The Student Room Group

Should a 16 year old be paying rent?

I'm 16 and just got accepted into an apprenticeship, my mother tells me if i don't give her 250 monthly "apparently" she can divert my pay into her account, is this fair?

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
Definitely not, as you're under 18 you're still probably in school. As long as you're in school studying, I would say it is highly unreasonable. It is your parents responsibility to make sure you have somewhere to live, so you should not be responsible or forced to pay rent.
Original post by Lyps3
I'm 16 and just got accepted into an apprenticeship, my mother tells me if i don't give her 250 monthly "apparently" she can divert my pay into her account, is this fair?

Regardless of fairness, I doubt she is able to actually do it. I think you can have an independent account at 16. So your parents wont be able to access the funds.
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800
Regardless of fairness, I doubt she is able to actually do it. I think you can have an independent account at 16. So your parents wont be able to access the funds.

I have an independent account but she threatens that she can call my employer and have it paid into her account.
Original post by Lyps3
I have an independent account but she threatens that she can call my employer and have it paid into her account.

Lol, that cannot happen. Even if she calls, your employer wont do anything about it.

Why would they do such? She can be anyone in the world. If your employer does so, you can sue because the contract is between you and them.

In short, do not worry about it. She cannot do much and your employer cannot redirect your wages to another account, other than the one clearly stated in your form to them.
Original post by Lyps3

How on earth would she be able to intercept your pay? She's trying to control you ridiculously.

It would be nice to give your parents a bit of money each month if you're still living with them although £250 is excessive.
Your mother is being manipulative and deceptive. If you're earning money then there's nothing wrong with expecting to contribute something to the household, but lying to say she can get her hands on your money is downright deceitful.
Reply 8
Original post by Lyps3

She's talking out of her arse
At 16 you should not be paying anywhere near that amount! How does she expect you to save up for your own house in the future? I would be careful mentioning how much you earn around your parents, they should be helping you save not taking your money.
Reply 10
She decided to bring you into this world, so she should be providing you with a home until 18 then fair enough make you pay. Don’t pay her that much, she can’t direct the money anywhere.
Reply 11
proper extortionist your mam.....
£250 is a lot! Maybe your parents want you to pay if you're working, or receiving income, but that pretty excessive, probably if you're in an apprentice earning £250 a week, your parents may think£250 per month is a good price
Original post by Lyps3

She can't do that, no. But she is probably reasonable to ask you to contribute a little towards the household expenses, since you're now earning. £250 a month is rather a lot on an apprentice's wage. Does she know how much you earn? If not, tell her and suggest a figure which you think is reasonable and which you're both happy with. Perhaps more like £30 a week, so £120 a month?
Reply 14
If you're still being forced to pay, just tell her that you're earning less then you actually are and then you won't have to pay the full £250 a month, although it would probably still take up quite a large sum of your wages, unless you want to lie excessively?
(edited 5 years ago)
i dont even know how your mum had the heart to ask that from you at this age. she should be encouraging you to save the little money you're making. not take on her financial responsibilities.

and theres no way she could divert your pay into her account. quite manipulative and a blatant lie to coerce you to paying her rent.

it's an extreme no from me
Honestly that's ridiculous, you're only 16 and on a basic apprentice salary. I only started paying my parents rent when I turned 18 (but was earning a decent salary).

Either way, your mum shouldn't be forcing you; that is really unfair. You should try talking to her ????
Reply 17
Original post by Reality Check
She can't do that, no. But she is probably reasonable to ask you to contribute a little towards the household expenses, since you're now earning. £250 a month is rather a lot on an apprentice's wage. Does she know how much you earn? If not, tell her and suggest a figure which you think is reasonable and which you're both happy with. Perhaps more like £30 a week, so £120 a month?

He shouldn't even be paying £120 a month at 16

His mother should be absolutely ashamed @ demanding all this money from a 16 year old
(edited 5 years ago)
Is your mum really struggling? Maybe she's behaving erratically because she's desperate for money. Try to talk to her about it without arguing. You shouldn't be paying her at 16 though.
Ask here what the £250 is for and tell her that you won't be giving her money unless she tells you what it is for. She will either do 1 of 3 Things: 1. Tell you the truth 2. Lie and say it is something extremely serious to gult you into giving her money 3. Get really defensive and angry and either kick you out of the house or try to call the bank manager and force you into transferring the money. In Any of these cases, make sure you are a few feet away from your mum, and be ready to either run or hide.

Quick Reply