The Student Room Group

It doesn’t matter what university you go to.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelinahx
Apparently yes, but this opinion is so incredibly unpopular on The Student Room that I’m surprised I even shared it. Do y’all ever go out? And meet people? With lived experiences?

uh yeah, i've literally been out 4 nights in a row.. what's your point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
correct.

it's not "herp derp, prestige uni on cv? i choose dis person", it's all the stuff that happens before that CV is ever even seen. prestige is just a proxy of quality, the actual prestige itself is meaningless without the consistent stream of quality talent backing it

Posted from TSR Mobile

That can be achieved without the context of a quality university which is why there are people who never went to university who are immensely successful. If you’re dependent on a university to achieve those things you’re probably going to end up working for somebody else for the rest of your life because that’s not innovative <3
(edited 5 years ago)
uh yeah, i've literally been out 4 nights in a row.. what's your point

Posted from TSR Mobile

That’s not my point. Do you go out and meet people with lived experiences? I know people in high-paying jobs and not one of them has said that their uni was integral to their success.
That’s not my point. Do you go out and meet people with lived experiences? I know people in high-paying jobs and not one of them has said that their uni was integral to their success.

uh, yeah. do you think i'm just arguing for fun and banter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
uh, yeah. do you think i'm just arguing for fun and banter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah.
That can be achieved without the context of a quality university which is why there are people who never went to university who are immensely successful. If you’re dependent on a university to achieve those things you’re probably going to end up working for somebody else for the rest of your life because that’s not innovative <3

well that's great, the minority of exceptionally self-motivated and industrious individuals who can make things happen out of thin air does not disprove the rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
Not really always down to talent. A lot of it comes down to £££.

big correlation between £££s and talent/intelligence/polish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah.

ah, likewise

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have to rant. I have to get this off of my chest because there are so many of you, especially on here, who start stressing over university applications and predicted grades before you’ve even entered sixth form. So many of you spend your summers studying and “preparing” for the next year to “get ahead” for university. So many of you are young and underage and live with your parents and have your mental health compromised as a result of stressing over university and outdated and misinformed information.

The truth is that university has lost its relevance. League tables don’t matter anymore. You are not guaranteed a job just because you went to a top university. This is especially true in London. I’m 18 and I live by myself in London and I work part-time as a barista. My coworker is 24 and has a BA from UCL. He works part-time and makes as much as I do whilst working five different part-time gigs to make ends meet.

I know secretaries who graduated from Cambridge. I know team members with business degrees. I know waitresses and sales associates with university degrees. I also know 22 year old Soho bankers who didn’t go to university. I know 27 year olds who make enough money to travel the world with a HNC from their local college and district managers with degrees from Manchester Metropolitan.

Everybody has a degree in London. You going to UCL does not make you stand out from the crowd and you are not special just because you went to York or Manchester or Bristol or UCL like you were 15 or 20 years ago. Apart from an initial “oh wow”, your degree has no significance in the real world and employers certainly don’t care whether you went to UCL or Surrey or Sussex. What matters is your experience. Your personality and your ability to learn new things instead of copying them from a textbook.

So many of you are tragically misinformed and you’re compromising some of the best years of your entire life based upon that.

For me applying to Oxford is less about employment opportunities and more about the feeling that you’ve had a world class education at a place like that :smile:
Original post by J-SP
I’m not saying the wealth is connected to the individuals studying.

If the wealthy are defining what talent or intelligence is, I am sure that would be the case.

confused.com

do you mean wealth as in cost-savings during recruiting? or wealth as in contacts to potential future clients?

i'm not sure how the wealthy can define talent/intelligence in any other way when they're both pretty objectively observed attributes
Original post by JMR2018
For me applying to Oxford is less about employment opportunities and more about the feeling that you’ve had a world class education at a place like that :smile:

That’s totally great and that’s such a valid reason to apply! But some people claim (and I also used to think) that going to an elite college automatically guarantees you a good job after university. Whilst it can help you out, you’re not guaranteed one. That was my point :smile:
That’s totally great and that’s such a valid reason to apply! But some people claim (and I also used to think) that going to an elite college automatically guarantees you a good job after university. Whilst it can help you out, you’re not guaranteed one. That was my point :smile:

literally no one who is disagreeing with you is saying that

Posted from TSR Mobile
literally no one who is disagreeing with you is saying that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought we were done arguing :-)
Original post by J-SP
Someone’s clearly had a long weekend...

You know wealth isn’t just held by individuals right?

you try downing 3/4 of a large bottle of voddy and feel normal the next day :smile:

yeah ofc, but you're being overly vague about which wealth owners you're referring to. if it's the universities themselves.. well, that makes sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poobrain01
So how juicy are employment prospects with someone who say, did a BSc and MSc at Birmingham and a PhD at Keele? How would the admittance to Keele affect opportunities? Totally not related to me whatsoever. Asking for a friend who happens to live on Mars.

Depends - is Keele the leading research department for the field? Is it an expanding field in academia or have some use in industry? In general PhDs don't do much to help employability.
Reply 95
Outside of the top 10/most reputable universities, like ones that have an excellent reputation and are in the top tier e.g Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, imperial, Warwick, etc. It’s really doesn’t matter. The tier 2 ones don’t compete against each other, if you’re not in tier 1, it doesn’t matter if you go to Kings or Exeter, Durham or Birmingham, Bristol or Bath… but what does matter is you’re in a culture and university you feel you can thrive in. I see it like the top 10 as ranking individuals and then the top 10-40 as a singular group.

It’s like having a top 10 hit, the ranking matters especially if it’s number 1 (Oxford/Cambridge) but outside of that it’s just like oh you had song a that charted? Great… if you say no11 or no20 it doesn’t matter cus it’s not top 10 or number 1 but still seen as good that it’s in the top 40. If you get my drift… I think that’s the perfect way of seeing it. No one really cares about the difference between 15 or 25. So basically outside of tier 1, don’t bother with rankings or reputation just dodge the Lower tiers like Manchester Met
Original post by 3121
Outside of the top 10/most reputable universities, like ones that have an excellent reputation and are in the top tier e.g Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, imperial, Warwick, etc. It’s really doesn’t matter. The tier 2 ones don’t compete against each other, if you’re not in tier 1, it doesn’t matter if you go to Kings or Exeter, Durham or Birmingham, Bristol or Bath… but what does matter is you’re in a culture and university you feel you can thrive in. I see it like the top 10 as ranking individuals and then the top 10-40 as a singular group.

It’s like having a top 10 hit, the ranking matters especially if it’s number 1 (Oxford/Cambridge) but outside of that it’s just like oh you had song a that charted? Great… if you say no11 or no20 it doesn’t matter cus it’s not top 10 or number 1 but still seen as good that it’s in the top 40. If you get my drift… I think that’s the perfect way of seeing it. No one really cares about the difference between 15 or 25. So basically outside of tier 1, don’t bother with rankings or reputation just dodge the Lower tiers like Manchester Met

it's really oxbridge, imp/lse, ucl, ~10 fairly indistinguishable good unis (except for maths/econ at warwick which is in the second bucket), ~9 mid-tier RGs/non-RGs unis, ~7 lower tier RGs/non-RGs, ~13 ish decent/not terrible non-RG unis.

separately there's a slew of ~20-30 institutions with strong departments in a variety of niche areas. man met fashion, london met architecture, bournemouth TV, AUB animation, etc

then everything else

this idea of "top 10" needs to die asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 97

Not. One. Person. Claimed. That.
I have to rant. I have to get this off of my chest because there are so many of you, especially on here, who start stressing over university applications and predicted grades before you’ve even entered sixth form. So many of you spend your summers studying and “preparing” for the next year to “get ahead” for university. So many of you are young and underage and live with your parents and have your mental health compromised as a result of stressing over university and outdated and misinformed information.

The truth is that university has lost its relevance. League tables don’t matter anymore. You are not guaranteed a job just because you went to a top university. This is especially true in London. I’m 18 and I live by myself in London and I work part-time as a barista. My coworker is 24 and has a BA from UCL. He works part-time and makes as much as I do whilst working five different part-time gigs to make ends meet.

I know secretaries who graduated from Cambridge. I know team members with business degrees. I know waitresses and sales associates with university degrees. I also know 22 year old Soho bankers who didn’t go to university. I know 27 year olds who make enough money to travel the world with a HNC from their local college and district managers with degrees from Manchester Metropolitan.

Everybody has a degree in London. You going to UCL does not make you stand out from the crowd and you are not special just because you went to York or Manchester or Bristol or UCL like you were 15 or 20 years ago. Apart from an initial “oh wow”, your degree has no significance in the real world and employers certainly don’t care whether you went to UCL or Surrey or Sussex. What matters is your experience. Your personality and your ability to learn new things instead of copying them from a textbook.

So many of you are tragically misinformed and you’re compromising some of the best years of your entire life based upon that.

Agree that yes experience is very often more essential than what university or degree you have but at the end of the day when a recruiter is deciding between someone who went to Oxford and someone who went to London Met, chances are they're going to go with the Oxford person. I saw this first hand having graduated from Brunel and been rejected to lots of jobs, with a friend who graduated from LSE getting offers for those same jobs (And no it wasn't the application, I helped write my friend's application!). So of course it matters, just as you say you know Cambridge graduate secretaries, I know of Oxford grads who have been accepted for politics jobs when all they have is an Art degree, when I had the experience and relevant degree. So I think its wrong to say its all experience.
I have a (first-class) BSc and an MSc from a 'Russel Group' university.

"It doesn't matter which university you go to".

Correct.

I would also add:

"It doesn't matter which university you go to, as all degrees are worthless".

Unless you are training for a specific job (e.g. midwife, nurse, graphic designer, electrician etc.). a degree is worthless; its akin to buying a £27,000 lottery ticket.

Many on here are too young to understand but you will soon find that the graduate dream is a myth except for the lucky few (those who have money, nepotism, connections and blind luck).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending