The Student Room Group

My anxiety is taking over my life

(edited 5 years ago)
It is good that you are seeking help for your anxiety but in the meantime, you need to find a way to deal with. The trick is to take things in small steps and build up your confidence. Taking everything into consideration all at once just overwhelms you and makes you feel a lot worse! Break things into chunks and don't put too much pressure on yourself - some things will work, some things won't - but by trying you are opening up the possibility to deal with these life situations more.

Take your meeting with your friends - they have agreed to meet up which still shows that they are open to your friendship. Don't place too much expectations upon yourself - just go to meet them and see what has gone on in your friends' lives since you last met.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
It is good that you are seeking help for your anxiety but in the meantime, you need to find a way to deal with. The trick is to take things in small steps and build up your confidence. Taking everything into consideration all at once just overwhelms you and makes you feel a lot worse! Break things into chunks and don't put too much pressure on yourself - some things will work, some things won't - but by trying you are opening up the possibility to deal with these life situations more.

Take your meeting with your friends - they have agreed to meet up which still shows that they are open to your friendship. Don't place too much expectations upon yourself - just go to meet them and see what has gone on in your friends' lives since you last met.

Thanks, I really appreciate your advice. I definitely do tend to set the bar too high and place unreasonable expectations on myself when it comes to making friends. This has kind of reassured me... :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by afh1701
I'm 17, currently in Year 13, and I cannot emphasise how ****ing scared I am about doing my exams and progressing to university. I've always been an A-A* student but my only obstacle is my severe anxiety - I really think this is the year that I'm going to have a legitimate breakdown, I can feel it and I'm worried about how it's going to affect my future in the long-term.

I recently started going to counselling in July for my anxiety and depression, which was one of the best decisions I've made, but I have to wait until November/December before I can start going regularly with a new counsellor. So until I get off the waiting list, I have to suffer.

I've had 4 panic attacks this week alone... and it's only September!

My social life is also a complete shambles - I was invited to go out with a group of my old friends tommorow... the problem is that we've kind of drifted apart due to my social anxiety and I haven't spoken to some of them in around two years so, um, it's safe to say that my nerves are kind of through the roof right now.

I know this might sound like I'm being sensitive or over-dramatic, it's just that I'm worried that if I can't handle something as simple as catching up with old friends and speaking to teachers about difficulties with my work then how the hell am I going to survive living independently at university with an anxiety disorder?

It is all in your mind.
only you have the power to change how you see the world. Get to know yourself and begin to understand what makes you unique and your good traits and improve them. Once you do you will build confidence simultaneously but by bit.
Reply 4
Original post by afh1701
I'm 17, currently in Year 13, and I cannot emphasise how ****ing scared I am about doing my exams and progressing to university. I've always been an A-A* student but my only obstacle is my severe anxiety - I really think this is the year that I'm going to have a legitimate breakdown, I can feel it and I'm worried about how it's going to affect my future in the long-term.

I recently started going to counselling in July for my anxiety and depression, which was one of the best decisions I've made, but I have to wait until November/December before I can start going regularly with a new counsellor. So until I get off the waiting list, I have to suffer.

I've had 4 panic attacks this week alone... and it's only September!

My social life is also a complete shambles - I was invited to go out with a group of my old friends tommorow... the problem is that we've kind of drifted apart due to my social anxiety and I haven't spoken to some of them in around two years so, um, it's safe to say that my nerves are kind of through the roof right now.

I know this might sound like I'm being sensitive or over-dramatic, it's just that I'm worried that if I can't handle something as simple as catching up with old friends and speaking to teachers about difficulties with my work then how the hell am I going to survive living independently at university with an anxiety disorder?

What a levels are
you doing by the way and how do u revise for them?
at the end of the day considering all of the suffering in the world - take the syria conflict or even a story on bbc news rn (A landslide in Cebu province in the Philippines has killed more than 20 people, reducing hillside homes to rubble) you cant sit there and think an exam or a social event is a big deal thats incredibly narcissistic. i have abit of anxiety too and thats how i get over it all those worries its all bs in comparison
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest