The Student Room Group

Which qualifications to take - American? (French at Oxford)

Hello peeps,

I will be applying to Oxford for the French course as an American (so I will be using APs and SAT II subjects). I have the minimum 3 required

French:AP - 5, SAT II - 800 (equivalent to A*)

Math: AP - 5, SAT II - 740 (roughly equivalent to A*/A)

Chinese: SAT II -790 (roughly a A*)

I already have all the minimum required ones as well as the ones they recommended, but I am thinking of taking more pending qualifications in the following subjects:

Chinese
Comparative Government
Human Geography
English Language and Composition
English Literature and Composition
European History

I can definitely get an A* equivalent in Chinese and Comparative Government since I have taken classes, and am native. I was wondering which one of the others seem appropriate, if anyone has experience as an American or advice?

Thank you.
Original post by kaizomba
Hello peeps,

I will be applying to Oxford for the French course as an American (so I will be using APs and SAT II subjects). I have the minimum 3 required

I already have all the minimum required ones as well as the ones they recommended, but I am thinking of taking more pending qualifications in the following subjects:

Chinese
Comparative Government
Human Geography
European History

I can definitely get an A* equivalent in Chinese and Comparative Government since I have taken classes, and am native. I was wondering which one of the others seem appropriate, if anyone has experience as an American or advice?

Thank you.

IMO it would be best to take Spanish.

Is your SAT I and high school GPA good?
Original post by CollectiveSoul

High School GPA is irrelevant.
Reply 3

I do not think I can take spanish because I have had no experience with it :\\\\\

My SAT I I think is fairly competitive (1510), and apparently they do not want your GPA or your transcript for applying as undergraduate.
Hello peeps,

Chinese
Comparative Government
Human Geography
European History

Thank you.

There's a Maths AP? Calc BC?

Your other subjects don't matter - pick what you enjoy. Mother tongues aren't going to impress though.

As you probably know, you need a SAT of 1470 / ACT of 32. Your written work and admission test results will be key in securing an interview. Good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
I do not think I can take spanish because I have had no experience with it :\\\\\

My SAT I I think is fairly competitive (1510), and apparently they do not want your GPA or your transcript for applying as undergraduate.

so they don't ask for your GPA specifically, but they do want an academic reference and one of the things your referees will want to talk about is your abilities using things like your GPA as proof....unis in the UK don't care about extra-curriculars that aren't relevant to your degree (although i included a small paragraph dedicated to them in my personal statement back in the day just to show i'm normal)

Agreed. Concentrate on your written work and admissions test(s).

What grade have you just started? I'm deducing that you're not a Senior, given that you haven't chosen your final APs yet.
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon
There's a Maths AP? Calc BC?

Your other subjects don't matter - pick what you enjoy. Mother tongues aren't going to impress though.

As you probably know, you need a SAT of 1470 / ACT of 32. Your written work and admission test results will be key in securing an interview. Good luck.

so they don't ask for your GPA specifically, but they do want an academic reference and one of the things your referees will want to talk about is your abilities using things like your GPA as proof....unis in the UK don't care about extra-curriculars that aren't relevant to your degree (although i included a small paragraph dedicated to them in my personal statement back in the day just to show i'm normal)

Thank you for such quick responses: yes it is Calc BC.

As for pending qualifications, I have decided to take AP Chinese, AP Comparative Government, AP Human Geography, and AP Literature.

Some may not be relevant at all, but a definite score of 5 on AP Chinese certainly can't hurt, and I have already taken a course on AP Comp Gov and will just need to review. I will get a tutor for AP HUG and AP literature though since I have planned on taking those beforehand as well.

I have talked to my referee about the letter of rec: she will write a fantastic one for me seeing that I am one of her best students, but I will need to give her some tips for writing it since she has never written one for the UK before, only US.... although I can say that she will say that I am extremely strong and passionate for the French subject.

I will study for the MLAT and work on my Personal Statements as well, focusing on French-related extracurriculars and why I love it hahah.
Thank you for such quick responses: yes it is Calc BC.

As for pending qualifications, I have decided to take AP Chinese, AP Comparative Government, AP Human Geography, and AP Literature.

Some may not be relevant at all, but a definite score of 5 on AP Chinese certainly can't hurt, and I have already taken a course on AP Comp Gov and will just need to review. I will get a tutor for AP HUG and AP literature though since I have planned on taking those beforehand as well.

I have talked to my referee about the letter of rec: she will write a fantastic one for me seeing that I am one of her best students, but I will need to give her some tips for writing it since she has never written one for the UK before, only US.... although I can say that she will say that I am extremely strong and passionate for the French subject.

I will study for the MLAT and work on my Personal Statements as well, focusing on French-related extracurriculars and why I love it hahah.

Which college? When are you applying?
Reply 10
Which college? When are you applying?

I will probably be doing open application
Reply 11
Agreed. Concentrate on your written work and admissions test(s).

What grade have you just started? I'm deducing that you're not a Senior, given that you haven't chosen your final APs yet.

I am actually a first year undergrad in the US right now.

For the English written work, I am thinking about submitting a history research paper I did at the end of 11th grade. I believe that it is a best show case of my writing abilities since I put in a lot of effort into it, and I do not have any essays from 12th grade, since my English teacher did not assign any essays :\\\\

Do you think more pending AP qualifications would be helpful? I already have all the recommended and minimum required :\
(edited 5 years ago)
I am actually a first year undergrad in the US right now.
That complicates matters - they will expect more. You need advice from an admissions tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending