Can I teach myself GCSE maths in one week? Watch

GlitterAttack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
There’s over 100 topics. What shall I use? I want to start past papers as soon as possible.
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
why one week? you probably know more maths than you realise.
GlitterAttack
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
why one week? you probably know more maths than you realise.
Because my exams are in November. I’ve forgotten many.
Carolina K.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1 week isn't enough. Get on with it right now cuz it's gonna be stressful.
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GlitterAttack)
Because my exams are in November. I’ve forgotten many.
you've got more than a week then... print off your spec, topic papers, past papers, get workbooks and revision guides and work by the spec.
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
no chance. get your head on the desk now
SphericalCows
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As said before you got longer than 2 months. If you don't get an A* you can resit in summer too.
As long as you are fine with basic algebra learn the hardest stuff such as solving quadratics. Then do a lot of pass papers. Past papers will help you the most. . On a higher tier paper you usually only need about 60% for an A*.

I used the CGP GCSE books to learn and do practice questions. Then around 3 weeks before my exams I started doing past papers. Even do the old spec as they help and usually questions are always in the same style.
GlitterAttack
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
you've got more than a week then... print off your spec, topic papers, past papers, get workbooks and revision guides and work by the spec.
The spec is horrible. It doesn’t include all the topics. It’s very vague.
stqrlord
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
All I did to revise GCSE maths was flick through the CGP revision guide before the exam and I somehow got a 9 despite being predicted a 6 so it’s definitely possible. Best thing to do is probably do lots of exam practice as opposed to actual studying as the exams are largely based on application in maths as opposed to memory and then for the questions you fully can’t answer go and check in a revision guide how to do them and then just go back to them once you understand it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No. Save yourself the stress by not bothering to actually attempt something as ludicrous and asinine as that.
Kev lad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There’s over 100 topics. What shall I use? I want to start past papers as soon as possible.
Probs I didn’t revise n got a 5
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The spec is horrible. It doesn’t include all the topics. It’s very vague.
use revision guides then....
Hyper nova
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by stqrlord)
All I did to revise GCSE maths was flick through the CGP revision guide before the exam and I somehow got a 9 despite being predicted a 6 so it’s definitely possible. Best thing to do is probably do lots of exam practice as opposed to actual studying as the exams are largely based on application in maths as opposed to memory and then for the questions you fully can’t answer go and check in a revision guide how to do them and then just go back to them once you understand it.
Bro your advise is ****ing awful. You are someone with some ability for maths. This guy probably got a 3 or less so he has to retake it so winging it really isn't going to cut it at all. My advise is to get a maths tutor or go after school to a teacher to get help. Make sure you know all the topics and once you understand all of the content, focus on exam papers so you get a grasp of exam technique
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why do you need to learn maths in 1 week if your exams are in November? You should probably start revision in October if you want to learn it all and get good at it.
stqrlord
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Hyper nova)
Bro your advise is ****ing awful. You are someone with some ability for maths. This guy probably got a 3 or less so he has to retake it so winging it really isn't going to cut it at all. My advise is to get a maths tutor or go after school to a teacher to get help. Make sure you know all the topics and once you understand all of the content, focus on exam papers so you get a grasp of exam technique
you’ve got to understand that people learn differently though. I shared a way that worked very well for me, it may not work for you or the person who made this post but this is what worked best for me. For the record, my maths ability isn’t great: I was getting borderline 4s all throughout mocks because I tried to do what everyone else told me to do in terms of revision but as I found out long term revision doesn’t work for me whereas cramming does. No, my advice isn’t “****ing awful”, it just may not work for you and may or may not work for the person asking for advice but it’s up to that person to decide if it’ll work for them. Everyone learns differently and it’s important to look into as many options as possible to find what works for you, even if it seems a bit unconventional.
K Adams
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Depends on what you know already. If you're starting from scratch then don't. If you already have some knowledge, you could try but you would have to be prepared to work hard. There is actually a book called GCSE in a Week for maths which I think is from Letts (you can get it from WHSmith etc) that breaks the whole course down into 7 parts with around 2 hours of study a day. However, this is intended for revision and consolidation, not for first learning of the course. But if your exam's in November, space it out a bit as it won't go in all at once anyway
Your Local Dog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie
Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie
Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie
Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by stqrlord)
All I did to revise GCSE maths was flick through the CGP revision guide before the exam and I somehow got a 9 despite being predicted a 6 so it’s definitely possible.
That both impresses and intrigues. May I ask, what were your raw marks in the end? It's unusual for something like that to occur, but not impossible.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 months ago
GlitterAttack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Your Local Dog)
Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie
Maths genie maths genie maths genie maths genie
It goes through everything that is included in the spec, right?
GlitterAttack
Rep:
?
Why is my post being reviewed??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.39%
No (71)
98.61%

Watched Threads