The Student Room Group

Gap year concerns

Ok I’m a bit prone to overthinking everything. But I can’t help but think that if I take a gap year (and I doubt I will take a 3 year degree and be out by 22, I’ll probably do a placement year or masters/ PGCE too) I will probably be about 24 by the time I finish uni. It worries me that after working on my career and earning enough money to afford a house/ children I will be too old to have kids. Maybe I am catastrophising the situation but I keep thinking what if I take this gap year (the main reason is because I’m not 100% sure on what course to do) and it literally ruins my main life goal of having a family. Do you think if I left uni at 24, it gives me enough time to work on my career to be ready to have kids in my early 30s?
Original post by A*my
Ok I’m a bit prone to overthinking everything. But I can’t help but think that if I take a gap year (and I doubt I will take a 3 year degree and be out by 22, I’ll probably do a placement year or masters/ PGCE too) I will probably be about 24 by the time I finish uni. It worries me that after working on my career and earning enough money to afford a house/ children I will be too old to have kids. Maybe I am catastrophising the situation but I keep thinking what if I take this gap year (the main reason is because I’m not 100% sure on what course to do) and it literally ruins my main life goal of having a family. Do you think if I left uni at 24, it gives me enough time to work on my career to be ready to have kids in my early 30s?

Plenty of time you are way overthinking things and life doesnt always go to plan. have you already found the man who will be the father of your children? far worse to not take a gap then choose the wrong degree and be unable to change. To be fair your worries over a year out are way out of proportion.

Quick Reply

Latest