Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently a second year adult nursing student and studying for the GAMSAT also, so I can sit it in September 2019 in my final year. Is there anyone on here who has completed a nursing degree before and successfully got into GEM?
    Any help would be much appreciated, starting to doubt whether it's achievable for me or not x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    (Original post by blockocheese)
    Hello, I am currently a second year adult nursing student and studying for the GAMSAT also, so I can sit it in September 2019 in my final year. Is there anyone on here who has completed a nursing degree before and successfully got into GEM?
    Any help would be much appreciated, starting to doubt whether it's achievable for me or not x
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5476034 for a similar Q asked about 2 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    There's at least 4 nurses in my year at Warwick, plus my GF starts here next week too and she has been a nurse for 8yrs. So it's absolutely achievable, best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    There's at least 4 nurses in my year at Warwick, plus my GF starts here next week too and she has been a nurse for 8yrs. So it's absolutely achievable, best of luck!
    Thankyou! It's just I'm well aware that a lot of people will have life sciences degrees and a lot of GEM students will have biomed. Was worried they would look unfavorably upon nursing degrees!

ReputationRep:
    If I go to university to study nursing can I then go on to study medicine to become a doctor? (Nurse-doctor)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotland200)
    If I go to university to study nursing can I then go on to study medicine to become a doctor? (Nurse-doctor)
    If you really wanted to, but it’s a bit long winded if medicine is your end goal. Nursing isn’t an easy course, there’s are people who study it then decide they’d like to try and move into medicine, but for the vast majority of people who study nursing, becoming a registered nurse is their goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotland200)
    Although I am using my degree to get into GEM, I do not recommend using nursing to get into medicine! Getting into undergraduate medicine as a school leaver is so much better or doing a life science degree, would leave you with more options, in regards to medical schools you can apply for! Nursing should not be used as a way into medicine, because nursing students are assessed the same as any other degree applying to medicine. I may sound like a hypocrite, but nursing is the degree I'm doing now and that just so happens I want to apply for GEM, however, I didn't set out to do nursing and use it in this way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 23, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.