The Student Room Group

Are summer schools worth attending, if so which ones?

Hello i'm a y12 student who wants to attend a summer school in summer 2019. However, all of the ones I've seen (eg. bath and UCL) require you to be from a low socioeconomic background, or from a non selective school (I am not either of these).

The only other I've seen is imperial's but that costs £5k!
Are there any cheaper schools? Is imperials even worth it?
Reply 1
Unless you're rich, don't waste your money and summer doing something, that won't even give you any more of an advantage. In the end, universities want you to reflect on your experience and as it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's relevant to your course in some way, that should be sufficient.
Reply 2
Original post by DrDanB
Unless you're rich, don't waste your money and summer doing something, that won't even give you any more of an advantage. In the end, universities want you to reflect on your experience and as it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's relevant to your course in some way, that should be sufficient.

I'm not doing it to for my application, it's mainly because I want to learn.
Reply 3
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
I'm not doing it to for my application, it's mainly because I want to learn.

Instead of paying £5k to learn something, get a job over the summer - so that you're the one getting paid to learn something. :smile:
Reply 4
Hello i'm a y12 student who wants to attend a summer school in summer 2019. However, all of the ones I've seen (eg. bath and UCL) require you to be from a low socioeconomic background, or from a non selective school (I am not either of these).

The only other I've seen is imperial's but that costs £5k!
Are there any cheaper schools? Is imperials even worth it?

You can do tasters or masterclasses at universities for free (or very cheaply). Don't be paying £k for a summer school :nope:.

e.g. It's a bit early but more tasters will be listed here:
https://london.ac.uk/ways-study/study-campus-london/university-taster-courses
or https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses
Reply 5
Original post by DrDanB
Instead of paying £5k to learn something, get a job over the summer - so that you're the one getting paid to learn something. :smile:

I want to learn academic things, that you don't learn in a job.
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
You can do tasters or masterclasses at universities for free (or very cheaply). Don't be paying £k for a summer school :nope:.

e.g. It's a bit early but more tasters will be listed here:
https://london.ac.uk/ways-study/study-campus-london/university-taster-courses
or https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses

Are there any requirements for the masterclass? I can't see any in their website (it only says "academically able"). Also, are you sure that you don't have to come from a low socioeconomic background to go there, or things such as being the first in the family to go to university?
Reply 7
Are there any requirements for the masterclass? I can't see any in their website (it only says "academically able"). Also, are you sure that you don't have to come from a low socioeconomic background to go there, or things such as being the first in the family to go to university?

No, there's no academic or contextual requirements. But they do get booked up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I want to learn academic things, that you don't learn in a job.

What's your intended course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
No, there's no academic or contextual requirements. But they do get booked up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, even for the masterclass? Ok, thanks.
Reply 10
Oh, even for the masterclass? Ok, thanks.

Correct.
Debate Chamber is really good!
I did the medical one this summer and it was the greatest time I’ve ever had!
I did a Law summer course at a Cambridge college and it was absolutely great! Best two weeks of my year, learned a lot and got a good letter of recommendation from my law teacher who is an Oxford PHD student. Cost 6K though!
Reply 13
Original post by arianeclementine
got a good letter of recommendation from my law teacher

Not worth £6k though.
You could look into LSE CHOICE which is a summer school for students in London. they will pay for your lunch and travel, you also get erolled onto these saturday masterclasses and get paid £20 to attend throughout year 13

Quick Reply

Latest