The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge Psychology PhD

I recently graduated from the York with a integrated masters in Psychology (with a starred first) and I am now employed full-time as a research technician in another Russel Group uni. I applied to Cardiff for a PhD a few months ago and I was rejected. Although, this was before I had received my final degree or project results and before I had had much research experience. I would like to apply to Cambridge with the MRC CBU to research memory however I am unsure if I will even be considered as I only got 75 in my degree. I will have had 12 months working as a research technician as well as my masters when I apply but I know that places are extremely competitive. Do I stand any chance or should I focus on applying to other universities?
Original post by emagine18
I recently graduated from the York with a integrated masters in Psychology (with a starred first) and I am now employed full-time as a research technician in another Russel Group uni. I applied to Cardiff for a PhD a few months ago and I was rejected. Although, this was before I had received my final degree or project results and before I had had much research experience. I would like to apply to Cambridge with the MRC CBU to research memory however I am unsure if I will even be considered as I only got 75 in my degree. I will have had 12 months working as a research technician as well as my masters when I apply but I know that places are extremely competitive. Do I stand any chance or should I focus on applying to other universities?

Sounds perfectly competitive to me, what does the website suggest the entry expectations are? What have you got to lose by applying?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
You have a 1st and a reasonably amount of research experience, there's little to suggest you wouldn't be at least considered. You actually seem to have a pretty decent background honestly.

Bear in mind it's entirely possibly the Cardiff one rejected you just because they didn't think you'd fit that particular PhD project (or maybe if you weren't applying for a specific project/studentships, they didn't think you had a clear enough idea of a PhD project to do once you were accepted). That doesn't necessarily mean Cambridge will accept you, but it might be worth making sure you have an idea of what you want to do in the PhD project-wise.

Quick Reply

Latest