BC615 – Driving Re-Test Bill 2013 (CLASSIC BILL)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is a classic bill – it is a bill that was submitted originally in 2013, and has been posted again to encourage more debate. There will be the usual six days to debate it.

BC615 – Driving Re-Test Bill 2013, originally submitted by the TSR Government (Con/Lib/UKIP)

Driving Re-test Act 2013

An Act requiring multiple testing of drivers, to ensure safety standards are maintained.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Re-test
1.1 Every 10 years (or 5 years for those aged 65 and above) following the issuing of their current Driving Licence, drivers must undergo a re-test.
1.2 Driving re-tests can be applied for at any point during the aforementioned period and,
1.3 There is no limit to the amount of times a re-test may be attempted per year (except in the case of 1.7),
1.4 For the purposes of this Act, 'Driving re-test' refers to the test that is to be taken only by people currently holding a driving license and shall:

(a) consist of the practical component from the standard Driving Test, with an additional section on Motorway driving;
(b) last around 30 minutes in duration;
(c) cost £30 for weekdays, and £40 for evening, weekend and bank holidays;
(d) follow the regulations as set out for the original Driving test as seen on gov.uk's information about the Driving Standards Agency's (DSA's) Driving test website.https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving...-cars/overview

1.5 Upon passing a re-test, a 10 year (or 5 year for those aged 65 and above) Driving License will be issued.
1.6 Those who have not yet passed their original driving test must continue to take the standard theory and practical Driving Tests,
1.7 If failure of the re-test is due to a 'dangerous fault' (which involves actual danger to the examined, the examiner, the public or property), a further re-test may only be applied for after attending a Compulsory Basic Training course run by DSA approved instructors.
1.8 Retests for drivers who obtained their original licence prior to commencement of this Act begin six months following what would have been deadline for their next retest were this Act to have commenced prior to the issuing of their original licence.

2. Enforcement and Punishment

2.1 The enforcement of this Act is the responsibility of the Department for Transport;
2.2 The driver's license will be temporarily revoked if:

(a) A re-test is failed;
(b) A re-test is not passed during the 10 or 5 year period as specified in 1.1.

3. Commencement, short title and extent

3.1 This Act may be cited as the Driving Re-test Act 2013
3.2 This bill shall extend to England; and
3.3 Comes into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Notes:
Spoiler:
Show
There are hundreds of people who may have never taken a stringent driving test, or more likely passed over 40 years ago and have slipped into very bad driving habits. Which can happen after just 1 year of driving without instruction.This bill is designed to keep drivers regularly aware of the highway code and good driving practice, ensuring safer drivers and fewer road incidents. A current driving test is £62, but as this is a shortened version, a smaller fee is expected and so £30 seems appropriate, without severely denting personal finances over a 5 year period.

Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought you just had to reapply for licence not do another test????
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Student1191)
I thought you just had to reapply for licence not do another test????
This is a model house of commons in which we propose ideas.

As Prime Minister at the time i cannot tell you all who authored this (Lipvig or Moleman i believe) however my support for this bill remains.

The only amendment i would make now is to remove the allowance of infinite retakes and define a limit.
Student1191
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This is a model house of commons in which we propose ideas.

As Prime Minister at the time i cannot tell you all who authored this (Lipvig or Moleman i believe) however my support for this bill remains.

The only amendment i would make now is to remove the allowance of infinite retakes and define a limit.
Oh I thought the OP was the current law
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. Here we take the approach that RL is the reality and our bills propose to change that.

We have model parties and mp's too. I am a Tory for example.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I totally agree with this bill. My grandfather told me the other day that he thought that if he had to take the test he would fail, which begged the question of why he is allowed to drive on our roads.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am a Tory for example.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there, I see Rakas has already introduced himself. I'm a current member of the Libertarian Party.

If you're interested in getting involved here I recommend you check out this thread.
username2337287
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is pertinent that the elderly individuals are re-tested, evaluating their driving competence and ensuring public safety. Inevitably, as an individual ages, their left hemisphere begins to deteriorate, leading to a deficit to abstract and cognitive thinking, including an impairment to visual representation- Adding emphasis to the concern that adequate eyesight examinations must be carried out.
Yousif191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I totally agree with this bill. My grandfather told me the other day that he thought that if he had to take the test he would fail, which begged the question of why he is allowed to drive on our roads.
I would fail too, because the way most drive after passing the test is not the way you have to in the test. I do not always have my hands at the 10:2 position, or drive at 25mph on roads. This is the reality...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
My step father got sent on a driving course for speeding and failed the course. He was then permitted to drive.
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, I fully support older drivers should be retested when they reach 65.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Yousif191)
I would fail too, because the way most drive after passing the test is not the way you have to in the test. I do not always have my hands at the 10:2 position, or drive at 25mph on roads. This is the reality...
What the test does is prove you can be are competent driver. I.e you have road awareness, are a defensive driver, can do manoeuvres safely, etc.

My step father got sent on a driving course for speeding and failed the course. He was then permitted to drive.
Madness.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Debate on this classic bill has concluded.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.24%
No - I have already returned home (28)
10.89%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
21.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.89%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed