The Student Room Group

Driving right after passing my driving practical test?

I just passed yesterday on my driving test. I'm aware i can drive now before my full license comes using my pass certificate. But the question is how do I insure on my new car? Should i do it online? They ask for my license number. Do I give my provisional license number? How will they know I have passed the test without the license? Will they then ask me to send a scanned copy of my pass certificate?

Note: I learned to drive on my instructor's car so I don't have a learner's insurance or anything like that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah, get quotes online then fill in the application info online, it might still make you call them to complete it but it's pretty straight forward. AFAIK your licence number doesn't change from the provisional one. Again AFAIK the insurance company CAN ask for physical documents (at any time), but generally don't and take your word for it, after all, you've just signed a document saying it's the truth and your insurance is void if you've lied (+prosecution) so I doubt they see it as their problem
When I passed last week I did it all online but when I rang them it was cheaper. Some sites ask for your license number on your certificate but you don't have to online. Comparison sites help if you prefer to do it online. Then read your emails off them carefully incase they need anything from you.
Hope that helps aswell
You'll have the same licence number anyway, and it'll be on the DVLA system by now that you've passed and hold a full licence.

You can sort your insurance online, though if you're looking to get it as cheap as possible then your best bet is to get the cheapest online quote you can, then phone some companies and say you're shopping around and ask if they can beat the quote. Then take that quote to someone else, ask if they can beat it and then go to someone else with that quote. Keep doing that until nobody will budge, then take the cheapest quote you can get. As a first time driver especially, you can save hundreds of pounds on your first year's insurance doing this.
Reply 4
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
You'll have the same licence number anyway, and it'll be on the DVLA system by now that you've passed and hold a full licence.

You can sort your insurance online, though if you're looking to get it as cheap as possible then your best bet is to get the cheapest online quote you can, then phone some companies and say you're shopping around and ask if they can beat the quote. Then take that quote to someone else, ask if they can beat it and then go to someone else with that quote. Keep doing that until nobody will budge, then take the cheapest quote you can get. As a first time driver especially, you can save hundreds of pounds on your first year's insurance doing this.

That's the thing the DVLA system online still says that I hold a provisional license. Maybe it takes time for it to change on the database? Or is it supposed to be instant?
Original post by dmeoninside
That's the thing the DVLA system online still says that I hold a provisional license. Maybe it takes time for it to change on the database? Or is it supposed to be instant?

It can take a while, mine didn’t update until right before my licence came in the post. It doesn’t matter though, as someone mentioned before they generally take your word for it. I got insured the same day as passing my test with no problems and no evidence needed. The only time I needed my pass certificate was when I needed to drive a hire car before my new licence came through due to a problem with the car :smile:
I just passed yesterday on my driving test. I'm aware i can drive now before my full license comes using my pass certificate. But the question is how do I insure on my new car? Should i do it online? They ask for my license number. Do I give my provisional license number? How will they know I have passed the test without the license? Will they then ask me to send a scanned copy of my pass certificate?

Note: I learned to drive on my instructor's car so I don't have a learner's insurance or anything like that.

Get quotes online, they usually just ask you how long you've had your licence for. In your case 0 years and 0 months.

Your pass certificate is enough proof to show you've passed your driving test.

When you're getting your insurance just put down that you've got a full licence and set the years and months to 0. That's what I did.
Reply 8
All right. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest