The Student Room Group

so i'm pregnant with my step-brother's baby

i know this isn't an everyday issue, but i just need some outside advice. if you're here to judge me, please move on.

so my parents divorced when i was 8, and my mum and i have had a strained relationship ever since (for numerous reasons) so a few years ago she got remarried and she contacted me just over a year ago telling me she was pregnant. now obviously i wasn't just going to abandon my new half-sibling so i moved to the other side of the country (i was living near my dad at the time [btw i'm 22] and i had a good job offer in her city which pushed me to move there).

then i meet my mum and her new husband robert (i didn't go to their wedding as we weren't on speaking terms) and i find out that he has a set of twins from his previously relationship (emily and luke). i'm an only child so it's so strange to suddenly have like three siblings around you.

i meet emily and her family (emily and luke are 28 btw) who visit us from out of state. emily turns out to be nice enough, but her partner and their kids for some reason hate me (take note of this). i think it's because i'm an outsider to their family (mum and i didn't talk a lot and dad had full custody of me).

and then i meet luke. luke is nothing like his sister at all; doesn't have a serious relationship or any kids and he's a smooth-talker. (there are so many red flags in this story, but for some reason naive me decided to ignore them). i at this point don't have a boyfriend (i moved away from everyone to be with my mother) and luke doesn't have a partner either so we ended up being put together for everything (not just while emily was there, but without her there). i get to know him quite well - he's a investor and a workaholic.

i knew from day one that i liked him. he just had that air about him - everyone liked him, he would be the perfect boyfriend - and i couldn't resist. fast forward four months and mum has her baby that she names gabriella (for me. my name is isabella) and i start to feel like i'm accepted by my mum for the first time in my life.

mum, rob and gabbi head out of state to visit emily and leaves luke and i in charge of her house (mum and rob have a dog they couldn't take with them). so luke and i get to know each other really well - we're living together practically. about a week into the housesitting date, luke takes me out to dinner as a surprise. i drank way too much. we head home and as soon as we get in the door, before i know it, my hands are in his hair and we're making out. so we have unprotected sex - i don't know how many times that night (this was consensual by the way).

i wake up in the morning and we both know what happened last night. at first we don't talk about it - i was slightly embarrassed - and then out of the blue luke just says 'last night was nice'. i had no idea he liked me at this point so this was a surprise. and before i know it, i'm kissing him again, we're in bed together again and even now i still don't regret it - i thought he was perfect.

so my parents return and we're still 'together'. we're together in every other sense kissing, ****ing, everything in everything but name. i think at that point we'd both decided that we can't be together; our parents are together and that's just weird. but we both don't seem to care.

so we're still ****ing two months later. it would be a normal day at work, and when i'd open the door, luke would just be in my apartment, naked and waiting for me to return. (tmi i know - but it's necessary)

luke asks me to trial living with him (now i look back, like his personal sex toy) and i agree. and everything seems perfect. i've got this great 'boyfriend'/brother and my relationship with my parents is looking up. that's when the cracks start to emerge in our 'relationship'. luke gets frustrated about me not wanting to have sex that night.

that's when we hit the wall. at this point i've heard luke swear a million times, but never about me - i hate people calling me names likes that, i makes me seem worthless to them. and so i get up, out of the bed he's somehow coaxed me into and just decide to say 'i'm not doing it with you' (my best one-liner ever).

two days later he comes to my apartment with apologies, flowers and kisses. i wish i could say i refused him, but i thought he was perfect. i thought he was the perfect guy for me. so i end up in bed with him again (btw i'm on the pill at this point).

then he starts acting up again over the next few months, calling me 'slut' 'whore' etc. at first i thought it was just a kink, but then he started just saying 'good morning whore' and i was out. or so i thought i was out. more apologies and kisses later and i'm back in him bed and arms. (this is a year since i'd met him - we'd been 'friends with benefits' for about 8 months).

then we head away with emily to this lakeside estate with, mum, rob, gabi and emily's family. luke and i tell everyone that we're staying in the same house to save money, but really we're just together for a new place to ****.

we **** a lot while we're there - it feels a bit like it did when mum and rob originally went away new and exciting. we drink a LOT at emily's birthday party and when we get back to our house, luke wants sex, i want to sleep.

luke has a ****ing fit, saying that i'm not giving him a lot in our relationship and i'm screaming back as loudly 'i'm not a ****ing prostitute' 'i'm not sex on demand'. i win and we don't have sex that night, but i can't sleep with everything luke said floating around in my mind.

i don't know what drew me towards it, but for some reason i checked luke's phone (he's obsessed with keeping his phone and privacy. i'm the same so i didn't think it was that weird). and then i see this text on his phone from a guy called harry (i'd never heard of him ever before). 'hey luke. how's your week been with that slut you hired?' and at that point i'm so done with luke and his lies and everything. i wake him up to question him and he refuses to say anything even with the phone right in his face. i can smell the alcohol on his breath and he just reaches his hand out and slaps me. luke has never been violent towards me ever before and i'm gobsmacked more than anything.

so i storm out of the room and head over to the lakehouse next door which is where emily is staying. 'where's emily?' i ask her partner. 'that's not your problem isabella' he says back to me. at this point i'm just so done with everyone here that i start shouting. 'emily! are you okay?' and then her children come downstairs and deathstare me. then luke comes through the door and i start screaming because now i'm kind of scared of him now, and they just sit there, both her kids and her husband, unmoved by the fact i'm screaming at the top of my lungs.

so luke drags me into the car in silence and we drive back to his house in a single 8 hour trip. he doesn't say anything about the slap or anything in general and i'm just shocked at how i ended up with such *****y family.

and then he opens the door to his apartment and there's this arrangement of flowers on his couch and a card with my name on it in the centre. 'dear isabella, i love you more than anyone ever. i don't care what the people around us will think, but bella, please...' and i turn around because the card is unfinished and luke is holding a card out saying 'will you be my girlfriend' but his expression is unreadable and he doesn't look happy and everything seems so fake. everything that happened that weekend just climaxed in front of me and i can't give him the answer he wanted and the answer i wanted merely a day earlier. 'luke. i can't. not with everything that just happened.' and suddenly he's disappeared and all i can see is black (i'm not dead, otherwise i would be writing this - i fainted).

so luke, surprisingly respected my request of 'space' please and let me travel across the country to see my dad and get away from him, emily and my mum's simple happiness. (this happened about a month ago).

and then i'm late and i start vomiting (i tell my dad it's just food-poisoning) and so i take a test. and yes. i am pregnant with my step-brother's baby after having a relationship for almost a year, after he starts acting weird, after he gets the text message, after he hits me and yes, after he asks me to be his girlfriend.

so help me, please?
i don't want to tell my dad because he won't understand everything.
i don't want to tell luke because i can't bear to see him after what happened
i don't want to tell emily because she'll tell her partner and her partner refused to help me
i don't want to tell my mum because she won't understand and she'll judge me.

i haven't decided about an abortion and i don't know if i should leave luke. i don't know anything. please help me.
Original post by Anonymous
i know this isn't an everyday issue, but i just need some outside advice. if you're here to judge me, please move on.

so my parents divorced when i was 8, and my mum and i have had a strained relationship ever since (for numerous reasons) so a few years ago she got remarried and she contacted me just over a year ago telling me she was pregnant. now obviously i wasn't just going to abandon my new half-sibling so i moved to the other side of the country (i was living near my dad at the time [btw i'm 22] and i had a good job offer in her city which pushed me to move there).

then i meet my mum and her new husband robert (i didn't go to their wedding as we weren't on speaking terms) and i find out that he has a set of twins from his previously relationship (emily and luke). i'm an only child so it's so strange to suddenly have like three siblings around you.

i meet emily and her family (emily and luke are 28 btw) who visit us from out of state. emily turns out to be nice enough, but her partner and their kids for some reason hate me (take note of this). i think it's because i'm an outsider to their family (mum and i didn't talk a lot and dad had full custody of me).

and then i meet luke. luke is nothing like his sister at all; doesn't have a serious relationship or any kids and he's a smooth-talker. (there are so many red flags in this story, but for some reason naive me decided to ignore them). i at this point don't have a boyfriend (i moved away from everyone to be with my mother) and luke doesn't have a partner either so we ended up being put together for everything (not just while emily was there, but without her there). i get to know him quite well - he's a investor and a workaholic.

i knew from day one that i liked him. he just had that air about him - everyone liked him, he would be the perfect boyfriend - and i couldn't resist. fast forward four months and mum has her baby that she names gabriella (for me. my name is isabella) and i start to feel like i'm accepted by my mum for the first time in my life.

mum, rob and gabbi head out of state to visit emily and leaves luke and i in charge of her house (mum and rob have a dog they couldn't take with them). so luke and i get to know each other really well - we're living together practically. about a week into the housesitting date, luke takes me out to dinner as a surprise. i drank way too much. we head home and as soon as we get in the door, before i know it, my hands are in his hair and we're making out. so we have unprotected sex - i don't know how many times that night (this was consensual by the way).

i wake up in the morning and we both know what happened last night. at first we don't talk about it - i was slightly embarrassed - and then out of the blue luke just says 'last night was nice'. i had no idea he liked me at this point so this was a surprise. and before i know it, i'm kissing him again, we're in bed together again and even now i still don't regret it - i thought he was perfect.

so my parents return and we're still 'together'. we're together in every other sense kissing, ****ing, everything in everything but name. i think at that point we'd both decided that we can't be together; our parents are together and that's just weird. but we both don't seem to care.

so we're still ****ing two months later. it would be a normal day at work, and when i'd open the door, luke would just be in my apartment, naked and waiting for me to return. (tmi i know - but it's necessary)

luke asks me to trial living with him (now i look back, like his personal sex toy) and i agree. and everything seems perfect. i've got this great 'boyfriend'/brother and my relationship with my parents is looking up. that's when the cracks start to emerge in our 'relationship'. luke gets frustrated about me cumming too early and not wanting to have sex that night.

that's when we hit the wall. 'do it bella, you ****ing slut'. at this point i've heard luke swear a million times, but never about me - i hate people calling me names likes that, i makes me seem worthless to them. and so i get up, out of the bed he's somehow coaxed me into and just decide to say 'i'm not doing it with you' (my best one-liner ever).

two days later he comes to my apartment with apologies, flowers and kisses. i wish i could say i refused him, but i thought he was perfect. i thought he was the perfect guy for me. so i end up in bed with him again (btw i'm on the pill at this point).

then he starts acting up again over the next few months, calling me 'slut' 'whore' etc. at first i thought it was just a kink, but then he started just saying 'good morning whore' and i was out. or so i thought i was out. more apologies and kisses later and i'm back in him bed and arms. (this is a year since i'd met him - we'd been 'friends with benefits' for about 8 months).

then we head away with emily to this lakeside estate with, mum, rob, gabi and emily's family. luke and i tell everyone that we're staying in the same house to save money, but really we're just together for a new place to ****.

we **** a lot while we're there - it feels a bit like it did when mum and rob originally went away new and exciting. we drink a LOT at emily's birthday party and when we get back to our house, luke wants sex, i want to sleep.

luke has a ****ing fit, saying that i'm not giving him a lot in our relationship and i'm screaming back as loudly 'i'm not a ****ing prostitute' 'i'm not sex on demand'. i win and we don't have sex that night, but i can't sleep with everything luke said floating around in my mind.

i don't know what drew me towards it, but for some reason i checked luke's phone (he's obsessed with keeping his phone and privacy. i'm the same so i didn't think it was that weird). and then i see this text on his phone from a guy called harry (i'd never heard of him ever before). 'hey luke. how's your week been with that slut you hired?' and at that point i'm so done with luke and his lies and everything. i wake him up to question him and he refuses to say anything even with the phone right in his face. i can smell the alcohol on his breath and he just reaches his hand out and slaps me. luke has never been violent towards me ever before and i'm gobsmacked more than anything.

so i storm out of the room and head over to the lakehouse next door which is where emily is staying. 'where's emily?' i ask her partner. 'that's not your problem isabella' he says back to me. at this point i'm just so done with everyone here that i start shouting. 'emily! are you okay?' and then her children come downstairs and deathstare me. then luke comes through the door and i start screaming because now i'm kind of scared of him now, and they just sit there, both her kids and her husband, unmoved by the fact i'm screaming at the top of my lungs.

so luke drags me into the car in silence and we drive back to his house in a single 8 hour trip. he doesn't say anything about the slap or anything in general and i'm just shocked at how i ended up with such *****y family.

and then he opens the door to his apartment and there's this arrangement of flowers on his couch and a card with my name on it in the centre. 'dear isabella, i love you more than anyone ever. i don't care what the people around us will think, but bella, please...' and i turn around because the card is unfinished and luke is holding a card out saying 'will you be my girlfriend' but his expression is unreadable and he doesn't look happy and everything seems so fake. everything that happened that weekend just climaxed in front of me and i can't give him the answer he wanted and the answer i wanted merely a day earlier. 'luke. i can't. not with everything that just happened.' and suddenly he's disappeared and all i can see is black (i'm not dead, otherwise i would be writing this - i fainted).

so luke, surprisingly respected my request of 'space' please and let me travel across the country to see my dad and get away from him, emily and my mum's simple happiness. (this happened about a month ago).

and then i'm late and i start vomiting (i tell my dad it's just food-poisoning) and so i take a test. and yes. i am pregnant with my step-brother's baby after having a relationship for almost a year, after he starts acting weird, after he gets the text message, after he hits me and yes, after he asks me to be his girlfriend.

so help me, please?
i don't want to tell emily because she'll tell her partner and her partner refused to help me

i haven't decided about an abortion and i don't know if i should leave luke. i don't know anything. please help me.

Firstly I just want to say holy cow that was a rollercoaster. Secondly, there will be people here who will leave nasty comments. Just report them and the team will remove them. Focus on the ones giving you advice.

Now onto the important stuff.

Are you in a position to be able to care for a baby? Are you studying? Do you have a job? Are you financially stable? You need to consider if you can actually take care of a child. If not then abortion would be best and there is no shame in that.

I do think Luke needs to know because it is his child too. However the decision to have an abortion or keep it is entirely yours.

You can have an abortion without telling your family anything, they don't need to know. If they ask why you've been unwell just say you've had a bug.

If you decide to keep the child and you don't want to say Luke is the father then just say you had a relationship with a guy who is no longer in your life. You don't have to tell them it's Luke, although this would be difficult to maintain if Luke wants to be an involved father.

If you want to tell people you and Luke got together and you're pregnant then you will have to prepare for judgement and potentially abuse from your family. However focus on yourself and your baby.

I would say though do not get into a relationship with Luke because he was physically abusive to you and that is never okay and you shouldn't put up with that.

I hope I've helped somewhat and I hope it all works out for you.
(edited 5 years ago)
My credulity is aching from the strain of reading this.
Jesus Christ was that a story or what...

I think the sensible thing to do is to raise the child on your own.
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Firstly I just want to say holy cow that was a rollercoaster. Secondly, there will be people here who will leave nasty comments. Just report them and the team will remove them. Focus on the ones giving you advice.

Are you in a position to be able to care for a baby? Are you studying? Do you have a job? Are you financially stable? You need to consider if you can actually take care of a child. If not then abortion would be best and there is no shame in that.

I do think Luke needs to know because it is his child too. However the decision to have an abortion or keep it is entirely yours.

You can have an abortion without telling your family anything, they don't need to know. If they ask why you've been unwell just say you've had a bug.

If you decide to keep the child and you don't want to say Luke is the father then just say you had a relationship with a guy who is no longer in your life. You don't have to tell them it's Luke, although this would be difficult to maintain if Luke wants to be an involved father.

If you want to tell people you and Luke got together and you're pregnant then you will have to prepare for judgement and potentially abuse from your family. However focus on yourself and your baby.

I would say though do not get into a relationship with Luke because he was physically abusive to you and that is never okay and you shouldn't put up with that.

I agree with all of this, sound advice for you OP.
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine

thanks so much for this advice.

i'm currently financially stable with a good job, but i work quite close to luke. if i did keep my baby i'd have to move jobs to somewhere else and i'm not sure if i could find a good job while i'm pregnant (i'm two and a half months along btw).

i'm just scared to talk to luke because i know i'll fall for him again, and that isn't healthy for either me or the baby. but he deserves to know.

luke asks me to trial living with him (now i look back, like his personal sex toy) and i agree. and everything seems perfect. i've got this great 'boyfriend'/brother and my relationship with my parents is looking up. that's when the cracks start to emerge in our 'relationship'. luke gets frustrated about me not wanting to have sex that night.

that's when we hit the wall. at this point i've heard luke swear a million times, but never about me - i hate people calling me names likes that, i makes me seem worthless to them. and so i get up, out of the bed he's somehow coaxed me into and just decide to say 'i'm not doing it with you' (my best one-liner ever).

so help me, please?

have you considered talking to your dad about everything? he had full custody of you so he must know a lot about you and you must trust him.

maybe he could give you some more personal neutral advice?

so help me, please?

Right so it's probably best you break off the friends with benefits thing with your step-brother. That isn't healthy for your mental health. If your not willing to tell your dad,mum,emily or luke do you have a friend you can discuss it with.

The other question is can you look after a baby? Do you have the financial resources to do it and are you willing to take on that responsibility?
I smell Emmy...
(edited 5 years ago)
please, whatever you do, whether you keep the baby or not, don't get back into a relationship with him. you've seen the sort of s*** he gets up to, to get you back and also when you're in a relationship with him. he's controlling and manipulative and, even if you think he'll change or whatever, what kind of father will a man like that be to your child? it doesn't matter whether he loves your child or not, i doubt he'll change his ways because he doesn't think he's in the wrong in the first place to have manipulated and abused and controlled you like he did. i say this from experience because my dad's a bit like that; i know he loves us but, like your step-brother, he is controlling, emotionally and financially abusive, manipulative, and overall quite a pathetic person when i think about it, but he has pretty much ruined my childhood and continues to do so.

i say having an abortion or not is completely your business, and you aren't wrong no matter what you end up choosing, but please don't go back to him. both you and your child (if you have it) will end up suffering.
please, whatever you do, whether you keep the baby or not, don't get back into a relationship with him. you've seen the sort of s*** he gets up to, to get you back and also when you're in a relationship with him. he's controlling and manipulative and, even if you think he'll change or whatever, what kind of father will a man like that be to your child? it doesn't matter whether he loves your child or not, i doubt he'll change his ways because he doesn't think he's in the wrong in the first place to have manipulated and abused and controlled you like he did. i say this from experience because my dad's a bit like that; i know he loves us but, like your step-brother, he is controlling, emotionally and financially abusive, manipulative, and overall quite a pathetic person when i think about it, but he has pretty much ruined my childhood and continues to do so.

i say having an abortion or not is completely your business, and you aren't wrong no matter what you end up choosing, but please don't go back to him. both you and your child (if you have it) will end up suffering.

and honestly, what you said about him deserving to know about your pregnancy, you don't owe him anything at this point. people will say 'but he's the father!!!', yh well you're the one who's going to have to spend 9 months with a potentially unwanted pregnancy. creating that baby isn't a shared business; he gave one freaking cell, its your body that has to supply, grow, and birth that child if you decide to keep it. so please, don't allow what he wants to come before what you want when it comes when it comes to the final decision.

so help me, please?

Wow, this looks like a mess. i don't even know whether it is legal.

Anyway, I’d advise you to keep the baby. DON’T have an abortion. Contact the father and be open to him being in his kid’s life. You don't have to be with him, but he needs to be with his kid.

It is also important to inform your family i.e. parents. So they are prepared for any eventuality.

Good luck.

then he starts acting up again over the next few months, calling me 'slut' '*****' etc. at first i thought it was just a kink, but then he started just saying 'good morning *****' and i was out. or so i thought i was out. more apologies and kisses later and i'm back in him bed and arms. (this is a year since i'd met him - we'd been 'friends with benefits' for about 8 months).

so help me, please?

Tell the truth... Don't abort, you can adopt... But, let them know... If it happens negatively? Put your baby for adoption... Or marry your stepbrother, because you're not blood related

Latest

Trending

Trending