The Student Room Group

Career Help

It seems that everybody knows what they want to do for the rest of their lives, but I have no clue. I've always thought I wanted to be a doctor, or perhaps a lawmaker but I don't think it'll work out. Is there any way I can search up careers, see what I need to do and what the job will entail? Or someone just give me some career advice
Original post by Nagakami
It seems that everybody knows what they want to do for the rest of their lives, but I have no clue. I've always thought I wanted to be a doctor, or perhaps a lawmaker but I don't think it'll work out. Is there any way I can search up careers, see what I need to do and what the job will entail? Or someone just give me some career advice

You are not alone; a lot of people don't know what careers they want to do, even going into their 20s and 30s. I would suggest you get some research done first. This can be done by visiting sites like https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk or https://www.prospects.ac.uk as this will give you more info on what different careers are like and the path to get there. It may also help to get some work experience or shadowing as this can give you an insight into what working in a specific career would be like.

Depending on what stage you are at, it might be helpful to talk to a careers adviser or use your careers centre for help with planning.

there are some meh offerings right now with the prospects website being the least bad of them all. i'm working on a career guide atm which will have pretty much every high skilled job you can think of.. it's 100% going to be better than the dispersed, inaccurate stuff that's out there already though it'll take a few months to really corral everything together.

as for choosing a career.. you have to decide what kind of person you are. what motivates you? is it the game? if you're the type to enjoy chess or poker maybe a business career might be your thing. is it creating something? maybe being an engineer or creative.. is it helping others? maybe policy?

have a think about it, really consider who you are and what you're good at then try to find careers that map onto that. search up day in the life videos as well and try to speak with professionals about their jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Hoping I can help.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with our service, our website has over 800 job profiles that you can use to help you with your careers research. Each profile will tell you how much you can earn, what qualifications you will need, your day to day duties and responsibilities, what skills and experience employers look for and the environments you are likely to work in.

You can find all of our job profiles through the following link - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home

Not knowing what career path to take is actually a very normal place to be and trying to figure it out can be difficult. Why do you feel your original career ideas won't work out?

You may also find a website called SACU useful as there is a careers quiz on there which matches you up to jobs based on your interests - https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=2779

If you want to have a more in-depth careers chat you can speak with our advisers on 0800 100 900 (7 days a week 8am-10pm) I can do my best to help you through TSR but to do so I would need to know a lot more about your current situation for example are you at school, sixth form, uni etc?

If you would prefer to chat in private don't hesitate to send us a PM.

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending