Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship as part of my overall application to study an MPhil at Cambridge. For those unaware, the Gates Scholarship is for international students applying for postgrad courses at Cambridge, and it covers the full cost of attendance. I'm currently a 3rd year student at a UK uni, but I'm a US citizen.

I think my marks are good enough to stand a chance at getting on the course itself. However, I am worried about not having the "right" extracurricular experience to demonstrate my leadership abilities and commitment to helping others, which are key components of the scholarship. I do have experiences/volunteer work to demonstrate these qualities, but I don't know that they'll be good enough.

It seems like most of the Gates Scholars on the website have done something very accomplished, like working in a research lab or traveling to do volunteer work or setting up their own organisation or business.

What kind of experience and qualities do you really need to show on your application, to get a scholarship like this? Any tips from previous applications would be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you're just thinking of applying for this year, would love to hear from you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by claudiatea)
    I'm going to be applying for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship as part of my overall application to study an MPhil at Cambridge. For those unaware, the Gates Scholarship is for international students applying for postgrad courses at Cambridge, and it covers the full cost of attendance. I'm currently a 3rd year student at a UK uni, but I'm a US citizen.

I think my marks are good enough to stand a chance at getting on the course itself. However, I am worried about not having the "right" extracurricular experience to demonstrate my leadership abilities and commitment to helping others, which are key components of the scholarship. I do have experiences/volunteer work to demonstrate these qualities, but I don't know that they'll be good enough.

It seems like most of the Gates Scholars on the website have done something very accomplished, like working in a research lab or traveling to do volunteer work or setting up their own organisation or business.

What kind of experience and qualities do you really need to show on your application, to get a scholarship like this? Any tips from previous applications would be very much appreciated.
    As I wrote on TSR some weeks ago, I supported a friend in drafting out her application- the personal statement, in her application.
    The first time, it did not go through, the second time, it was highly recommended, the third time, it went through.
    She is in her 2nd year now at Cambridge. I'll look at the letters we drafted and see how I can itemise the important points for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cranfield University)
    As I wrote on TSR some weeks ago, I supported a friend in drafting out her application- the personal statement, in her application.
    The first time, it did not go through, the second time, it was highly recommended, the third time, it went through.
    She is in her 2nd year now at Cambridge. I'll look at the letters we drafted and see how I can itemise the important points for you.
    That would be great, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Cranfield University

Any advice?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    [QUOTE=Postgrad1021;80481372]Cranfield University

I am so sorry I am just getting back to you on this! It has been a very busy week for me.

Like I said, I helped a friend of mine to apply for the Gates Scholarship in 2015, 2016 and 2017. She was only successful at the the third attempt and is currently a PhD student at Cambridge.

The selection criteria of this scholarship are, (1) outstanding intellectual ability (2) leadership potential (3) a commitment to improving the lives of others and (4) a good fit between the applicant's qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate program eat Cambridge for which they are applying. That said, for the (1) and (4) points, I think this is covered by the applicant's academic profile that must show a continuum of academic success- in form of CGPA, prizes and awards, research outputs, etc. This candidate had all these yet still stumbled at her 1st and 2nd attempt. At the third and what was her successful attempt, we decided to closely focus on her personal statement and the interview feedback which she had that brought up concerns about her methodology. We drafted the personal statement together- I can remember doing a lot of research on this, and we made sure that these 4 points, especially point (2) and (3) reflected in her personal statement. it is not just sufficient saying, "I have a commitment to improving the lives of others"- you must show that this has been a part your life. Every small detail(s) matter(s).

It is important, as well, to show that your life and interaction has not just been unilateral, mono-dimensional kind of life- the need for cosmopolitan, international interactions must be evident in your life and academic work. We had a couple of intense mock interview sessions where helped her link her research aim to her objectives and methodology- and everything in between. It went well and she got the offer.

Remember to focus on this: "it is a research position that aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others". Your application and interview MUST show these.

I hope this helps.

-Cranfield TSR Rep.
    Oke (Phd Student @Cranfield University)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Postgrad1021)
    Cranfield University

I am so sorry I am just getting back to you on this! It has been a very busy week for me.

Like I said, I helped a friend of mine to apply for the Gates Scholarship in 2015, 2016 and 2017. She was only successful at the the third attempt and is currently a PhD student at Cambridge.

The selection criteria of this scholarship are, (1) outstanding intellectual ability (2) leadership potential (3) a commitment to improving the lives of others and (4) a good fit between the applicant's qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate program eat Cambridge for which they are applying. That said, for the (1) and (4) points, I think this is covered by the applicant's academic profile that must show a continuum of academic success- in form of CGPA, prizes and awards, research outputs, etc. This candidate had all these yet still stumbled at her 1st and 2nd attempt. At the third and what was her successful attempt, we decided to closely focus on her personal statement and the interview feedback which she had that brought up concerns about her methodology. We drafted the personal statement together- I can remember doing a lot of research on this, and we made sure that these 4 points, especially point (2) and (3) reflected in her personal statement. it is not just sufficient saying, "I have a commitment to improving the lives of others"- you must show that this has been a part your life. Every small detail(s) matter(s).

It is important, as well, to show that your life and interaction has not just been unilateral, mono-dimensional kind of life- the need for cosmopolitan, international interactions must be evident in your life and academic work. We had a couple of intense mock interview sessions where helped her link her research aim to her objectives and methodology- and everything in between. It went well and she got the offer.

Remember to focus on this: "it is a research position that aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others". Your application and interview MUST show these.

I hope this helps.

-Cranfield TSR Rep.
    Oke (Phd Student @Cranfield University)
    thank you

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.