think of one person I know as a fresher who has managed to get in every day so far...(although tbf I don't know loads, but still fresher flu seems to have hit everyone hard this year)
Or then you get St Andrews just testing them pre 7am until they get out in time :eek:
Did loads more than me at any rate :laugh:
:cube:

I've been doing much better with attendance since! Some of my flatmates are getting ill for a second time now though and if that happens to me you'll find me crying in a ditch somewhere :facepalm:
And oh my gosh yeah my friend at Cambridge also had a 7am test and wow that is not ok!

Soooo pretty! :heart: Even the blinds match! :gah:

Thank you so much! :love: The blinds were purely coincidence :teehee:

Well, vlog when you feel like it right! You're doing it on your phone so wherever and whenever inspiration strikes. Just treat it in the same way as your blog really except the 3d experience is there. A video is so much better because you can see a persons emotions and it just makes it seem so much more real. Plus, it might be easier (and more enjoyable) talking rather than typing. I reckon comp sci keeps you typing mandatorily enough as it is!!! But yeah, that's why I would love to see more vlogs. Obviously there's the convenience for people watching too, and since it's a video it retains people's attention more so than a huge pile of text.

Well, yay for friends.

I encountered proof by induction in FP1, unless I remember wrong (but it was so "traumatising" I can't forget it -joking obviously). Ah well, I'd say enjoy catching up, but that's not likely, so find a way to do it haha.

With regards to the society thing, what do you mean? Are you not in any societies yet? Personally, I'm a fan of tennis/badminton but for whatever reason they're on at the time I have some lecture or class, so I can't even attend. But then yeah, there's all the "cool" other ones, like dance. Not my cup of tea (not that tea is m cup of tea either :biggrin:), but yeah I'm not the best on giving advice on societies. Especially since I'm like a member of only 2 and I don't exactly regularly attend :tongue:.

To be fair, I'm glad you made your video showing the whole party thing, including the side-effects. Makes me think of the chain smokers song (which I reckon is playing on in the clubs?!). The one party I suppose I'm looking forward to is one for my degree which they have every year- called an Economics Ball. As you can tell it's not literally just clubbing, but a great evening out. I think it's the company you have really can make a huge difference :smile:

And, nice room!

I'd planned to vlog my day today as it was a busy one but I thought of the idea of vlogging around uni and it scared me a little, plus I wasn't feeling 100% so it probably wasn't the best idea! I will do an in depth daily vlog one day though like "A day in the life of a uni student".

I've improved ever so slightly on proof by induction but when I come back to it nearer to the exam I'm sure I'll be wobbly again :facepalm:

I have NOW joined a society that isn't my subject one! So that means I actually have more chance to make friends, but initially the only society I had joined was plain old Computer Science Society which isn't all that interesting. Sports definitely isn't my cup of tea though besides maybe swimming, so I wasn't really planning on joining any sports societies. More info on what I've joined will come on my next update!

Clubbing can be fun but I definitely don't do it often! And if i can pluck up the self control to not drink much it makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable actually! But sometimes I'm weak and succumb to the alcohol... :oops:

And thank you!

I've been doing much better with attendance since! Some of my flatmates are getting ill for a second time now though and if that happens to me you'll find me crying in a ditch somewhere :facepalm:
And oh my gosh yeah my friend at Cambridge also had a 7am test and wow that is not ok!

That's good :smile: Hope you escape being ill a second time :hugs:
7am should not exist, let alone being out of bed for it :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update #5 - Getting Into The Swing Of Things

So I'll start by saying a huge sorry that it's been absolutely AGES Since I last updated you all on how I'm doing! Honestly I've just been so busy I never found the time to write an update! I think the last time I wrote a weekly update here was when I'd just returned to University after going home ill for the weekend. It's safe to say I've gotten better since then and have been up to a LOT since I last updated you!

In this post I won't go through each day individually because that would actually take FOREVER, I'll just do a brief rundown of each week I've been missing (so 2 whole weeks!)

Week 2 Of University (8th - 14th October)

I was back to University this week after missing 2 days due to illness! I had managed to catch up over the weekend though so I went in on Monday without any missing knowledge. I was managing to keep up with my Maths lectures just about, and started to master making good notes in lectures. I had my first 3 Tutorials (small group sessions) this week and I found the Computer Science one fine but found one of the Maths ones pretty distressing, spotting a trend here? I also handed in my first formal written homework!

On the Wednesday I treated myself to a bit of shopping and spent a bit too much money on some jumpers and a new pair of jeans :oops: As well as a Costa Lunch! There's many reasons why I keep overspending on my weekly budget, and treating myself to time in Leeds centre where I'm surrounded by shops is definitely one of them.

As the end of the week drew closer, I was getting more and more excited for the weekend! On Thursday evening my flat all went out to a dessert bar called Kaspas. I spent an absolute fortune (RIP budget) and didn't manage to finish my waffle, but it was really enjoyable! Afterwards I spent 2 hours doing work until about midnight because I knew I'd do nothing all weekend.

Friday was a bit of a drag because I just wanted to get to the train station at the end of the day, so my lectures felt SO LONG. But I stuck them out and then rushed to Leeds station to go to Newcastle to see Harry :heart: The Uber to the station should have taken about 7 minutes but I was in there for well over 30 due to traffic and I made it to my train with a minute to spare, having never been in Leeds station before that was VERY stressful but it was 110% all worth it!

The only work I got done all weekend was writing 2 Python programs to finish my first coursework for my Python module, but that was more than enough because I'd planned to just enjoy the weekend in a new city with my Boyfriend! We spent Saturday exploring the city and then went for an evening meal at Wagamamas. And Sunday was spent (slightly hungover) shopping in Eldon Square shopping centre which was actually so nice and kinda beats what Leeds has not going to lie, although Trinity is still pretty good!

I returned home on Sunday evening pretty sad to have left, and very exhausted, I held back almost all the tears though and distracted myself with Netflix when I got back to my flat at about 8PM.

Week 3 Of University (15th - 21st October)

Monday was a busy day as I had 4 hours of University consisting of 2 lectures and 2 tutorials (including my first maths test :facepalm: ) Then in my sadness on the Sunday I booked a night out for Monday night so I had that as well and wow was it a long day! The test wasn't great but my other tutorial was very useful and I just about followed the lectures too. I also had to go shopping in town after my University day because I had absolutely no food in after my weekend away!

My night out was a bit of a let down, it was meant to be a 90's themed night (at Mission club for anyone who knows Leeds) but they played absolutely no 90's music! The only 90's thing about it was what people were wearing. So clearly to get over the disappointment I must have drank a bit too much because the next day wasn't so pretty.

On Tuesday I felt pretty rough so I skipped my first lecture despite it being at midday. I made it in for my 3PM tutorial despite thinking it was at 4PM and having to really rush to make it there. But I forced myself because I had coursework to hand in for one of my Computer Science modules and I knew there was something I needed to do after that too despite feeling pretty sick.

That thing I had to do was go to Brass Band rehearsal. I knew the only way I'd ever have a chance at joining would be to just show up so that's exactly what I did. I stood outside the rehearsal room for a solid 10 minutes peeking in the window and being too scared to walk in! I was early but by the time I plucked up the courage to walk in after waiting for 10 minutes the rehearsal had already started so that was even more daunting. I stood awkwardly at the side of the room while they finished the first run through of a piece and then the Conductor spoke to me like "Hi?"

I walked up to him and explained I'd come to rehearsal but I didn't have an instrument and he asked me what I played. As soon as I said my instrument which was a Baritone Horn he sounded so delighted and exclaimed to a member of the band "We have an actual Baritone player!" (It's a pretty uncommon instrument.) He proceeded to very enthusiastically just hand me a Baritone and told me I can just have it because no one else uses it.

Then I ended up actually participating in the whole 2 hour practice despite not having played for a whole year! It was a bit scary and I'm not quite back to grips with it yet but I'm so proud of myself for doing what I did :smile: Plus I'm head of my section because I'm the only one! :lol:

That story was quite long so I'll just gloss over the rest of the week as it was less eventful. After my 2 lectures on Wednesday I spent the rest of my time doing a lot of Homework before getting a Chinese takeaway and baking cookies with my flat! Then Thursday was just a long day consisting of many lectures including 2h straight of Maths lectures which is never any fun. I struggled a bit with polar and exponential forms of Complex Numbers in one of the lectures so that's something to go over.

Then on Friday I had just 2 boring lectures before another night out, this time with my friend from my course as well as my flatmates which was really nice! I didn't drink too much either which made the whole experience more enjoyable, especially the next day!

This weekend was spent running many errands. Saturday consisted of food shopping and I also bought a coat from Primark which I'm actually in love with, a lot of people have been wearing it lately but it's a rust coloured corduroy puffer jacket and I ADORE it :heart: Then on Sunday I spent just about all of my time in the Laundry room washing 2 weeks worth of clothes, my bedding and my towels! Safe to say it was a HUGE task, and making a double bed on my own was a lot of effort too. Then on Sunday evening we did yet more flat baking, brownies this time, then I slept pretty late which I regretted this morning!

Bucket List Update:

I think I've made some actual progress with my list since I've got better! So I'll get to that now.

Join the university brass band (...hopefully :eek3: )

I've actually gone and done it! Ah this just feels like such an achievement because I've been fretting about this ever since starting university and being told I won't be able to join at the freshers fair. I just feel so good knowing that I'm now actually part of something that isn't subject related and I'll actually be able to make new friends, even if it is a little nerve wracking!

Keep on top of the workload

I actually think I'm doing quite a good job with the workload! I keep getting everything done in good time even despite being away for a whole weekend. I've never been late with anything and I don't feel super stressed that everything has piled up yet because I keep doing things as soon as possible after they're set! (Today I even got started on work that's due in November!)

Get to know as many people as possible

I think I'm finally making some progress with this, I've now spoke to more people than ever! I know a fair few faces in my lectures now. Even though I'd still only class 1 person as my proper friend, I know others well enough to have conversations. I've also been to a fair few flat parties now so I've met other people through that, as well as now joining Brass Band which should allow me to meet even more people!

Budget efficiently with my fancy spreadsheet

I'm doing this to an extent. I've kept up with updating my spreadsheet every time I buy something, this involved keeping recipts etc which is a lot to remember. However the thing I'm actually struggling with is keeping under budget! This week is looking a little more positive (although I do have 2 meals out planned later on in the week... :hmmm: )

---

That's finally it! I'm sure this is long as always but I feel I've definitely made some progress over these past few weeks and my mood has improved as a result :grin:

Hope you're all having a good week so far!
- Emily :smile:

Tags

Spoiler

circleofsighs
x

[QUOTE=EstelOfTheEyrie]x
ikuyo
x

Ethan100
x

Strawbecky
x

So happy to hear that you're getting on a lot better! And :woo: for brass band working out so well! Ngl I'm surprised they just had a spare baritone horn around :laugh: Don't think I've ever met someone who plays that before!
Flat baking sounds like fun (and brownies :gah: Send some down here :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to hear things are going well in general! :hugs: Yaaaaay for brass band! :woo:
glad to hear you've managed to make some more friends:hugs:
the photos look lovely:love:
*Thumbs up*
Glad things are going well! :woo:
Back again with my infamous late replies :getmecoat:

Original post by Lemur14
So happy to hear that you're getting on a lot better! And :woo: for brass band working out so well! Ngl I'm surprised they just had a spare baritone horn around :laugh: Don't think I've ever met someone who plays that before!
Flat baking sounds like fun (and brownies :gah: Send some down here :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay for brass band indeed! It made me laugh that they had one, but it also kind of makes sense because if they say have 1 of each instrument it's most likely to be unclaimed as it's unpopular!
And oh my gosh flat baking is so fun :lol: But the washing up once the hot water goes off... not so much :facepalm:

Glad to hear things are going well in general! :hugs: Yaaaaay for brass band! :woo:

Thanks so much! I hope you're well :heart:
And yess, plucking up the courage to join brass band was such an achievement for me :teehee:

Original post by entertainmyfaith
glad to hear you've managed to make some more friends:hugs:
the photos look lovely:love:

I'm also glad! I feel more settled now for sure :yep:
And thank you :cube:

*Thumbs up*

:yy: :hugs:

Original post by nyxnko_
Glad things are going well! :woo:

Thanks so much! :heart:

Quick Reply