When does the jump of A-level Maths kick in?

Watch
username4167452
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So far I've done surds, indices, inequalities, quadratics and nearly finished with Year 1 trigonometry and it's been too easy. I was wondering whether the jump is more felt with Year 1 of maths or Year 2 Maths
RobEaster
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i've just started a level maths+further maths and i feel that the 9-1 gcses bridged the gap between gcse and a level maths making it a much smoother transition, my teachers have said how they feel we have much more experience with the early a level topics so the first half term will mainly be recap and just slightly harder than what we've done so far
username4167452
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobEaster)
i've just started a level maths+further maths and i feel that the 9-1 gcses bridged the gap between gcse and a level maths making it a much smoother transition, my teachers have said how they feel we have much more experience with the early a level topics so the first half term will mainly be recap and just slightly harder than what we've done so far
Doing double maths as well . I totally agree, the only thing new to me so far was the trignometric equations and solving them with CAST diagrams and that wasn't too bad
monkeyboy18000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The jump tends to be over exaggerated. Of course the content gets harder over time, but it’s not like you’ll get something and then switch to something you completely don’t get. As long as you understand what’s being taught in lessons, then you’ll be fine.
username4167452
Rep:
?
(Original post by monkeyboy18000)
The jump tends to be over exaggerated. Of course the content gets harder over time, but it’s not like you’ll get something and then switch to something you completely don’t get. As long as you understand what’s being taught in lessons, then you’ll be fine.
That's how it's been so far, thanks for the insight!
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The jump starts when you start A2 stats and mechanics. Pure gets slightly harder with trigonometry for some people and further integration so I guess if you want to do that stuff, you will have to wait for a while since that stuff is old spec C3/C4
username4167452
Rep:
?
(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
The jump starts when you start A2 stats and mechanics. Pure gets slightly harder with trigonometry for some people and further integration so I guess if you want to do that stuff, you will have to wait for a while since that stuff is old spec C3/C4
I've started some C3 Trig like sec, cosec, cot etc and trig equations with them and I thought they were alright. But stats looks so wordy and difficult ;/
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Physikoi)
I've started some C3 Trig like sec, cosec, cot etc and trig equations with them and I thought they were alright. But stats looks so wordy and difficult ;/
I don't think that is C3 trig (might be but I learnt that before so dunno) but what I am on about are the identities and their derivations. Some exam boards can ask you to derive the double angle or the half angle formula etc.

Yes I agree stats is wordy but it isn't hard if you understand what is happening. Obviously I didn't try and understand it so I messed up my stats exam but if you can learn the theory then you should be fine. Besides, it's just picking the information from the information they give you and you will be told how to do it by your teacher so don't worry about it.
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A2 integration and differentiation will be a step up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.74%
I'm not sure (40)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (278)
30.35%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.62%
I'm not a current university student (439)
47.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed