The Student Room Group

Got terrible case of the flu at uni

I’m a fresher . Literally 4 days into freshers week I caught a really nasty case of the flu i have not gotten the flu for 3/4 years so this was a shock to me. I was dizzy , aching , coughing, fever all of it .
Hence I missed Thursday’s and fridays induction sessions . I’ve contacted my tutor asking if it would be possible to catch up but he just replied my education my responsibility??? Was contacting him not a way of making it my responsibility? I don’t drink or go out I just got unlucky. Now I don’t know what to do I’ve sent emails explaining that I had the bad case of the flu but they are being ignored.
I literally have no clue how I’m meant to catch up if the information is not even on IDLE yet and people are ignoring me!??!
I’m biomedicine if that helps .
wow your uni sucks bro

lol I think they wanted you to come so you can spread the flu to all

Also your tutor sounds pretty bad so if you could you should change him/her

I am afraid there is not much more to do than to ask those doing your course to tell you about what you missed (once you feel better)
Original post by BubbleBabby
I’m a fresher . Literally 4 days into freshers week I caught a really nasty case of the flu i have not gotten the flu for 3/4 years so this was a shock to me. I was dizzy , aching , coughing, fever all of it .
Hence I missed Thursday’s and fridays induction sessions . I’ve contacted my tutor asking if it would be possible to catch up but he just replied my education my responsibility??? Was contacting him not a way of making it my responsibility? I don’t drink or go out I just got unlucky. Now I don’t know what to do I’ve sent emails explaining that I had the bad case of the flu but they are being ignored.
I literally have no clue how I’m meant to catch up if the information is not even on IDLE yet and people are ignoring me!??!

Ask any course mates what you missed and always try to contact them beforehand rather than after you miss a session.
Original post by BubbleBabby

You need to contact the unit tutors your tutor seems like a **** though and he could have worded it better.
Join the club 😭
Reply 5
Freshers Flu!

It's very normal.

Also i agree with others, your lecturer seems ****, try and change him/her if you can.

As for missed material, you probably missed , 'Books needed for this course', 'When to contact me','What to expect from this course'. I'm sure you can access the notes from your uni portal? If you don't know how, then ask your IT Services / Student Life Center.
That would be fresher's flu, pretty standard affair so your department will be expecting it. I would just email your department admin directly and tell them the situation, they'll probably either say it's not a big problem and just carry on, send you to student admin services, or if there's training involved then they'll set up something.
Tbh that's pretty typical uni lecturer behaviour. Don't stress as not much is done in the first days. Just ask a course mate what you missed.

Quick Reply

Latest