What even is active transport Watch

Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I don't get active transport I get it goes against the concentration gradient an der goes requires oxygen from respiration but I don't understand how it works in the body could someone help me by explaining it. I've check YouTube and that science guy that wears a suit but I'm stuck
Raen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(I'm bad at explaining, sorry)

So the definition of active transport is: the process by which dissolved molecules molecules move across a cell membrane from an area of low concentration to high concentration

As it's higher -> lower concentration the molecules are going against the concentration gradient. In the cell, there's the semi-permeable cell membrane separating the inside of the cell and outside, so in the case of active transport there's more molecules inside the cell than there is outside the cell on the other side of the membrane. Quite often a cell will need something that it must actively transport to sustain life, but it's against the concentration gradient so active transport uses energy. For example, in plants root hair cells use active transport. The root hair cell takes mineral ions (like nitrates) up from the soil. This is vital so that the plants get the ions they need to survive from the soil, even though the soil has a lower concentration of ions than the plant. To do this the plant uses energy, the energy is produced during cellular respiration (Glucose is broken down in the presence of oxygen to produce carbon dioxide, water and energy) and the same story is true in the body, where active transport is used during digestion when the glucose is moved using active transport into the villi.
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Raen)
(I'm bad at explaining, sorry)

So the definition of active transport is: the process by which dissolved molecules molecules move across a cell membrane from an area of low concentration to high concentration

As it's higher -> lower concentration the molecules are going against the concentration gradient. In the cell, there's the semi-permeable cell membrane separating the inside of the cell and outside, so in the case of active transport there's more molecules inside the cell than there is outside the cell on the other side of the membrane. Quite often a cell will need something that it must actively transport to sustain life, but it's against the concentration gradient so active transport uses energy. For example, in plants root hair cells use active transport. The root hair cell takes mineral ions (like nitrates) up from the soil. This is vital so that the plants get the ions they need to survive from the soil, even though the soil has a lower concentration of ions than the plant. To do this the plant uses energy, the energy is produced during cellular respiration (Glucose is broken down in the presence of oxygen to produce carbon dioxide, water and energy) and the same story is true in the body, where active transport is used during digestion when the glucose is moved using active transport into the villi.
Thank you so much, I should be a teacher for real lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise