MedicPerson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi

In my personal statement, I had talked about how my brother had fell into a coma. However I haven't mentioned the reason - he overdosed on a cocktail of drugs. I wish to not mention it because the interviewers may make a judgement on me + my brother may not feel comfortable me sharing this info. If I do get an interview, will i be asked why he fell into a coma? And if I am, what should I do?
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
interviewers should be smarter than to push into what could be a sensitive topic. if they ask I would be honest. It takes serious nerve to be blunt about something that serious and I think that sort of honesty might even help your appearance.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MedicPerson)
... If I do get an interview, will i be asked why he fell into a coma? And if I am, what should I do?
No, interviewers should not be judging you (morally) in their interviews. They should judge you on your thinking process and your suitability to do medicine.

Furthermore a lot of med school interviews are separate from personal statement vetting, meaning that the interviewers will not actually get to read your PS.

FInally, even if you are asked about it, you can talk about what you have learnt from your brother's OD and how it inspired you to help other people coping with drug addiction and managing overdose etc. etc.
MedicPerson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
interviewers should be smarter than to push into what could be a sensitive topic. if they ask I would be honest. It takes serious nerve to be blunt about something that serious and I think that sort of honesty might even help your appearance.
Sorry if this comes off as silly. But when you say "be honest", do you mean I should be honest on my reluctancy or to be honest about my brother's overdose? Will it put me at any disadvantage because they may think I will follow in his footsteps ( Which I will certainly not as it has had a devestating effect on my family!)
MedicPerson
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No, interviewers should be be judging you (morally) in their interviews. They should judge you on your thinking process and your suitability to do medicine.

Furthermore a lot of med school interviews are separate from personal statement vetting, meaning that the interviewers will not actually get to read your PS.

FInally, even if you are asked about it, you can talk about what you have learnt from your brother's OD and how it inspired you to help other people coping with drug addiction and managing overdose etc. etc.
Thank you, I appreciate your answer
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MedicPerson)
Sorry if this comes off as silly. But when you say "be honest", do you mean I should be honest on my reluctancy or to be honest about my brother's overdose? Will it put me at any disadvantage because they may think I will follow in his footsteps ( Which I will certainly not as it has had a devestating effect on my family!)
if they don't ask about it, which is highly likely, don't mention it. if they do mention it, you need to have rehearsed something that thoroughly explains why you thought to mention it. if you make it clear you've learnt from it, they won't mind.
MedicPerson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
if they don't ask about it, which is highly likely, don't mention it. if they do mention it, you need to have rehearsed something that thoroughly explains why you thought to mention it. if you make it clear you've learnt from it, they won't mind.
I did learn from the experience and felt as though it has changed me as a person in general. I can't tell if it's depression or something else, but I feel a lack of care for my own life. I fear death a little less, and try to live my life in order to create a difference. When I die, my possesions will be gone, but the difference I made or my legacy will forever remain. Even if the differece is ever so small...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads