Does anybody do A Level Film Studies? What are the exams like?

Watch
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What the title says. 😂 Also, what things will I need to achieve in the exam?
Kev lad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ratchet Hoe)
What the title says. 😂 Also, what thing will I need to achieve in the exam?
Init I’m so confused as well 😂 is the exam like a film n we analyse coz how can it be paper related when it’s literally “film” ting 🤷*♂️
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Kev lad)
Init I’m so confused as well 😂 is the exam like a film n we analyse coz how can it be paper related when it’s literally “film” ting 🤷*♂️
I thinks it’s going to be like English Literature when we analyse the techniques that the movie used, and why they used it. But that’s only my assumption 😂
SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ratchet Hoe)
I thinks it’s going to be like English Literature when we analyse the techniques what the movie used, and why they used it. But that’s only my assumption 😂
You are correct. I've done AS Film and am now onto A2, and the exam papers ask you questions about the film's you are studying in relation to themes, contexts, techniques, etc. You also have some coursework - in my case, it was to either make your own short film or write a screenplay for one. Here are some examples of questions that were asked in my AS exams:

Compare how sound (diegetic and non-diegetic) creates meaning in a key scene from each of the films you have studied. [20]

Compare representations of gender in both of your chosen films. Make reference to key sequences in your response. [40]

Explore how the use of cinematic techniques encourages the spectator to identify with a key character in the film you have studied. [20]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.62%
Less motivated (147)
75.38%

Watched Threads