Am I being Scammed by a Modeling Company?

Watch
username4267460
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been contacted by a Modeling Company called Whitebox Studieos, and they have arranged for me to have a photoshoot with them next Sunday. I have already payed the £50 deposit, however nothing has gone through on my account, and I am worried that I will be charged the £150 fine for the hiring of the professional style and hair artists if I do not show up.
I am concerned on how to proceed, as the seem legit, but I them found out about the scams and Now I'm a bit concerned that I have been scammed. If there is anyone who can offer adice or experience I would be very grateful, thank you.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seeming "legit" is never a good reason alone. Do some background checks: website, phone, email - check you're actually speaking to the right people and that they are indeed a real company.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
Seeming "legit" is never a good reason alone. Do some background checks: website, phone, email - check you're actually speaking to the right people and that they are indeed a real company.
A really quick internet search would reveal a lot of suspicious customer reviews and nothing to prove their legitimacy like a website.
username4267460
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
A really quick internet search would reveal a lot of suspicious customer reviews and nothing to prove their legitimacy like a website.
I did do a lot of research afterward and there are many accounts of people being scammed by this company, and when I look up the address it takes me to an abandoned warehouse type place. So im asking people for advice really. I have found many people claiming to have been scammed to I'm unsure of what to do really. Cause their website and the confirmation emails ect and texts have all seemed authentic.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you have to ask the question, the answer is probably yes.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kahaleesi)
I did do a lot of research afterward and there are many accounts of people being scammed by this company, and when I look up the address it takes me to an abandoned warehouse type place. So im asking people for advice really. I have found many people claiming to have been scammed to I'm unsure of what to do really. Cause their website and the confirmation emails ect and texts have all seemed authentic.
Ah well if you paid with a debit/credit card you can tell your bank it was a scam and they may reverse the transaction for you.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have been contacted by a Modeling Company called Whitebox Studieos, and they have arranged for me to have a photoshoot with them next Sunday. I have already payed the £50 deposit, however nothing has gone through on my account, and I am worried that I will be charged the £150 fine for the hiring of the professional style and hair artists if I do not show up.
I am concerned on how to proceed, as the seem legit, but I them found out about the scams and Now I'm a bit concerned that I have been scammed. If there is anyone who can offer adice or experience I would be very grateful, thank you.
It's a scam. 100%. Genuine modelling agencies don't charge you for anything, not even for photos. This excuse for a company will charge you, give you photos, and that's it. Forget about getting any actual work through them. And they can't charge you ****, they are making empty threats. Just block them, if they keep pestering you, threaten them with a solicitor, and say that you will publish a Google review if they don't stop. It will work.
username4267460
Rep:
?
Awesome thanks for the advise Ill remember that. I have received a receipt with the £50 depsit on it however nothing has been taken out of my account and ive checked every couple of hours. And my Bank has not notified me of any susspicious activity so I think I in the clear. Did this happen with anyone else ? Im going to be more careful in future. Ahh I feel so incrediably stupid and violated to some exptent both emotionally and mentally for falling for this stupid scam.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Awesome thanks for the advise Ill remember that. I have received a receipt with the £50 depsit on it however nothing has been taken out of my account and ive checked every couple of hours. And my Bank has not notified me of any susspicious activity so I think I in the clear. Did this happen with anyone else ? Im going to be more careful in future. Ahh I feel so incrediably stupid and violated to some exptent both emotionally and mentally for falling for this stupid scam.
Yes, there are tons of people in your situation. Different companies, same methods.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...025784&page=13
Just remember this - reputable modelling agencies don't need 'portfolio professional photos' - they just need simple front+side photos of you with no make up on, they can even be taken with your phone. They will never ask you for any money. Models1 is a good example of a genuine agency.
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If something seems too good to be true, it probably is, especially if they ask for money upfront.
username4267460
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ciel.)
Yes, there are tons of people in your situation. Different companies, same methods.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...025784&page=13
Just remember this - reputable modelling agencies don't need 'portfolio professional photos' - they just need simple front+side photos of you with no make up on, they can even be taken with your phone. They will never ask you for any money. Models1 is a good example of a genuine agency.
Since I gave them my personal details such as my email, mobile number, home address and card details in the first place do you think there's the potential risk of identity theft ? If so then how do I resolve it ? Please any advise would be great as I'm so concerned I'm actually getting physically si k about the situation and I'm unsure of what to do. Please help thanks.
SherlockMetson
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would contact your bank immediately and say you have been a victim of fraud. They will then take appropriate measures. If they think you have behaved negligently they wont refund any money lost but should be able to prevent further losses. (If you are unhappy with their response you can contact financial ombudsman). Don't beat yourself up, it is very easy to be taken in by professional fraudsters and at least you wont make the same mistake again. Speak to the bank straight away (phone number on back of card or website) then put the business behind you. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how we learn. ☺
username4267460
Rep:
?
(Original post by SherlockMetson)
I would contact your bank immediately and say you have been a victim of fraud. They will then take appropriate measures. If they think you have behaved negligently they wont refund any money lost but should be able to prevent further losses. (If you are unhappy with their response you can contact financial ombudsman). Don't beat yourself up, it is very easy to be taken in by professional fraudsters and at least you wont make the same mistake again. Speak to the bank straight away (phone number on back of card or website) then put the business behind you. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how we learn. ☺
Thank you very much for your encouraging words. I will phone the bank in the morning and resolve the matter. All the nest and thanks again you don't know how much your kind words mean to me ☺
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Since I gave them my personal details such as my email, mobile number, home address and card details in the first place do you think there's the potential risk of identity theft ? If so then how do I resolve it ? Please any advise would be great as I'm so concerned I'm actually getting physically si k about the situation and I'm unsure of what to do. Please help thanks.
It's very unlikely. Although very nasty - their practices are usually borderline legal - e.g. the contract you sign usually tells you that they are not an actual agency, and that you are paying just for photos, most people don't read contracts, though, they just sign them. I doubt they would go as far as to attempt any directly criminal acts.
username4267460
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ciel.)
It's very unlikely. Although very nasty - their practices are usually borderline legal - e.g. the contract you sign usually tells you that they are not an actual agency, and that you are paying just for photos, most people don't read contracts, though, they just sign them. I doubt they would go as far as to attempt any directly criminal acts.
Well I haven't actually signed any of contract with them so I'm not concerned about that. I'm also not going to attend the photo shoot and i managed to phone my bank and they explained that the security team made a note about the incident. The £50 is pending but because I have insufficient funds in my account it is unable to go through. I'm planning on going In on Monday day to cancel my card as the bank closed early today so I am unable to resolve it. But again thank you for the encouraging words of wisdom I will be considerably more careful in the future.
Anonymoususer2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know much about the modeling agency's but the one agency I do know about through other people being booked on film work that I did for Warner brothers Do take an upfront fee of I think £250 and there not a scam. There called ugly models and they been around for a long time.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
did you know it's spelt modelling? explains everything else doesn't it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.5%
I'm not sure (7)
3.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (70)
35%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.5%
I'm not a current university student (87)
43.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed