The Student Room Group

How big are my chances of getting accepted into Cambridge?

I'm new to student room so I don't really have a clue of what I'm doing.

I've just finished my A-levels and got A* in Geography, A* in History, A in Psychology and A in German.

However, my GCSEs are not up to Oxbridge standard. I got 2 A's and 6 B's. But, I moved to England in 2015 and joined the end of year 9 then decided to move up a year so overall did my GCSEs in a year while still being 14 during my exams.
My tutor has said that he is going to make sure to mention the circumstances in the tutor reference.

But, does anyone actually know if they care about GCSEs that much or if they take special circumstances into consideration? Any similar experiences?
Reply 1
A Levels, that's interesting
And Congratulations to your remarkable results
There are no minimum GCSE requirements and they're looked at in context. Besides, your A-level grades are much more important and you have great grades - you absolutely have a shot!

What are you wanting to apply for?
Reply 3
Original post by Ylva
I'm new to student room so I don't really have a clue of what I'm doing.

I've just finished my A-levels and got A* in Geography, A* in History, A in Psychology and A in German.

However, my GCSEs are not up to Oxbridge standard. I got 2 A's and 6 B's. But, I moved to England in 2015 and joined the end of year 9 then decided to move up a year so overall did my GCSEs in a year while still being 14 during my exams.
My tutor has said that he is going to make sure to mention the circumstances in the tutor reference.

But, does anyone actually know if they care about GCSEs that much or if they take special circumstances into consideration? Any similar experiences?

Your most recent academic results are much more important than your GCSEs and are very good. As Paralove also asked, which course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Paralove
There are no minimum GCSE requirements and they're looked at in context. Besides, your A-level grades are much more important and you have great grades - you absolutely have a shot!

What are you wanting to apply for?

Geography. Honestly, that's quite reassuring so thank you:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Your most recent academic results are much more important than your GCSEs and are very good. As Paralove also asked, which course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geography I think :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ylva
Geography I think :smile:

Then you are exceeding their typical requirements (A*AA) and you'll be a competitive candidate at this stage. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending