The Student Room Group

Hi! I am homeschooled

Poll

Do you think you would like to be homeschooled?

So, I am homeschooled and I live on Madagascar as a Christian missionary (it's true). I've noticed that most public-schoolers have totally wrong ideas about homeschooling so I decided to make this thread. If you have questions about homeschooling, here is the place to ask them!

Scroll to see replies

The UK term for ‘homeschooling’ is home education. There are a few home educated students. I have home educated a grandchild and one of my sons is home educating his children.
Reply 2
Original post by Vanniehof
So, I am homeschooled and I live on Madagascar as a Christian missionary (it's true). I've noticed that most public-schoolers have totally wrong ideas about homeschooling so I decided to make this thread. If you have questions about homeschooling, here is the place to ask them!

Were you homeschooled by parents or did you have a teacher come in?

If it was parents, how did they balance the roles of a fun parent /friend and teacher
Reply 3
Have you heard of Libertalia?
who has better spices: madagascar or zanzibar?
Original post by Randyyy
Were you homeschooled by parents or did you have a teacher come in?

If it was parents, how did they balance the roles of a fun parent /friend and teacher

My mom teaches me mostly. Well, during the lessons she is my mom and teacher at the same time. Sometimes were rollong on the floor laughing and then were really serious. Its not really a balancing act. She just acts normal all the time.
Original post by Seamus123
The UK term for ‘homeschooling’ is home education. There are a few home educated students. I have home educated a grandchild and one of my sons is home educating his children.

Oh, thanks! Im not really British or American, but come in contact with both, so I tend to get my terns mixed up...
Original post by quasa
who has better spices: madagascar or zanzibar?

Well, of course, since I live on Madagascar, I'm inlined to say Mada. But apart from some tourists buying spices, they're not really into it. Mada is more into rice. So that'll be Zanzibar.
Original post by UWS

Well, not the name, but I looked it up and I had heard about the pirates.

I did read a book about but they totally omitted the name... :mad:
me and my wife are just about to start to try for our first baby - and I must admit I am quite interested in homeschooling.

I have seen friends and family try it before, with mixed results. if the parents understand what they are doing, it seemed to go well. The kids ended up perfectly educated and adjusted, and you would have never suspected anything other than a decent education.. but for the kids whose parents thought it was an amazing idea! but had no clue how to actually approach an education, their children suffered. Currently my cousin is one of these, who sleeps all day because her parents have no idea about discipline, barely studies, has fallen so far behind other kids her age, and has become highly isolated.

So what do you think I should know - is my question. What advice would you give for someone who is considering it for their hopefully soon to be, children.
Can I homeschool myself at 16? Do I have to purchase all of these online courses, or can I completely go it alone. I plan to get a tutor to mark work and help when needed but some online courses out there are around £900 each, which I think is a little pricey, considering I can do it for free at school.
Do you believe in God? If so, why?
Also, do you study for qualifications such as gcses, a levels or IB?
Original post by fallen_acorns
me and my wife are just about to start to try for our first baby - and I must admit I am quite interested in homeschooling.

I have seen friends and family try it before, with mixed results. if the parents understand what they are doing, it seemed to go well. The kids ended up perfectly educated and adjusted, and you would have never suspected anything other than a decent education.. but for the kids whose parents thought it was an amazing idea! but had no clue how to actually approach an education, their children suffered. Currently my cousin is one of these, who sleeps all day because her parents have no idea about discipline, barely studies, has fallen so far behind other kids her age, and has become highly isolated.

So what do you think I should know - is my question. What advice would you give for someone who is considering it for their hopefully soon to be, children.

Thats a very hard question, but ill try to answer as best i can.

Two things:
Its a 24/7 job. Its very taxing and takes a lot of time and effort.
But: if the planning is too much, there are courses, suvh as Sonlight. These are courses for students with lots of fun and good books that plans each day for you. It even has a special four-day week schedule.

Thats all I can think of right now, but ill tell you if I can think of more!

Vanniehof
Original post by Year10Studentt
Can I homeschool myself at 16? Do I have to purchase all of these online courses, or can I completely go it alone. I plan to get a tutor to mark work and help when needed but some online courses out there are around £900 each, which I think is a little pricey, considering I can do it for free at school.

If you ate willing to take the effort, you can buy seperate books instead of take courses. But it still is rather pricey in some places. Khanacademy and bbc bitesize are good (and free) websites too.
Original post by Year10Studentt

If you are willing to take the effort, you can buy seperate books instead of take courses. But it still is rather pricey in some places. Khanacademy and BBC Bitesize are good (and free) websites too.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Do you believe in God? If so, why?

Yes, I do. I have always been told that but have not been 'protected' from atheist sources. I see no reason not to believe in God. Also, I find it very hard to believe that such a fine-tuned universe was NOT created.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Also, do you study for qualifications such as gcses, a levels or IB?

I am currently studying for GCSE's. Then I will study for A levels, abd a Dutch version of an A level for Dutch language.
If you ate willing to take the effort, you can buy seperate books instead of take courses. But it still is rather pricey in some places. Khanacademy and bbc bitesize are good (and free) websites too.

Do you think working directly from specifications, textbooks and tutors would be beneficial? I’m 100% willing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending